1. Post #1
    November 2009
    75 Posts

Are you stressed of time-consuming stop-motions for your films? Do you love creating keyframes for complex animations? Do you want to have smooth movements of a ragdoll or smooth transitions of a face expression to another one?

Then Director's Mod, shortly DMod, is for you.

It animates objects using user-created keyframes and smooths the animation with a linear interpolation. The current version supports physic objects (Ragdolls, props), flexes (Face expressions), color and transparency.

Keyframes:
    Each animation is saved in keyframes that are text files (.txt). Those can be put in any folder inside the main folder, allowing you to create your own directory structure. The main directory is ".../garrysmod/garrysmod/data/dmod/".
    Keyframes can be uploaded and shared with other people like ADV Dupes.
    To keep the "data/dmod/"-folder clean, you can put every keyframe of the same animation in a separate folder inside "data/dmod/" and put these folders (also known as scene folders) into folders which can be seen as categories.
    You can access the keyframes via relative paths from the data/dmod/-folder. For example "walking/breen/" will read/write the keyframes from/into ".../garrysmod/garrysmod/data/dmod/walking/breen/".

Types:
    Director's Mod comes with different animation types, shortly Types. Those determine what values have to be animated. The current version offers the Types called "phys" (animates position and angles of any physics object), "flex" (animates scales and weights of flexes) and "color" (animates color and transparency).
    The Types system is designed to read Types from separate .lua files so that you can simply add new Types in addon format and advanced LUA coders can easily write their own Types.

Scripts:
    DMod also comes with a Script system which allows you to execute as many Scripts as you want. Scripts are run at the same time with animations and manipulate them.
    This includes for example setting the angles of an animated prop toward a given object while the position values are still being changed by the animation itself.
    It's not as complicated as it sounds. You only have to write the name(s) of the Script(s) and their parameter values (if necessary) in the animation start command. Scripts are optional, meaning that you can ignore them if you don't need them.
    Scripts are like Types written in separate .lua files. You can add new Scripts in addon format and LUA coders can write them.

Official Scripts and Types will be added directly to DMod so that you only have to refresh your SVN directory or download the current version if you want to have freshly released official Scripts and Types.

Controls:
    DMod is completely controlled by console commands (Rev10 has a GUI, so commands are optional there!). This has two advantages:[LIST][*]You can use the syntax of the console. This includes the bind command, alias command and the optional amount of command arguments.
    For example, dmod_director "dmod_anim [...]; say started an animation" 4 "dmod_anim [...]; say started an animation" 2 "dmod_stop [...]; say stopped an animation" starts an animation 4 seconds after the first animation has been started. 2 seconds later, an animation will be stopped. To visualize the process, the player says something as soon as the second animation has started and an animation has been stopped.[*]LUA coders can create GUIs and Tools for DMod without great effort.[/LIST]It may sound complicated, but once you've got the hang out of it and learned all the DMod commands, it is easy to use. The most important commands are explained in the tutorial which can be found in the addon folder of DMod.
    Example commands are "dmod_new" to create new keyframes and "dmod_anim" to start animations.
    The Marker STool marks objects with names, so those can be used with DMod.

Summary:
    Director's Mod is able to do anything that has to do with temporal and interpolated changes of values. Only the certain Types are needed. Scripts allow a more advanced use of DMod.

Example videos:[LIST][*]http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=100[*]http://www.facepunch.com/threads/991...1#post25775396[*]http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...9&postcount=80[*]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh7GVBc3MM4[*]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzWtcyGyqco[*]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xjFYUKQjCk[*]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMZH6uTMPIE[/LIST]
    Download:
    Director's Mod can be downloaded per SVN now.

It's still under development. Stuff might be changed, while new features will be added and bugs will be fixed. Don't hesitate to give me suggestions for improvement and report bugs.

You don't need to worry about your animation files. If they should get incompatible with newer versions, I'll release a converter.

To add DMod to GMod, you should create a new folder in the addons folder. The name doesn't matter. Checkout the folder with this url: http://svn.gmod.de/svn/directorsmod/trunk/

You can download it from garrysmod.org, too. But I would suggest you to use SVN if you can.
    Rev9: http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=112755

After downloading, you can read the tutorial and the manual which can be found in the addon folder of DMod.

Updates:[LIST][*]Rev10Beta (not included in SVN): http://www.facepunch.com/threads/991...1#post27815817[*]Rev9: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/991...9#post25911559[*]Rev8: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/991...1#post25825611[*]Rev6: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/991...6#post24892886 [*]Rev5: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/991...9#post24733349[/LIST]
    Current state:
    Currently, I hardly have the time to continue my work on DMod. I'm too busy and I don't know if I'll get enough time for this addon in the future.

There are some planned features:
    [LIST][*]Add Cubic and Hermite interpolation (Comparision of the interpolation techniques: [no interpolation], [linear], [cubic], [hermite]).[*]Make the animation speed independent from the GMod's fps. Shortly: Make DMod real-time via OS-time.[*]Add a GUI that replaces the writing of commands completely (The commands and the command previews won't be removed).[*]Add an inflator and a finger Type.[*]Add a phys-like Type for entities without physics objects.[*]Add a Type for player angles, positions and bones.[/LIST]Don't ask when and if these features will be released. I myself would like to have these questions answered, too.

There's a tutorial inside. Read it. It explains pretty much everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Lua King x 50Useful x 33Dumb x 6Winner x 5Lua Helper x 3Friendly x 1Optimistic x 1Bad Spelling x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    5,075 Posts
    I am intrigued.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,635 Posts
    This is extremely cool and should result in some improved quality in gmod machinimas (or an increase in crappy quality ones (hard to tell what noobs would do with a tool like this)).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 15Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Merry Fuckin' Christmas
    May 2010
    5,364 Posts
    My god, this sounds amazing, can't wait for release!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Lua Helper Lua Helper x 2Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,325 Posts
    The idea's been floating around a while now, but good to see someone is finally executing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,835 Posts
    I knew I should have released my Ragdoll Animator!

Oh well.

Good luck to you, mate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    The TRUE Holly
    August 2008
    1,839 Posts
    (hard to tell what noobs would do with a tool like this).
    They wouldn't even know how to use it, but if they knew, i think they would do something like that

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 38Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    King of the Oil Refinery
    December 2008
    6,229 Posts
    Oh you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Flubascrub
    August 2009
    10,532 Posts
    Of course.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Qatar Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Bitch please, i am FABULOUS
    July 2008
    1,374 Posts
    Hmmmm...

Proceed...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    1,267 Posts
    Any server that we can test on? Or is testing private only.

12. Post #12
    The TRUE Holly
    August 2008
    1,839 Posts
    JokeSpeaker doesnt want me to host a server with it until the version is more Online compatible but till then i will make some videos to entertain you <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2009
    1,267 Posts
    Horray.

14. Post #14
    April 2008
    170 Posts
    Looks cool!
    Good luck with it!

15. Post #15
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    Noooo

I have a project just like this but I couldn't figure out ragdolls and didn't try color yet

noooo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Late Late x 2Funny Funny x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,388 Posts
    I'm confused, is there a way to directly select bones and manipulate them with a visible arrow/circle to move/rotate? Does it use an actual keyframe system so if I set a keyframe on frame 1 and then frame 60 of the same position, then have a different one at frame 30, it'll play through like that?

17. Post #17
    Box collector
    October 2005
    545 Posts
    This idea has been floating around for a very long time. This has been a project of mine for a few months, so people should expect like 3 of these mods to come out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

18. Post #18
    August 2009
    1,267 Posts
    I'm hoping it will be sorta like pivot, or maybe you pose the ragdoll, select plus make a frame, then repeat until you have an animation. Will there be a saving system?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2009
    410 Posts
    Looks fucking amazing!

Will a rollercoaster with seats work? Or does it not support entities?

20. Post #20
    November 2009
    75 Posts
    Any server that we can test on? Or is testing private only.
    I don't know yet. If one of my friends can host a server, I may give him an online compatible version. It's not guaranteed.

you pose the ragdoll, select plus make a frame, then repeat until you have an animation.
    This. But instead of selecting something, you have to execute the console command with it's parameters. It's not hard and with practice faster than GUIs.

is there a way to directly select bones and manipulate them with a visible arrow/circle to move/rotate\
    No. This could be done with some STools.

Does it use an actual keyframe system so if I set a keyframe on frame 1 and then frame 60 of the same position, then have a different one at frame 30, it'll play through like that?
    Yes.

Will there be a saving system?
    You can save frames in optional directories within the dmod/ data folder. See:
    Frames or scenes can be uploaded and shared with other people like ADV Dupes. You'll find them in the folder ".../garrysmod/data/dmod/".
    Scenes are nothing else than folders having frame files.
    That's all what you need to save for DMod. If you meant something else then tell me.

Will a rollercoaster with seats work? Or does it not support entities?
    It supports everything that has physics, flexes or is colorable.
    In theory, the only entity that DMod doesn't support is the world itself. The question is only if the Type supports it.
    "phys": Supports anything with physics. Animates position and angles.
    "flex": Supports anything with flexes. Animates flex "weight" and scale.
    "color": Supports anything that is colorable. Animates color and transparency.
    I'll write an "ent" Type that supports animating the position and angle values of non physics objects.

Keep going with the feedback. Those cheer me on doing the work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,102 Posts
    Oh my god, I can't wait for this to come out!

Good work OP!

22. Post #22
    September 2009
    1,147 Posts
    They wouldn't even know how to use it, but if they knew, i think they would do domething like that

AHAHA i rofl at the only comment on the video.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    The TRUE Holly
    August 2008
    1,839 Posts
    I made a video, to show how its working.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Useful Useful x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Bitch please, i am FABULOUS
    July 2008
    1,374 Posts
    Looks a bit laggy to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    The TRUE Holly
    August 2008
    1,839 Posts
    Yeah, but if i make more interpolations (smoother) my computer will start to lagg :P

26. Post #26
    November 2009
    75 Posts
    Looks a bit laggy to me
    Depends on the given fps and interpolations per frame. He used a total of 45 fps, little enough for a laggy animation. This flex animation test uses a better total of fps.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,243 Posts
    Looks freaking great, useful for Machinimas.

28. Post #28
    I'm Solo.
    April 2010
    467 Posts
    That vid nutcake posted reminds me of runescape animations.

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,870 Posts
    Meh, I'd only really be interested if you could accomplish human-like swaying motions, which typically wouldn't be all linear.

Technically speaking, that would depend on the animator, but you should do some motion-based research on how to get this looking decent for the average Joe.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,388 Posts
    Also, will you give us the option to choose between multiple smoothing techniques? Or maybe even write our own? SFM has taught us that jerky, unsmoothed animation is no good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,243 Posts
    Animations smoothness depends on the animators skill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2009
    1,267 Posts
    Wait, quick question, if i were to have a a ragdolls have to the right, then the next frame to the left, would i be a smooth transaction or would something else.

33. Post #33
    Dennab
    June 2010
    1,870 Posts
    Animations smoothness depends on the animators skill.
    Tools can always limit or blossom an animator's creativity.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,657 Posts
    This looks REALLY fun to use
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    75 Posts
    Technically speaking, that would depend on the animator, but you should do some motion-based research on how to get this looking decent for the average Joe.
    I thought of quadratic and cubic spline interpolations, but I still have to do some research since I haven't had them in school yet. The first release will have linear interpolation only. Also, average Joes should either try harder or have weak animations.

Also, will you give us the option to choose between multiple smoothing techniques? Or maybe even write our own? SFM has taught us that jerky, unsmoothed animation is no good.
    See above. And you can set how fast the animations run and how many interpolations should be done. Theoretically, you could have 1000 fps out of a ten seconds animation with 10 created frames. The only limitation would be Garry's Mod itself or your PC.
    And yes, you can write your own interpolation technique. It's executed in the type itself. You have to write/edit a type. These get i.a. the frametable and the current animation position as parameters.

Wait, quick question, if i were to have a a ragdolls have to the right, then the next frame to the left, would i be a smooth transaction
    Yes.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,317 Posts
    This'll be perfect for machinimas, and looks really fun to use.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,048 Posts
    I read dictators mod :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Killed postal with a fart once.
    December 2007
    8,144 Posts
    like pivot,
    a saving system
    I really hope this happens.
    I am SO used to Pivot.

39. Post #39
    June 2010
    133 Posts
    I hope that it is like pivot...
    if it is... oh well...
    *me insta-downloads this addon*

40. Post #40
    March 2010
    689 Posts
    This seems like its going to be nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)