1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,018 Posts
    i didnt see a thread for this for the last 6 pages, so if there is another thread lock this one

Homepage

Wikipedia posted:
    Ragnarok Online (Korean: 라그나로크 온라인, alternatively subtitled The Final Destiny of the Gods), often referred to as RO, is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game or MMORPG created by GRAVITY Co., Ltd. based on the manhwa Ragnarok by Lee Myung-jin. It was first released in South Korea on 31 August 2002 for Microsoft Windows and has since been released in many other locales around the world. Much of the game's mythos is based on Norse mythology, but its style and settings have been influenced by a wide variety of international cultures. The game has spawned an animated series, Ragnarok the Animation, and a sequel game, Ragnarok Online 2: The Gate of the World, is in development. Player characters interact in a 3D environment but are represented by 2D character sprites for front, back, side and diagonal facings.
    Ragnarok Online has over 50 different jobs, including merchants, paladins, thieves, snipers, clowns, and many other unique classes that no other mmo has.

Screenshots

Media

(will work on a better op later)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    May 2010
    1,917 Posts
    I played on 2 private servers with my friends, SaratayRO (shut down) and some other one I forget. Both were giant grindfests though.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    802 Posts
    I'm playing a private server now called DreamerRO. Has everything the original has but more.
    Never really liked the real Ragnarok. But if you do join DreamerRO add me on my priest: jusayin.
    here is the site: http://lr.dreamer-ro.net/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Swayoung
    June 2005
    579 Posts
    I never could get into this game it always felt very boring to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,174 Posts
    played the official loki server, the test valentine server, and a few private servers here and there. it gets boring after a while in both official and private because you're either
    a: grinding for experience or
    b: grinding for loot to make gear.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,412 Posts
    RO has existed for at least 8 years now, it's horrible outdated with today's MMO's.

And korean.

That said, back then it was an awesome game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,174 Posts
    did they add in third tier classes or is it only on korean servers

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    Ah the memories :allears:

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    I was hoping for an MMO where you play as a viking fucking shit up.

And all I got was this weaboo bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,018 Posts

do you even know what weeaboo is?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    802 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=weaboo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Spiky, unnaturally colored hair that defies gravity. Check.

Every character has unnaturally big eyes, and small face. Check.

Quasi-Medieval clothing that makes no sense. Check.

Animal parts mixed with human ones. Check.

Its weaboo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    RO has existed for at least 8 years now, it's horrible outdated with today's MMO's.

And korean.

That said, back then it was an awesome game.
    Even by todays standards RO is one of the greatest MMOs. It offers what most other MMOs don't which make it unique and in some ways more fun. Having said that, you can't really compare it to MMOs like Guild Wars or World of Warcraft.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2010
    1,917 Posts

Its weaboo.
    Urban Dictionary posted:
    A negative term directed to anyone overly obsessed with Japanese culture to the point where they become annoying.Used frequently on the image boards of 4chan. Most weaboos are uneducated about their obsession of choice and are often noobs who are overly zealous, trying to impress others with their otaku knowledge. Another trait of a weaboo is their desire to "be Japanese". While the two terms are often fused together, weaboos are very different from anime fans or enthusiasts. A fan may be just as enthusiastic and knowlegable about Japanese culture, mainly anime, but they neither boast about their knowledge nor call themselves otaku(because of its known negative connatation).
    Non weaboo status

Told[]
    TOLD[X]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Its still weaboo if its freaky anime bullshit. Not to mention weaboos play it.

Oh and by the way, you have a weaboo avatar. Another trait of weaboos is having men that are indistinguishable from young girls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    May 2010
    1,917 Posts
    hahahaha, oh wow

I'm not even gonna bother explaining what game my female avatar is from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,209 Posts

Oh and by the way, you have a weaboo avatar. Another trait of weaboos is having men that are indistinguishable from young girls.
    You have no idea what you are talking about, actually. A weaboo is an english person who thinks he's asian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    802 Posts

stop fucking using that word if you don't know what it means. holy shit.
    you can't going around labeling ANYTHING that resembles Japanese culture or even HINTS OF Japan, weaboo. seriously its getting annoying
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    6,987 Posts
    Someone is a bit too defensive, methinks.

I played this when I was like ..12? I loved it back then but it was horribly grindy.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    Someone is a bit too defensive, methinks.

I played this when I was like ..12? I loved it back then but it was horribly grindy.
    Yeah, and there were some very fucking sick lifeless pepole, one guy made it to 85/50 in one sitting.
    Of course private servers had higher rates, so it was quicker, but that was on a 3x rate server too.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    By the way, it has a sequel in the works. There was a RO2 before, but it got scrapped, and it promises that it will be a worthy sequel.
    It's called legend of the second or something, they did an interview, it looks awesome so far.
    http://forums.irowiki.org/showthread.php?t=60378

22. Post #22
    January 2010
    755 Posts
    Most of my time spent playing this game is probably just sitting.
    Being a new player I don't have the skills or money for healing. After a fight I usually have to sit down and wait for my health to regenerate on its own. Why did they make it regen so slow? What is the point of that?

Edited:

Oh, also, bots. Bots everywhere.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    Most of my time spent playing this game is probably just sitting.
    Being a new player I don't have the skills or money for healing. After a fight I usually have to sit down and wait for my health to regenerate on its own. Why did they make it regen so slow? What is the point of that?

Edited:

Oh, also, bots. Bots everywhere.
    You probably have terrible Vit.
    And I never encountered bots, so it's the server you play on.

24. Post #24
    February 2010
    195 Posts

Its weaboo.
    omg every mmo is a weaboo games guys!!!

25. Post #25
    January 2010
    755 Posts
    You probably have terrible Vit.
    And I never encountered bots, so it's the server you play on.
    I'm playing thief so I don't usually put points into Vit.

I'm playing on the free Valkyrie server, so Gravity probably cares less about bots and spam on that server. I actually discovered this crazy bot highway last night where a seemingly endless stream of identical rogue bots passed by taking the same route.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,439 Posts
    As far as I know I think Ragnarok 2 wasn't actually scrapped, it's just exclusive to Internet Cafes in China or Japan or Korea or wherever the fuck Ragnarok is from.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    As far as I know I think Ragnarok 2 wasn't actually scrapped, it's just exclusive to Internet Cafes in China or Japan or Korea or wherever the fuck Ragnarok is from.
    Korea, and the old one, Gate of the new world or what got cancelled because it was shit, and it felt like a wow clone.
    Now they are making a new sequel, that promises to be much like the first one, but upgraded.

28. Post #28
    Gay Member #1
    Dennab
    November 2009
    5,519 Posts
    I'm playing thief so I don't usually put points into Vit.

I'm playing on the free Valkyrie server, so Gravity probably cares less about bots and spam on that server. I actually discovered this crazy bot highway last night where a seemingly endless stream of identical rogue bots passed by taking the same route.
    I started this today, and I gotta say its pretty good. I also play the free Valkyrie server~

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    I started this today, and I gotta say its pretty good. I also play the free Valkyrie server~
    What class do you play? I suggest making a hunter as a first character, it is a good first class.
    After that the Mage-Wizard branch, after that the thief branch.
    Also, if you feel like it, you could try to be a taekwon ranker. Requires extreme grinding, but you can slap anyones shit.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,174 Posts
    private servers are full of people from the phillipines.

31. Post #31
    March 2010
    3,235 Posts
    This was my MMO of choice a LONG time ago. When I used to play IRO and there wasn't a free server, hordes of Rogue bots were a problem. Back then they seemed to primarily go after Eluminum and Old Blue Boxes. When they added the cash shop and its equipment that makes hunting the normal version semi pointless, it was the last straw.

On very rare occasions I play on P Servers. A majority of the time though, its Filipinos/Malaysians/Brazilians who 1 shot stuff you are attacking and have full sets of over powered Donation equipment or spamming chat with how we should RUSH!! to buy their overpriced wares.

Plus, Gravity single handedly made forge Smiths pretty much useless. Why bother to buy player made weapons when there is a shit ton of findable elemental weapons floating around the market? Not to mention they have had the SAME DAMN FORGE LIST SINCE IT WAS IMPLEMENTED. They could have added some of the otherwise findable things that don't have an element. Hell, they coulda added Holy, Shadow and such as possible elements to have a weapon forged. Nah, the cash shop and the fucking Tae Kwon class got priority.

And to end what ended up turning into a rant, it pisses me off that they pretty much made Tae Kwon like a normal class, just without rebirth or a 3rd tier, yet Ninja and especially Gunslinger received no such treatment. Gunslinger in particular is one of the worst implemented classes in the game. Wanna use an element that isn't Holy and don't want to lug elemental converters around or have a sage following you around? You gotta use the slow as shit, only has a single, unremarkable and takes a long ass time to get skill Grenade Launcher. Archers have special arrows and a skill to make said arrows. WHY have they not made a similar skill for Gunslinger, with bullets to go with it?

Ok, I'm done. Sorry for rantin'.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    Thanks OP now I want to play this again, only to stop after 2 weeks realising that it's shitty now :colbert:

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,174 Posts
    the official servers went into cash shop?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    the official servers went into cash shop?
    Yeah, and even on the free servers they block some things, like fly wings...
    So you better off at a private server, that has no inbalanced donation items.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,174 Posts
    i'm pretty sure private servers have donation cash shops where they have ex items where it's wings and shit like that but with card slots which make it totally gay, but there's also an option to grind for a shit ton of materials to make non-ex version which don't have the card slots.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    try heRO, as far as I know it has no donation items.
    Also ratemyserver.net is your friend.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    15,174 Posts
    yea i'm done playing ro because i've spent so many hours on both official and private it's getting boring.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,984 Posts
    I would play again, but I can't find a good European server that has normal rates and stats, and has no imbalanced donation items.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    5,439 Posts
    I've played on ForsakenRo for quite awhile and it's been my favorite server so far.

It has donation items but they are not donation exclusive, you can get them without donating and they're not super ultra overpowered donation items.

http://forsaken-ro.net/

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    2,247 Posts
    Oh man, I'm having a fucking nostalgia attack.