1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,919 Posts
    I'm sorry this isn't on YouTube but i promise you its worth watching.

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1068...t_archief.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Friendly Friendly x 20Artistic Artistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    May 2010
    1,014 Posts
    Amazing footage, I've never seen this before.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    416 Posts
    Incredible

4. Post #4
    August 2010
    110 Posts
    Coool...

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,889 Posts
    Really makes you think when you see planes with pilots in them just, throwing themselves at your ship.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,845 Posts
    the Kamikaze never had enough fuel for return trip, so they just do as ordered.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,795 Posts
    Holy shit.

8. Post #8
    August 2010
    93 Posts
    I bet they start crying before they nose dive into the ships.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    If someone calls you a whore, salute them!
    July 2007
    13,659 Posts
    Really makes you think when you see planes with pilots in them just, throwing themselves at your ship.
    You should think what they felt like when they saw this coming at them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohka
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    September 2008
    194 Posts
    Rated heart, really made me think.

11. Post #11
    September 2008
    782 Posts
    Man, Japan has GOT to have the shittiest war track record. Kamikaze, rape, suicide over surrender. The culture has too much pride to be strategically efficient.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,356 Posts
    What? It's a great tactic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2010
    1,792 Posts
    Man, Japan has GOT to have the shittiest war track record. Kamikaze, rape, suicide over surrender. The culture has too much pride to be strategically efficient.
    As if rape and massacre weren't efficient in achieving the goals of the Japanese Empire.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2007
    1,393 Posts
    Japan has been like that ever since Japan.

Edited:

As if rape and massacre weren't efficient in achieving the goals of the Japanese Empire.
    This is also true.

15. Post #15
    September 2008
    782 Posts
    What? It's a great tactic
    Destroying your own airplanes is a good tactic? The only reason they did it was because they were running low on supplies and decided to the good ol' "NO SURRENDER KILL URSELF FOR ZEH MOTHERLAND" strategy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member

July 2007
    5,713 Posts
    Watching that video made me very thirsty.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,370 Posts
    This reminds me. I remember a story about a kamikaze pilot that somehow survived and was fully conscience. He crashed into the water. The crew of the American Carrier actaully tried to save him, but the pilot blew himself up with a greande. Kinda sad, and showed me how brain washed the Japanese population was at that time period.

18. Post #18
    August 2009
    2,272 Posts
    It's sad, most of them were forced against their will to do that. Most of them were locked inside those planes. :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    5,011 Posts
    It's sad, most of them were forced against their will to do that. Most of them were locked inside those planes. :frown:
    :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 13Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    I am not sure what you're on to.
    They blitzed the entire east from the east indies to east Russia.
    They together with the Germans were the most skilled army in the world.

They however made a critical miss calculation on their aircraft carriers and armored vehicles.

But ultimately suffered from the same problem as Germany at the time. Lack of resources.

Yeah nice footage none the less. Seen most of it already though. And much more.

21. Post #21
    October 2009
    2,074 Posts
    Destroying your own airplanes is a good tactic? The only reason they did it was because they were running low on supplies and decided to the good ol' "NO SURRENDER KILL URSELF FOR ZEH MOTHERLAND" strategy.
    They weren't doing suicide planes early on in the war. It was a late war desperation tactic that I guess you could say was sort of effective. At that point in the war the Japanese airforce was in shambles regardless.

They had a really weird culture at the time. At least compared to the western ideas. They were brainwashed into thinking that Americans were truly evil and a lot of them believed it till their death

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    They weren't doing suicide planes early on in the war. It was a late war desperation tactic that I guess you could say was sort of effective. At that point in the war the Japanese airforce was in shambles regardless.

They had a really weird culture at the time. At least compared to the western ideas. They were brainwashed into thinking that Americans were truly evil and a lot of them believed it till their death
    And likewise.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,791 Posts
    Actually, no. Japan began using the kamikaze because it was the most effective attack they had against ships, not because they wee low on supplies. Hence why they even went on to develop thousands of specialized kamikaze planes and pilot-able bombs. Americans assumed that they were becoming desperate when we came closer to the mainlands, but that's when kamikaze attacks were used the least. Why? They were building up a kamikaze army for the invasion of the homeland. They built hundreds of camouflaged runways, hundreds of thousands of specialized planes, and saved and trained nearly a million pilots for the sole purpose of close-quarters suicide bombing. One kamikaze pilot could take out one ship or at least create massive damage- it would take several hundred bombs to do just that. The kamikaze was a dangerously effective tactic.

24. Post #24
    October 2009
    2,074 Posts
    I am not sure what you're on to.
    They blitzed the entire east from the east indies to east Russia.
    They together with the Germans were the most skilled army in the world.
    No.
    The Japanese military at the time was lagging behind in EVERYTHING technology wise. They had a weird mindset. They thought "if it worked before why change it or fix it?" but that mindset doesn't work when all the other nations around you are advancing ahead and you are just sticking to what "works".

They lacked everything a military needs.
    The only thing they were on par with partially was planes. Their planes were faster and better at outmaneuvering then the American counter parts but they lacked the heavy armament and numbers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    No.
    The Japanese military at the time was lagging behind in EVERYTHING technology wise. They had a weird mindset. They thought "if it worked before why change it or fix it?" but that mindset doesn't work when all the other nations around you are advancing ahead and you are just sticking to what "works".

They lacked everything a military needs.
    The only thing they were on par with partially was planes. Their planes were faster and better at outmaneuvering then the American counter parts but they lacked the heavy armament and numbers
    I said skills. You said resource. I think you're missing the point.

Like i said before. Their choice for cheap disposable aircraft carriers (british idea) was a dumb one for use against the US. And the lack of natural resources meant they had only few armored vehicles.

However, against equal and superior equipped defending forces in the east indies, china and hong kong they fared well.
    The idea was to form a southeast asia Empire that could provide all resources Japan needed.

26. Post #26
    October 2009
    2,074 Posts
    sami-pso;23968460[B posted:
    ]I said skills. You said resource. I think you're missing the point.[/B]

Like i said before. Their choice for cheap disposable aircraft carriers (british idea) was a dumb one for use against the US. And the lack of natural resources meant they had only few armored vehicles.

However, against equal and superior equipped defending forces in the east indies, china and hong kong they fared well.
    The idea was to form a southeast asia Empire that could provide all resources Japan needed.
    1. Even in the skill department they weren't the greatest. But really that can be said for any conscript army, there's its good divisions and its bad.

2. That was a factor, but part of it was just their own ignorance and unwillingness to embrace change. And once they finally did it was too late and slow.

3. Yeah on equal ground they did well. Really they even surpassed that Chinese army in a lot of ways.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,734 Posts
    I'm much more interested in the kind of propaganda and government these pilots had to endure to
    drive them into this insane acting.

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    5,753 Posts
    Remember Toyota? These aren't suicides, Japan just can't make brakes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Remember Toyota? These aren't suicides, Japan just can't make brakes.
    I think you're confusing Americans with Japanese. Because Americans just buy more and more Prius despite the brake issue. Like how they didn't top buying suv's while most of the road car accidents involved suv's.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Main Force Patrolin'
    August 2006
    5,252 Posts
    :frown:

I feel sorry for both sides...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,153 Posts
    I think you're confusing Americans with Japanese. Because Americans just buy more and more Prius despite the brake issue. Like how they didn't top buying suv's while most of the road car accidents involved suv's.
    Wow, are you serious? It was the fault of toyota not the americans. You know, the company that was actually sued not by a few people but by the nation itself for covering up a very fatal problem with their vehicles? I don't think it's fair to blame japan for toyota's mistakes, but I don't know what you were on in the above post, japan was massacring and raping ridiculously during world war 2 (and other wars, in fact). Few countries actions have sicked me more than the japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort..._comfort_women

to observe the full extent of the sick fucks that were in the japanese army, scroll down and there's actually a picture of one of the victims sitting beside a US soldier.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Yeah being serious. Not even lying.

I don't think you understand what kind of sick shit they've done to people if you use comfort women as argument.

Pretty sure any army has soldiers raping people. Not saying it's not a problem. Just saying that what they did is not something unfamiliar to us in the west.

Besides, the western world has a history of armies and rebels raping women.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,118 Posts
    Kamikaze means "Divine Wind" right? more like flying fire cracker :/

34. Post #34
    August 2009
    224 Posts
    Oh wow, that first one missed. Sucks for him.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,105 Posts
    You should think what they felt like when they saw this coming at them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohka
    I prefer the US name, certainly fits them. Luckily those were too expensive to produce in greater numbers and most were shot down by the AA guns.

Also, everyone talks about the plane version, but never about the suicide bomber on land. They did exist, particularly on the Eastern-East front, where they would usually be used to destroy tank/kill the tank crew. Although that was one of the main reasons why the Light Tanks were of any use for Soviet Union in WW2 (Japanese had horrible armor, which although amphibious (Soviets had amphibious armor earlier, most of it was destroyed in initial German attack, and the rest scraped for lack of armor and firepower), thus allowing for prolongation of use of BTs.).

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,153 Posts
    Yeah being serious. Not even lying.

I don't think you understand what kind of sick shit they've done to people if you use comfort women as argument.

Pretty sure any army has soldiers raping people. Not saying it's not a problem. Just saying that what they did is not something unfamiliar to us in the west.

Besides, the western world has a history of armies and rebels raping women.
    I'm perfectly aware of the other kinds of sick shit they've done to people, including using POWs for bayonet practice, having them run races and slicing apart the slower ones, etc. but if you honestly think there's much worse than dragging around small children and using them as rape slaves then you need to seriously reconsider your world views.

And yes, other countries still have problems with soldiers raping enemy women and the US had a problem with it in vietnam, but it's not that japan just does it, it's how MUCH it happens. In almost every single one of their wars there has been horrifying amounts of brutal rape crimes. It's one thing if a rogue soldier rapes a woman because he's a freak and it's not condoned by the other members of the army, but it's another thing if the army is actually setting up camps to rape often extremely young women.

I'm not a fan of the US's military record either (I'm not american by the way, canadian) but there's no way to argue that america's war crimes are anywhere near that of japan.

37. Post #37
    November 2009
    9,942 Posts
    This reminds me. I remember a story about a kamikaze pilot that somehow survived and was fully conscience. He crashed into the water. The crew of the American Carrier actaully tried to save him, but the pilot blew himself up with a greande. Kinda sad, and showed me how brain washed the Japanese population was at that time period.
    They had a video on that. Then the americans finished him off.

Edited:

I prefer the US name, certainly fits them. Luckily those were too expensive to produce in greater numbers and most were shot down by the AA guns.
    Most were shot down because the bomber got shot down.

Also, I remember people trying to crash into carriers in bf1942.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    736 Posts
    The video isn't working for me, what was it about?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    5,919 Posts
    The video isn't working for me, what was it about?
    Old WW2 footage of Kamikaze Pilots

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    3,109 Posts
    If I was locked in one I would just try to land it somewhere else.