1. Post #1
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,144 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10572375.stm
    BBC posted:
    Facebook has announced it will allow a "panic button" application on its social networking site.

The button, aimed at children and teenagers, will report abuse to the UK Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre (Ceop) and Facebook.

Once installed, the application appears on their homepage to say that "they are in control online".

The launch follows months of negotiation between Ceop and Facebook, which initially resisted the idea.

Ceop, the government law enforcement agency tasked with tracking down online sex offenders, called for a panic button to be installed on social networking sites last November.
    Bebo became the first network to add the button with MySpace following suit, but Facebook resisted the change, saying its own reporting systems were sufficient.

Pressure mounted on Facebook following the rape and murder of 17-year-old Ashleigh Hall by a 33-year-old convicted sex offender, posing as a teenage boy, who she met on Facebook.
    Forty-four police chiefs in England, Wales and Scotland, signed a letter backing Ceop's call for a panic button on every Facebook page.

'Reassurance for parents'

The agreement to launch a child safety application is the culmination of months of negotiation between Ceop and Facebook.

Jim Gamble, Ceop's chief executive, said in a statement: "Our dialogue with Facebook about adopting the ClickCeop button is well documented - today however is a good day for child protection.

"By adding this application, Facebook users will have direct access to all the services that sit behind our ClickCeop button which should provide reassurance to every parent with teenagers on the site."

Facebook's head of communications in the UK, Sophy Silver, told BBC News that the new app would integrate reporting into both Facebook and Ceop's systems.
    "Both sides are happy as to where we have got," she said.

"We still have the Facebook reporting system and by having a pre-packaged application that users play an active part in, you not only help keep them safe, it makes all of their friends aware too, and acts as a viral awareness campaign.

"Ultimately though, this makes for a safer environment for users and that's the most important part," she added.

In addition to the online reporting application, a new Facebook/Ceop page is being set up, with a range of topics that, it is hoped, will be of interest to teenagers, such as celebrities, music and exams. It will link these subjects to questions about online safety.

It's such a stupid idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Bahrain Show Events Agree x 63Funny x 2Disagree x 2Late x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2010
    16,187 Posts
    It's not mandatory, but it shouldn't be there in the first place if parents controlled their childrens internet usage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 46 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2009
    3,535 Posts
    Well, I can tell that this is going to be a huge failure. I just know that someone will abuse it every time someone says something that the person doesn't like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 66 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2009
    4,127 Posts
    Couldn't this get abused somehow? Like if one child/teen doesn't like another child/teen or someone they had a argument on the net over FB, they'll just press the panic button...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21Late Late x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    1,429 Posts
    CEOP: Everyone is a pedophile
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 77Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,484 Posts
    Couldn't this get abused somehow? Like if one child/teen doesn't like another child/teen or someone they had a argument on the net over FB, they'll just press the panic button...
    I'm sure it'll get abused a bit, but of course Facebook will prepare for that as well.

7. Post #7
    Once installed, the application appears on their homepage to say that "they are in control online".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 31 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,820 Posts
    :f5h::smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 110Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2007
    3,497 Posts
    This.

I can think of plenty of people that would go to a library and just report everyone they don't like
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,257 Posts
    So fucking retarded, and half of these people are going to be whores who have their titties hanging out on their default pictures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,890 Posts
    I'd laugh if it didn't actually do anything and they just put it there to shut people up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,724 Posts
    Yep, everyone do their part, press that shit as fast and as often as possible, wherever, whenever.

13. Post #13
    May 2009
    4,010 Posts
    hey facebook!
    why can't you just add decent security just like everyone wants you to?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,352 Posts
    So... It's a rape whistle for Facebook?

15. Post #15
    June 2010
    590 Posts
    This is so stupid.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    I'm not sure if I understood the purpuse of the button, is it there so you can report sex offenders/pedos?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,913 Posts

IN CASE OF PENETRATION, PRESS BUTTON
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    832 Posts

Oh well that was easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    8,634 Posts
    That is fucking stupid

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,267 Posts
    Stupid idea, a little kid isn't going to know when to press it and when not to. And if they are a teenager then they should be smarter then that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    I thought the very point of grooming a kid is that they don't realise you're a pedo until it's too late.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

22. Post #22

January 2010
    614 Posts
    I thought the very point of grooming a kid is that they don't realise you're a pedo until it's too late.
    Exactly, so what does this button acheive?

Oh no this person wasn't who they said they were, better run home and press the Facebook panic button. Woopsy I can't do that because I'm now kidnapped by this person.

I can also see kids using it on teachers who they don't like. Though hopefully it shouldn't be as easy as click a button to get someone in big trouble.

23. Post #23
    March 2008
    1,128 Posts
    Hmm, this nice boy wants a date with me, better press the button, just in case...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,606 Posts
    Push button, receive waaaaaamulance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,571 Posts
    It's a stupid idea but I'm amazed by the amount of 30-40 year olds hitting on my female friends who are like 16/17
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    926 Posts
    Greeaaat now whoever made that fake facebook account of me will get the panic button hit and the police will swarm me for picking my nose.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,792 Posts
    It's a stupid idea but I'm amazed by the amount of 30-40 year olds hitting on my female friends who are like 16/17
    Well then the panic button won't apply to them, since they're 16 and thus old enough to consent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    14,564 Posts
    Clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick clickclick!!!

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    This will be misused to hell.

30. Post #30
    I LOVE ANIME AND MAGICAL GIRLS BUT DONT TELL ANYONE
    January 2008
    11,522 Posts
    suddendly, your mother is a pedo. And so is your uncle. And so are you.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,792 Posts
    suddendly, your mother is a pedo. And so is your uncle. And so are you.
    No John, you are the paedos.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2010
    2,852 Posts
    I look forward to not using it at all.

33. Post #33
    Into The Lasagnaverse
    October 2008
    1,573 Posts
    I see 4chan abusing this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    I DON'T KNOW YOU. BUT I <3 YOU. SUCK ME OFF AGAIN PLZ
    July 2008
    1,799 Posts
    So... It's a rape whistle for Facebook?

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,609 Posts
    Christ, can't they teach kids common sense and thinking for themselves!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    June 2010
    118 Posts
    So it reports the UK Child Exploitation , what if your not in the UK?

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    2,466 Posts
    I wish they would get some decent method of protection :frown: So many people I know are in or have been in regular contact with obvious paedophiles.. And it's not about being stupid or not just young girls are pretty easily exploited.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,628 Posts
    Oh wow, I don't see this working.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    31,161 Posts

40. Post #40
    July 2009
    3,886 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 9Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)