1. Post #1
    September 2009
    2,474 Posts
    (NORTHERN CALIFORNIA) - Years ago, a friend of mine, a good Christian lady, had a child with "failure to thrive". She had CPS all over her, looking for even the tiniest trace of child neglect. They found none. The child was well cared for, but she just didn't seem that interested in eating. Her bottles often went half finished.

I believe that those bottles of formula, given from birth, were major part of the problem. Our bodies make chemicals called "endocannabinoids" that are closely related to THC and cannabidiol (CBD). Endocannabinoids control many bodily functions and are excreted into breast milk. When lactating female rabbits were injected with CBD, a non-psychoactive, plant-derived cannabinoid, there was "a significant accumulation of the drug in milk."

Endocannabinoids are also detected in human and cow's milk, with the highest levels occurring the day after giving birth. This healthy dose of naturally-occurring endocannabinoids stimulates the suckling reflex in newborn mammals, including humans.

When newborn mice are given a chemical to block the effect between endocannabinoids and their CB receptors, the mice simply don't know how to eat. Yet, if the blocking agent is mixed with an equivalent amount of THC, the mice eat and grow normally.

CB receptors work kind of like an ignition switch. First, you need the right kind of "key" (the right-shaped cannabinoid) to go into the "keyhole" (the receptor) to turn on the "engine's" action (suckling, stopping pain or inflammation, or maybe killing a cancer cell). Phytocannabinoids (cannabinoids from plants, like THC) can mimic the effects of your endocannabinoids - they can turn on the same "ignition switches" as your body's own cannabinoids. The blocking agents (antagonists) are like sticking a broken key stub in the keyhole. You can't get a real key in, and the engine can't turn on.

Scientists have bred mice that do not have CB receptors. They are poor, sickly things, prone to all sorts of ailments. Some scientists believe that there are people like those mice, having fewer than normal, or dysfunctional, CB receptors. And infants born with this condition have growth failure resulting from an inability to ingest food, just like those newborn mice.)

If "failure to thrive" infants were being breast-fed, they would get at least some of their mother's normal endocannabinoids from her milk. If she were using cannabis, logically, her breast milk would contain not only her own endocannabinoids, but also the phytocannabinoids, THC and CBD. In CB receptor-deficient children, an extra dose of phytocannabinoids could make the difference between "failure to thrive" and a healthy child! However, since receptor deficiency is inheritable, the mother may be deficient, too, and unable to give her child sufficient amounts of endocannabinoids in her milk.

But all this is just conjecture on my part. Just me, grouping together various studies to make a theory about "failure to thrive" babies. Medical science surely isn't going to say that having Mom smoking a little pot in the evening is going to help her baby do better, is it?

Well, tonight, I found a study that seems to say just that! It's a sad little thing - an abstract of a study on the death of babies - yet vital facts can be learned from those soulless statistical studies. This one gave the infant death rates per 1,000 live births, and the drugs, if any, that the mother used during pregnancy.

A total of 2,964 babies were drug-tested at birth to see if they were positive for drugs - cocaine, opioids or cannabis were studied. 44% of the infants tested positive for all varieties of drugs, including the 3 being studied. During the first two years of their lives, 44 babies from the original group died. Since statistics are a drag to slog through, I'll cut right to the chase - the deaths per thousand live births - the numbers tell the story.

"No drugs at birth" deaths....... 15.7 deaths per 1000 live births

"Cocaine positive" deaths.......17.7 deaths per 1000 live births

"Opiate positive" deaths.......18.4 deaths per 1000 live births

"Cannabis positive" deaths.... 8.9 deaths per 1000 live births

The cocaine and opiate babies have a higher death rate than the "No drugs" babies - that was to be expected. But look at the "cannabis" babies! Having extra cannabinoids in their bodies at birth (and likely later, from 2nd-hand exposure, or breast milk) seems to have some sort of a protective effect. The "cannabis" infants have a mortality rate almost half of what the "No drugs" infants have!

Cannabis has a remarkable safety record - it has never caused a single death by overdose, so it is safer than the Tylenol that we give to our children. Some cannabinoids, like CBD, can't get you high no matter how much you take, but are still quite effective medically. Perhaps it is time that someone considers doing a study of pediatric, non-psychoactive cannabinoid use to treat "failure to thrive" infants!
    SOURCE: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...age=1#comments
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative x 25Friendly x 1Disagree x 1Late x 1Funny x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    July 2009
    517 Posts
    I'll bet this was a high profile study.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 67Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2007
    3,497 Posts
    Yet another reason to legalize
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 67Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2010
    16,390 Posts
    I bet the anti-Cannabis groups feel like idiots right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    April 2008
    677 Posts
    Holy shit this is great news. Another major discovery to fight on our side.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    September 2009
    2,474 Posts
    best news I've heard all this week

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,098 Posts
    In other news fox claims that cannabis causes satan to rape your dog and your testicles to shrink.

More at 11.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 67Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,610 Posts
    er i still think it may be a little risky to smoke pot whilst pregnant
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 64Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2007
    3,497 Posts
    3:19 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...age=1#comments
    3:20 PM - mKTank: mortality exists for a reason
    3:20 PM - mKTank: population control
    3:20 PM - mKTank: dont fuck with it
    3:20 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: so you're pretty much saying that weed is not bad not because it causes death, but prevents death
    3:20 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: gj
    3:21 PM - mKTank: it modifies nature and thus it's harmful
    3:21 PM - mKTank: and it's not necessary
    3:21 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: it isn't harmful
    3:21 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: it's the exact opposite
    3:22 PM - mKTank: we're not getting into this shit again. you want to be cool and edgy, go ahead and smoke it, not gonna stop you
    Apparently idiots that say it's bad to begin with will pull anything out their ass to defend that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,817 Posts
    These "cannabis babies"... Is there any current knowledge of how the cannabinoid chemicals affect their growth in later life yet? Anything on how they are at slightly-later stages, like bodily structure, mental capacities? I guess it's too early to find out, or nobody's done that kinda research just yet...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

11. Post #11
    This is the dumbest thing I have read in the past week
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 66Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    878 Posts
    3:21 PM - mKTank: and it's not necessary
    I actually almost just threw up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 3 (list)

13. Post #13

July 2010
    14 Posts
    just legalize it, god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,415 Posts
    If I remember correctly, smoking weed while pregnant also causes the baby to have trouble focusing, and increased risk of developing ADHD or ADD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    July 2008
    865 Posts
    I am kinda worried about the worlds over population, but birth control should sort that out.

16. Post #16
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,428 Posts
    Care to explain why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Dennab
    October 2008
    3,389 Posts
    If I remember correctly, smoking weed while pregnant also causes the baby to have trouble focusing, and increased risk of developing ADHD or ADD

you mean they'll be bored in school? yikes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2007
    3,497 Posts
    Johnny, would I be banned for posting the rest of the chatlog?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2009
    2,474 Posts
    i turned out pretty OK, in fact better than OK in my opinion. I'm good with school work , I'm really well educated, pretty focused.
    no signs of ADD or ADHD ever.

:razz:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Unless it's really long and there's nothing relevant in it probably not

21. Post #21
    June 2009
    1,445 Posts
    I think I'll take this one with a few million grains of salt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    Legalize, sure. But there has to be some kind of limit. I wouldn't enjoy seeing the streets filled with high people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2007
    3,497 Posts
    Tell me if you want it snipped. I blocked him after that because he'd just go on about how I'm apparently some government hating anarchist just because I tell him that the sites saying that weed is harmful are bullshit and it's all been scientifically disproven.

3:25 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: even JohnnyMo says you're an idiot
    3:30 PM - mKTank: he's a faggot
    3:30 PM - mKTank: and just because two dumbasses think smoking is cool doesn't mean they're right
    3:31 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: no, but scientific studies proving that it's not only harmless but benificial and you still pulling things out your ass makes you an even bigger idiot
    3:32 PM - mKTank: right, it fucking up your body is beneficial alright
    3:32 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: it's been PROVEN that it doesn't
    3:32 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: the smoke does
    3:32 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: the weed doesn't
    3:32 PM - mKTank: you're an idiot for thinking it may have some positive effects, but you can't run away from the negative
    3:32 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: there ARE no negatives
    3:32 PM - mKTank: guess what, like 99% of people who do weed smoke it
    3:32 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: guess what, that doesn't make weed harmful
    3:33 PM - mKTank: i dont care if you and your cool friends are all into this vaping shit, most people still smoke the shit, hence why the law banning it exists
    3:33 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: then why aren't cigarrettes banned
    3:33 PM - mKTank: it's too late to ban them
    3:33 PM - mKTank: too many people smoke
    3:33 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: they're smoked AND are bad for you no matter how you do it
    3:33 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: spoiler: just as many people smoke weed
    3:33 PM - mKTank: lol no
    3:34 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: do you do ANY research, or do you just assume that if someone disagrees with you that they're wrong
    3:35 PM - mKTank: let's see
    3:35 PM - mKTank: both parents are doctors
    3:35 PM - mKTank: it's not hard to learn this shit
    3:35 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: if they were doctors then they'd know that it's harmless
    3:36 PM - mKTank: unless you think their combined 10 years of medical expertise is inferior to how you and your friends look shit up on the internet like a bunch of coolface people
    3:36 PM - mKTank: lol
    3:36 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: no, I think that the scientific studies make your parents opinion inferior
    3:36 PM - mKTank: i figured you'd say that
    3:36 PM - mKTank: it's funny how you keep coming back to this argument
    3:37 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: it's funny how you're yet to shoot it down
    3:37 PM - mKTank: if you truly thought it was harmless, you'd just shut the fuck up and leave me out of your decision making process, specifically when you don't even take anything i say seriously
    3:37 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: I'm not using your skewed opinion to form my decision
    3:37 PM - mKTank: hah, running to your friends going "baww, look what mktank said baww call him an idiot so i can feel better about myself thx"
    3:38 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: and for your information I've been sober over a week now
    3:38 PM - mKTank: then stop bringing this shit up because obviously there's no changing your mind
    3:39 PM - mKTank: you'll ignore the articles mentioning negative effects and dismiss them as being government bullshit and then you'll go to sites like salem news and base your entire decision on that
    3:39 PM - mKTank: i can't help you
    3:39 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: that's beause all the government bullshit has been disproven
    3:39 PM - mKTank: but of course
    3:39 PM - mKTank: because the government's out to get your ass
    3:39 PM - mKTank: they have nothing more important, like running a country
    3:39 PM - mKTank: oh no, everything's a conspiracy they made up
    3:40 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: totally, because it isn't being legalized or anything
    3:40 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: no sir
    3:40 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: still 100% illegal
    3:40 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: if I went to cali right now I could legally get it because I have insomnia
    3:40 PM - mKTank: of course, start sucking their dick when they finally do what you want
    3:40 PM - mKTank: how typical
    3:40 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: when did I EVER imply that
    3:41 PM - mKTank: lol
    3:41 PM - mKTank: insomnia alright
    3:41 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: you're saying that I'm saying the government is lying, I'm saying that the government is allowing it to be legalized
    3:41 PM - mKTank: last time we argued, you shot down all my articles since they were apparently government propaganda
    3:42 PM - The Reverend Tholomew Plague: that's because they were
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,235 Posts
    IF YOU HATE WEED YOU HATE BABIES!!!!!!111111!11!111
    /caps

Edited:

Legalize, sure. But there has to be some kind of limit. I wouldn't enjoy seeing the streets filled with high people.
    Sort of like a legal limit for beer?
    Because that sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,745 Posts
    Who said smoke?
    You can eat it or vape it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2007
    3,497 Posts
    IF YOU HATE WEED YOU HATE BABIES!!!!!!111111!11!111
    /caps

Edited:

Sort of like a legal limit for beer?
    Because that sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    I think he means more like you can't be walking around with a bong in your hand, and you'd have to either do it in a home or a designated area. Which seems completely reasonable to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,745 Posts
    These "cannabis babies"... Is there any current knowledge of how the cannabinoid chemicals affect their growth in later life yet? Anything on how they are at slightly-later stages, like bodily structure, mental capacities? I guess it's too early to find out, or nobody's done that kinda research just yet...
    Uh, i'm sure a huge portion of the population born in the 60's are "cannabis babies"

Weed can be used to treat ADHD, i don't think it would be a cause for it.

28. Post #28
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,792 Posts
    420 smoke weed erry day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    17,111 Posts
    I think he means more like you can't be walking around with a bong in your hand, and you'd have to either do it in a home or a designated area. Which seems completely reasonable to me.
    Basically this. I look at it in the way that the actually "high" part is the side-effect.

30. Post #30
    Tell me if you want it snipped. I blocked him after that because he'd just go on about how I'm apparently some government hating anarchist just because I tell him that the sites saying that weed is harmful are bullshit and it's all been scientifically disproven.
    Oh no apparently I'm a faggot and I didn't even know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,264 Posts
    I like where this thread is going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    March 2010
    2,456 Posts
    I seriously hope he's trolling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    February 2010
    6,215 Posts
    I love the "both my parents are doctors" bull.
    Both my parents are doctors too (well, my mom's a NP, but same diff) and we've smoked as a family before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,887 Posts
    Why is it illegal, again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Peru Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #35
    I love the "both my parents are doctors" bull.
    Both my parents are doctors too (well, my mom's a NP, but same diff) and we've smoked as a family before.
    It's called argument from authority.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,118 Posts
    Because it corrupts our children yo

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    5,887 Posts
    Because it corrupts our children yo
    according to this it makes them healthier (technically), son

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2007
    3,497 Posts
    I seriously hope he's trolling.
    sadly, no.

Hemp. I'm assuming you already know that, but if you don't I HIGHLY recommend you watch a movie called The Union. It's free to watch via google video, and I'm pretty sure that they encourage you to distribute it, so you should be in the clear if you torrent a copy. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, though.

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    Too bad legalizing will only provoke more people to smoke joints in public to look cool.

It would be best to keep the 'hurr i um cool smoke weed erryday losers' away from the general group who smokes a bong inside to enjoy it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,031 Posts
    Is this mKTank guy a user on Facepunch or something?

It really surprises me that he could figure out the registration process.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)