1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    10,833 Posts
    Sorry if this is a horribly obvious or previously answered Question,
    But my friend got the orange box so we played Synergy together, and it kept bugging me that the G-Man called me "Mister" while everyone else in the game calls me "Doctor". Is there any Special signifigance to this or is it just me?
    Yes i know i am like 5 years late.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Ireland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    December 2009
    354 Posts
    He wants to sound professional, I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    10,833 Posts
    But you are a Doctor, and everyone else says specifically "Doctor Freeman"
    Even the people telling you to reload, they dont just say freeman, they say "Doctor Freeman".

Surely there is some significance about this?

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

June 2009
    7,594 Posts
    Variation.

Gets boring calling Gordon doctor all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2010
    940 Posts
    Because he's a pretty cool guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2009
    953 Posts
    He says "Doctor Freeman" in Episode Two.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Informative Informative x 9 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    502 Posts
    Maybe because he doesn't recognize Gordon as a theoretical physicist, but as an employee or individual. It seems proper in hl2+ anyway, since Gordon isn't a scientist anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    I can buy a title to replace to the one someone bought me
    December 2007
    4,073 Posts
    He only says mister in the beginning of HL2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2010
    58 Posts
    I thought that he was a professor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,059 Posts
    If he's going to send you to your death, he could at least be polite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Loves bratwurst, hates jews
    July 2008
    2,873 Posts
    If he's going to send you to your death, he could at least be polite.
    Exactly.

What if he sounded like 50 cent?

Oh dear god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,450 Posts
    It shows how G-Man sees Gordon. Lower his self-image. If G-Man can get Gordon to not feel that amazing, he's much easier to manipulate. That's why he doesn't mention the doctor part, but just mister, like Gordon is just an average joe.

Psychology 101
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 43Informative Informative x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,130 Posts
    He's your employer. You're no doctor to him. He treats his employees with respect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

14. Post #14
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,450 Posts
    ruined merge
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,255 Posts
    fuck you gman I didn't stay in school just so you could call me mister
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Appreciates Subtle Titles
    April 2009
    6,789 Posts
    He calls him "Doctor" Freeman a few times in Ep2. Namely when he first reappears while Alyx is being healed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    It's denigrating. It's him saying "I am better than you" in only one word. Think about it. Freeman EARNED the title of Doctor. To ignore that is a pretty major insult.

You'll note that the few times he does call him "Dr. Freeman", it's when Gordon is outside his direct control, and he's at least somewhat relying on Gordon choosing to help him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,415 Posts
    Exactly.

Oh dear god.
    Rise n' Shine, Bitch. :smug:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 42Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    You'll have to speak up. I'm wearing a towel.
    January 2007
    762 Posts
    Probably because there's nothing scientific about hitting shit with a crowbar
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,603 Posts
    Rise n' Shine, Bitch. :smug:
    Is ye boy here. You gotta wake up and smell all that burnt stuff, you know? DAMN it's been a long time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Qatar Show Events Funny Funny x 37 (list)

21. Post #21
    June 2010
    17 Posts
    He calls him Doctor in EP2 specifically because in HL2 and EP1, he manipulated you and used you to help the resistance defeat the Combine. In EP2, he's losing that control and now must show more respect to you so you're less likely to say "eh fuck you" and walk away before he has a chance to regain control. He wants you to still think he's the good guy or at least be thinking about it until he has the chance to regain control of Gordon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2008
    1,559 Posts
    Why does G-man talk like that? It's always bugged me that he sounds like an idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,769 Posts
    Because he temporarily forgot that Gordon has a Ph.D in badassery
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Loves bratwurst, hates jews
    July 2008
    2,873 Posts
    Because he temporarily forgot that Gordon has a Ph.D in badassery
    And button pressing...

And plugging in plugs...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    January 2008
    1,247 Posts
    Yes i know i am like 5 years late.
    More than 11 years actually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 6 (list)

26. Post #26
    June 2010
    666 Posts
    But you are a Doctor, and everyone else says specifically "Doctor Freeman"
    Even the people telling you to reload, they dont just say freeman, they say "Doctor Freeman".

Surely there is some significance about this?
    Follow Freeman?

"Hey, it's Freeman! Let's follow him!"

etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,868 Posts
    He was a doctor 50 years ago
    And I guess the combine don't take people with PHDs very kindly now days.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,023 Posts
    It shows how G-Man sees Gordon. Lower his self-image. If G-Man can get Gordon to not feel that amazing, he's much easier to manipulate. That's why he doesn't mention the doctor part, but just mister, like Gordon is just an average joe.

Psychology 101
    :golfclap:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,769 Posts
    And I guess the combine don't take people with PHDs very kindly now days.
    I thought it was 20 years
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    2,493 Posts
    damn gordon, i see you dere in de flash. or should I say, in that dirty motherfucking hazard suit. Shiiiit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    11,232 Posts
    I always thought when he called you Dr. Freeman in Episode 2 was because he was mocking you and the resistance.

32. Post #32
    March 2010
    3,300 Posts
    Would you prefer G-Man address him as Miss Freeman?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    June 2010
    1,341 Posts
    Wow, Alyx looks damn fine for a pentagenarian.

34. Post #34
    July 2009
    4,037 Posts
    Is ye boy here. You gotta wake up and smell all that burnt stuff, you know? DAMN it's been a long time.
    Yo, the homie nigga at the wrong hood. Dawg, so much shit can happen like... DAMN!

So boi, wake up son, wake up and smell that burnt shit on the ground.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

35. Post #35
    November 2009
    29 Posts
    i always though he refered to you as "doctor" in ep. 2 because hes starting to loose. we see the vortigaunts "blocking" him. we dont see him again 'till mid ep. 2. If hes loosing he needs to get freeman back on his side. Apealing to gordon's better nature could be one of these tactics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    February 2010
    2,718 Posts
    Would you prefer G-Man address him as Miss Freeman?

0:43 and 1:08.

He already has.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,350 Posts
    Exactly.

Oh dear god.
    Come on Gordon get your ass back in the vehicle
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    3,894 Posts
    Because Gordon is male?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,747 Posts
    Because Gordon's last name is Freeman
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,781 Posts
    Because Gordon is male?
    Because Gordon's last name is Freeman
    Truth.:monocle:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)