1. Post #1
    June 2010
    3 Posts
    Hey, since the search function won't let me search, does any one know/want to make a Cthulhu model and/or npc? Thank you for your time.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,398 Posts
    Google.

Wrong section.

Rage.

3. Post #3
    May 2005
    9 Posts
    no

(User was banned for this post ("Not helpful" - PLing))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    1,963 Posts
    look at the little portion above models/skins, see where it says model/skin requests? try and remake this thread there.

5. Post #5
    Cthulhu is probably the most-requested model that will never be properly made.

If you've actually bothered to read The Call of Cthulhu, you'll know that he has impossible geometry.

"The Thing cannot be described—there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled. God! What wonder that across the earth a great architect went mad, and poor Wilcox raved with fever in that telepathic instant? The Thing of the idols, the green, sticky spawn of the stars, had awaked to claim his own."

Like R'lyeh, Cthulhu cannot be rendered by a simple graphics system, one that works with Euclidean geometry.

"He said that the geometry of the dream-place he saw was abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours." "One could not be sure that the sea and the ground were horizontal, hence the relative position of everything else seemed phantasmally variable." "In this phantasy of prismatic distortion it moved anomalously in a diagonal way, so that all the rules of matter and perspective seemed upset." "and Johansen swears he was swallowed up by an angle of masonry which shouldn't have been there; an angle which was acute, but behaved as if it were obtuse."

There is no way to properly model Cthulhu within the limits of any game engine I know of. At best, you will get a vague mockery of the incomprehensible monster. Perhaps, with particularly ingenious shaders, you could do it.

Really, if you ask for a visual representation of Cthulhu, you are missing the point. The horror comes from the lack of visual representation. You can describe it with words, or music perhaps, but a picture or especially a model will NEVER capture Cthulhu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    5,375 Posts
    I think he means the more popularily known Cthulhu which gained it's feats from the Cthulhu statue.

Your reply is just nitpicking.

7. Post #7
    March 2010
    266 Posts
    Cthulhu is probably the most-requested model that will never be properly made.

If you've actually bothered to read The Call of Cthulhu, you'll know that he has impossible geometry.

"The Thing cannot be described—there is no language for such abysms of shrieking and immemorial lunacy, such eldritch contradictions of all matter, force, and cosmic order. A mountain walked or stumbled. God! What wonder that across the earth a great architect went mad, and poor Wilcox raved with fever in that telepathic instant? The Thing of the idols, the green, sticky spawn of the stars, had awaked to claim his own."

Like R'lyeh, Cthulhu cannot be rendered by a simple graphics system, one that works with Euclidean geometry.

"He said that the geometry of the dream-place he saw was abnormal, non-Euclidean, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours." "One could not be sure that the sea and the ground were horizontal, hence the relative position of everything else seemed phantasmally variable." "In this phantasy of prismatic distortion it moved anomalously in a diagonal way, so that all the rules of matter and perspective seemed upset." "and Johansen swears he was swallowed up by an angle of masonry which shouldn't have been there; an angle which was acute, but behaved as if it were obtuse."

There is no way to properly model Cthulhu within the limits of any game engine I know of. At best, you will get a vague mockery of the incomprehensible monster. Perhaps, with particularly ingenious shaders, you could do it.

Really, if you ask for a visual representation of Cthulhu, you are missing the point. The horror comes from the lack of visual representation. You can describe it with words, or music perhaps, but a picture or especially a model will NEVER capture Cthulhu.
    omg, you are unbeliveable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    July 2010
    11 Posts
    i requested on a rl'yeh map once but not here it didnt work so well...i would love to see some other lovecraft models than cthulhu like night gaunt or a byakhee maybe someone could rip you some deep one or yithian model from dsrk corners of the earth

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,060 Posts
    How about Yog-Sothoth, also, I don't see how Cthulhu would be hard, take his size from this image.

This proves that a boat that size takes approximately a quarter of his hand, and using his proportion, you can effectively make a Cthulhu model. NPC is unlikely due to his scale, but this can be done.

10. Post #10
    April 2010
    2,662 Posts
    You cannot fully make cthulhu, He is incomprehensible and will turn you insane from a pure glance.

11. Post #11
    the fuck is this?
    November 2009
    7,215 Posts
    How about Yog-Sothoth, also, I don't see how Cthulhu would be hard, take his size from this image.

This proves that a boat that size takes approximately a quarter of his hand, and using his proportion, you can effectively make a Cthulhu model. NPC is unlikely due to his scale, but this can be done.
    that's only his upper body. also, that ship is smaller than any of his fingers, so approximately 1/4 = fail geometry. let's face it, cthulhu would not fit in the garry's mod dimension space.

12. Post #12
    that's only his upper body. also, that ship is smaller than any of his fingers, so approximately 1/4 = fail geometry. let's face it, cthulhu would not fit in the garry's mod dimension space.
    Just did the math. A schooner of that type would be about 160 feet long.

Assuming human proportions, his outstretched arms would span ten times the length of his hand. If we're assuming the ship is about the length of his palm, that means he spans 3200 feet. Interesting fact: your height is also, approximately, the distance between your outstretched arms. So he would be 3200 feet tall in that picture.

The Hammer grid is 32768 units across, and even then you run into problems towards the edge. Converting real-world units to Hammer is not simple. Characters are converted at 1 foot = 12 units, so Cthulhu would be 38400 units tall. However, level geometry is converted at 1 foot = 16 units, by which Cthulhu would be 51200 units tall. Either way, those models are too big for Source.

I'll be generous, and assume that the ship is the size of his hand. That would make him 1600 feet tall, or between 19200 and 25600 units. That would make Cthulhu possible, although he wouldn't fit into any maps I know of.

13. Post #13
    February 2010
    1,648 Posts
    I requested this before.

The thing people don't seem to understand is that he doesn't NEED to be the size as in certain pictures, just look at some of the other big ragdolls on Gmod that are huge, how come he can't be that size?