1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,144 Posts
    (April 6) -- The death of a 6-year-old Oregon girl sent to her room after exchanging cross words with her mother has been classified as a suicide by a state medical examiner.

After her mother told her to go to her room, Samantha Kuberski, a first-grader in McMinnville, Ore., crawled into an unused crib, tied one end of a belt around her neck, the other on a bar of the crib, and hanged herself, according to reports.

The incident happened on Dec. 2, days shy of the girl's 7th birthday, making her the youngest person in Oregon history to have committed suicide.

But McMinnville police investigating Samantha's death are not convinced that the girl understood the consequences of her actions. They are challenging the classification of suicide. Samantha's death, they argue, was the result of an accident.

"The disagreement is a little more philosophical than it is material to the case," McMinnville police Capt. Dennis Marks told KGW News in Portland. "It's not that we disagree with the mechanics of what happened. It's the finding that a 6-year-old could form that kind of intent."

Dr. Clifford Nelson, Oregon's deputy medical examiner, made the suicide determination based on a variety of factors, including interviews with the grief-stricken family. And Dr. Karen Gunson, the chief medical examiner for the state, said that investigators learned that the girl's parents had warned all of their children of the dangers of playing with belts around their necks.

"Statements were made by the girl that indicated she was going to kill herself," Gunson told KGW News. "She had the means and she realized that if she put something around her neck that was dangerous and could cause death -- because her parents had told her that. My contention is that shows intent."

Samantha threatened to kill herself as she was sent to her room, according to her family.

Citing a respect for privacy for the family, Brad Berry, the district attorney in Yamhill County, has refused to release police records of Samantha's death to the press. He said that no criminal charges have been filed.
    http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...-says/19428962

"If I can't have my granimals then there's nothing in this life to live for!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 73Friendly Friendly x 22Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,699 Posts
    What a stupid kid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 126Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member

June 2005
    4,438 Posts
    What a stupid kid.
    But they'll learn when they grow up.

If they grow up. :smugdog:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny x 167Dumb x 4Agree x 2Disagree x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,589 Posts
    oh wow, i wonder how the parents feel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 25Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2009
    4,109 Posts
    inb4 OMG VIDYAGAEMS!

(User was banned for this post ("Meme" - Benji))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 63Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Human Garbage
    June 2008
    9,699 Posts
    inb4 OMG VIDYAGAEMS!
    no, not really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 63 (list)

7. Post #7
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,133 Posts
    It shocks me that such a young child could consider ending it's life... It's a shame, too, she had a whole life ahead of her...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 75Bad Spelling x 5Disagree x 5Funny x 2Friendly x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    576 Posts
    There had to be signs of this coming before it happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

9. Post #9
    Peng Weed Erryday
    August 2005
    5,110 Posts
    How does a six year old learn to hang themselves?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 17Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2006
    824 Posts

"Hey baby hows it hangin.........."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 87Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

June 2005
    4,438 Posts
    How does a six year old learn to hang themselves?
    They play a lot of hangman.

SUICID_
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny x 40Dumb x 3Disagree x 1Bad Spelling x 1Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2009
    186 Posts
    That must be so terrible for the parents, what a dumb fucking kid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2010
    1,418 Posts
    It's obvious she was just trying to let off some steam with auto-asphyxiation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    15,255 Posts
    She had the means and she realized that if she put something around her neck that was dangerous and could cause death -- because her parents had told her that. My contention is that shows intent.
    This world is sad...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2010
    1,418 Posts
    Not as sad as that little girl was.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,144 Posts
    oh wow, i wonder how the parents feel
    Fox tried to get an interview with the family, but they were too choked up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 42Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,037 Posts
    They play a lot of hangman.

SUICID_
    I think the last letter is Q.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 42Funny x 5Informative x 1Dumb x 1Bad Reading x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Oh, god. I think this might have been the kid who threatened to kill herself yesterday when Facepunch went down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2010
    833 Posts
    ^It was a girl. I doubt a 6 year old girl would be on FP. A boy would make sense but not a girl.

Go figure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    12,273 Posts

Bit late with that one Google Ads.

Edited:

Jesus that's horrible though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    June 2009
    1,590 Posts
    This is extremely gruesome imo.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,351 Posts
    That's just fucking horrible :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2007
    2,328 Posts
    She probably saw it in a movie and thought that was what everyone did when they were upset, not realising it killed you. She definitely didn't know what she was doing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 36Informative Informative x 3Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    832 Posts
    Fucked up shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,299 Posts
    Well maybe she wanted to make paint to her parents so she thought kill herself. She didn't thought about consecuences....these kids..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Spain Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 7 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

June 2007
    5,036 Posts
    inb4 "This make me lose faith in humanity"

(User was banned for this post ("Meme" - Benji))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,144 Posts
    I think this fits the mood well.

28. Post #28
    March 2009
    3,125 Posts
    Smart Kid. I thought I was amazing for knowing how to talk and walk.
    This kid knew how to commit suicide.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    8,898 Posts
    Sad, but if someone is dumb enough at 6 to kill themselves, odds are they're going to die from their own stupidity sooner or later anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,351 Posts
    Sad, but if someone is dumb enough at 6 to kill themselves, odds are they're going to die from their own stupidity sooner or later anyway.
    Uhh yeah, 6 year olds =/= smart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,698 Posts
    Most people who kill themselves are actually more intelligent than normal people. The reason they do it, is because they either have an idealized version of the world that isn't coming true, so they assume that there's nothing left to live for or because they understand that it is human nature, when brought up in a competitive environment to be individualistic and they can't deal with the grey areas of morality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Useful Useful x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    966 Posts
    This is a fail of tiny proportions. :aaa:

Edited:

Most people who kill themselves are actually more intelligent than normal people. The reason they do it, is because they either have an idealized version of the world that isn't coming true, so they assume that there's nothing left to live for or because they understand that it is human nature, when brought up in a competitive environment to be individualistic and they can't deal with the grey areas of morality.
    In other words, the smarter you are the quicker you die.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,202 Posts
    inb4 OMG VIDYAGAEMS!
    Don't be silly, this isn't one of those articles that people blame video games on.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,144 Posts
    So having an idealized version of the world makes you intelligent?

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    966 Posts
    So having an idealized version of the world makes you intelligent?
    No, but most intelligent people have an idealized vision of the world that they hope to one day fulfill. When they fail, they hang!

More out of desperation for something better, I would assume. Seeing how fucked up the world is today, I'm not surprised that a lot of people are killing themselves. Uh, including 6 yr. olds. ROFL

36. Post #36
    February 2010
    555 Posts
    Although I don't know what the law dictates in the State of Oregon, but in Canadian legal code it's generally understood that children under the age of 12 do not have the metal capacity to make decisions for themselves, or at least make rational decisions based on sound facts.

I'm really sorry to hear about this, it's terrible for the girl's family.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    4,144 Posts
    No, but most intelligent people have an idealized vision of the world that they hope to one day fulfill. When they fail, they hang!
    I fail to see how this is true... in any way. Most people in general have goals, the idea of what they want out of life, which you could call ideological, but I call it just having dreams. And just because people fail at thier goals in life doesn't mean they are going to kill themselves. I don't think people of one intelligence are more likely to kill themselves than another, that seems poorly thought out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    511 Posts
    She probably saw it in a movie and thought that was what everyone did when they were upset, not realising it killed you. She definitely didn't know what she was doing.
    What films are 6 year olds watching with hanging scenes?

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    1,010 Posts
    i guess you could say... her actions were quite childish.... xD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply China Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,698 Posts
    I fail to see how this is true... in any way. Most people in general have goals, the idea of what they want out of life, which you could call ideological, but I call it just having dreams. And just because people fail at thier goals in life doesn't mean they are going to kill themselves. I don't think people of one intelligence are more likely to kill themselves than another, that seems poorly thought out.
    I did not say of one intelligence. However, the greater intelligence you have, the more likely you are to kill yourself, because you see through the facades of society, and lack the ability to change them. Which creates frustration. In most people this would cause a drive to do better in order to be in the position to change things as they see fit. However many intelligent people, such as those with genius level IQs tend to have very low Emotional development, and because of this are secluded and solitary. This could lead to suicide in that they would have no peers with which to discuss their problems and to aid them cope with the realities rather than the ideals of life.