1. Post #1

February 2010
    2,705 Posts

Fess Parker, the actor who helped launch the Davy Crockett craze in the 1950s by playing the famed frontiersman in numerous Disney productions, died Thursday of natural causes, his rep confirms to TMZ. He was 85. Born in Texas, Parker was perfectly suited to play Crockett, and kids around the country clamored to get their hands on coon skin caps because of him.

Parker played the character in a popular TV series and later a pair of feature-length films. He portrayed Crockett from his days as a Tennessee lawmaker to his death at the Battle of the Alamo.

He also starred in the beloved film 'Old Yeller' as the father and other Disney hits like 'The Great Locomotive Chase' and 'Westward Ho!'

Later in his career, he even played Crockett's fellow pioneer Daniel Boone.

In 1970, Parker retired from acting, but in 1974 re-entered TV land with his own short-lived sitcom, 'The Fess Parker Show.'

He later found success in real estate and the wine business, having started the Fess Parker Family Winery and Vineyards in Los Olivos. At the winery, you can also buy coon skin caps.

He is survived by Marcella Belle Rinehart, his wife of 60 years, and their two children.
    Source: http://www.popeater.com/2010/03/18/f...crockett-star/

I wanted to cry when I heard this. He was amazing as Davey Crockett in the old Disney films :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,543 Posts
    I'll be honest, I don't know who he is; but I do have a coonskin hat, so feel I feel a loss for my fallen brethren. :saddowns:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,517 Posts
    I used to have a coonskin hat when I went down to San Antonio to visit The Alamo, my dog tore it up unfortunately, (:argh:) and I can't find a store that sells them near me.

4. Post #4
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,254 Posts
    His coonskin cap is going to be worth a fortune now.

5. Post #5
    February 2010
    6,217 Posts
    Shit, now I want one of those hats.
    However, I still think the Ushanka is more badass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Mr Jazz
    January 2009
    38,522 Posts
    My dad told me earlier today about him dying. Fess Parker was my dad's childhood hero :gonk:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    6,233 Posts
    daniel boone was a man
    now hes a deaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,855 Posts
    That makes me want one of those hats...
    His legacy will live on