View Poll Results: Use it, or destroy it?

Voters
429. You may not vote on this poll
  • Use it.

206 48.02%
  • Destroy it.

119 27.74%
  • Other

104 24.24%
  1. Post #1
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    14,628 Posts
    As we all we know by now, before    Eli dies,    Eli tells you strictly to destroy the ship, while Kleiner thinks that it should be used against the Combine. This is quite a predicament and makes me wonder what Valve might do for Episode 3.

Should Episode 3 go interactive style and let you decide how to treat the Borealis? This would obviously determine the rest of the story because any choice would probably affect it greatly.

Also, sorry if this is old news. I just replayed Episode 2 for the gnome achievement, and this time I was actually listening to the dialogue and stuff because with all this Portal 2 stuff going around, I was more interested than usual.

I personally think they should use it, although I'm not sure what kind of power that boat may possess, Eli could be right about how there's no controlling it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,444 Posts
    Using it would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    gay mexican
    July 2006
    14,576 Posts
    Yes let's tack on arbitrary moral choices to a thus far completely linear story
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 74Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Captain Westcliff: Thinks Wales is an Island
    January 2006
    18,070 Posts
    no you cant make choices or the sequel will piss off whoever chose differently
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 35Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Dr. Conro J. Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
    July 2007
    7,713 Posts
    I think you may use it, the boat teleports, hopefully to Xen, and the boat is destroyed in the process.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

June 2007
    1,167 Posts
    Yes let's tack on arbitrary moral choices to a thus far completely linear story
    Edited:

the strictures of HL's canon dont allow for such earth-shattering choices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    December 2008
    174 Posts
    I chose not to follow the Gman in Half Life 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 34Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    October 2008
    3,543 Posts
    Destroy it in memory of Eli Vance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Friendly Friendly x 8Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9

January 2010
    45 Posts
    Use it but destroy it. Like... use it to get over to the combine establishments then destroy it causing a big explosion or what ever that causes it to destroy the combine as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,055 Posts
    I'd destroy it out of respect for Eli. I mean, his last words were specifically telling you to destroy it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Puuurple
    May 2008
    14,628 Posts
    I'd destroy it out of respect for Eli. I mean, his last words were specifically telling you to destroy it.
    His last words were, "Close your eyes, honey! Don't look!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 57Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,055 Posts
    His last words to us then.

Besides, Portal Storms, Antlions and Headcrabs everywhere, the oceans full of carnivorous Leeches and Alien Dinosaur Fish (Ichthyosaurs), most of the world destroyed, and the last remnant of humanity at war.

I'm not sure we're really in a position to fuck up again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    993 Posts
    I looked.
    I'm so disrespectful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 43 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,303 Posts
    If GLaDOS is on board, Blow it to all hell. If not... Use it. Cry soem moar Eli.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,665 Posts
    If GLaDOS is on board, Blow it to all hell. If not... Use it. Cry soem moar Eli.
    Why not? I love psychopathic supercomputers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 29Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,327 Posts
    I got an idea, they use make an achievement for either destroying or using it, and whichever achievement has more will be the main one? Or destroying it will actually lock it from being destroyed or using it destroys it in the process.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,293 Posts
    His last words to us then.

Besides, Portal Storms, Antlions and Headcrabs everywhere, the oceans full of carnivorous Leeches and Alien Dinosaur Fish (Ichthyosaurs), most of the world destroyed, and the last remnant of humanity at war.

I'm not sure we're really in a position to fuck up again.

Yeah! What could pOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOsibly go wrong?

\/\/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,147 Posts
    It should have 2 different paths, like blowing up or saving Megaton in Fallout 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    December 2009
    1,586 Posts
    "DESTROY DAT SHEEP"

"DESTROY IT, WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!"

*owned by Advisors*   

Fuck you Eli, I'm handing the keys to Good Ol' Dr.K
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    7,761 Posts
    I want to see it explode in a computer crashing display of epic-ness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,342 Posts
    no you cant make choices or the sequel will piss off whoever chose differently
    But Valve can just decide which ending is canon just like what they had done to HL1 where if Freeman refuses G-Man's offer, then he teleports him to a battle where Freeman cannot win.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,055 Posts
    Or Gman could just pull an OP4 and undo whatever you did if you didn't pick the 'right' one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2009
    10,578 Posts
    But Valve can just decide which ending is canon just like what they had done to HL1 where if Freeman refuses G-Man's offer, then he teleports him to a battle where Freeman cannot win.
    What's the point of a moral choice system if there's no impact
    It's like if mass effect decided to say fuck you and force choices on you after importing to ME2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,688 Posts
    Depends on what exactly is in it that would be used/destroyed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2008
    189 Posts

"Freeman, if you preserve the Borealis ship, think of all the technologies that will help mankind fight the combine!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,688 Posts

"Freeman, if you preserve the Borealis ship, think of all the technologies that will help mankind fight the combine!"
    And so Freeman talks for the first time:

"FUCK OFF"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    December 2008
    174 Posts

Wannabe Gman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 9 (list)

28. Post #28
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,133 Posts
    Depend on what the Borealis has.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,307 Posts
    What if it has stuffed animals in it, and the combine are allergic to them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    5,595 Posts
    Depends on what does the borealis do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,167 Posts
    I want to destroy it for the epic cinematic physics explosion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,244 Posts
    Well, if you destroy it Alyx is happy and you get laid, but if you use it everyone including you dies.
    The choice is clear here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,390 Posts
    I would destroy it, but the "free choice" will be an illusion like in Half-Life 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,244 Posts
    I would destroy it, but the "free choice" will be an illusion like in Half-Life 1.
    Pretty much, but im pretty sure you die anyway.
    Either the helicopter crashing while escaping from the explosion, or G-man himself comes in and kills you.
    And then goes away shamelessly into his stupid portal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Israel Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    Alyx has Gordon pussywhipped and she wouldn't let him go against Eli's wishes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,244 Posts
    Alyx has Gordon pussywhipped and she wouldn't let him go against Eli's wishes.
    So if you dont destroy the borealis, you die a virgin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Israel Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2009
    4,127 Posts
    Free boat ride for 3!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    February 2010
    9,920 Posts
    What exactly can the "Other" option be ?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    5,910 Posts
    Use = Xen blows up and computer crashes. end (quicksaves before explosion and deltes others)
    destroy = Boat blows up and computer crashes. end (quicksaves before explosion and deltes others)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

40. Post #40

March 2010
    4,109 Posts
    I'd destroy it.
    After playing bad company it just shows that no matter who would have the weapon we'd all be fucked.