1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    5,324 Posts
    Yahoo Sports posted:
    VANCOUVER - Hydraulic failure is being blamed for a heart-stopping error in the final moments of the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The cauldron being lit inside B.C. Place stadium was supposed to rise in four pillars from the floor with a central flame.

Instead, as music played and the four celebrity torchbearers waited, nothing happened. A hydraulic error was to blame, according to a VANOC spokeswoman.

Moments passed and suddenly three of the pillars rose, giving basketball great Steve Nash, ski icon Nancy Greene and hockey legend Wayne Gretzky the ability to bring their torches forward to send the flame shooting up to ignite the cauldron.

Speedskater Catriona Le May Doan was left standing holding her torch aloft.

Chance uses hydraulic failure! It is super effective! The 2010 Olympics is stunned!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/...ress&type=lgns

How on earth is this late? I posted this like 15 minutes after it happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Late x 14Funny x 5Informative x 5Bad Reading x 1Dumb x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,354 Posts
    One man dead, and a failed opening ceremony.

This has been a fucking disaster so far.

youch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 51Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    985 Posts
    One man dead, and a failed opening ceremony.

This has been a fucking disaster so far.

youch.
    Quit being melodramatic - a single column didn't rise which delayed a 4 hour event all of 30 seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 42 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,504 Posts
    Gretzky's expression was priceless.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    5,324 Posts
    Gretzky's expression was priceless.
    He looked so bummed the rest of the time, I felt sorry for him.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,593 Posts
    Quit being melodramatic - a single column didn't rise which delayed a 4 hour event all of 30 seconds.
    I'd put some emphasis on the one man dead thing. That was pretty rare.

The real failure of the Olympics will be when a two hour pileup try's to cross the first narrows. That'll be a Laugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    The real tragedy of the olympics will be the traffic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,593 Posts
    The traffic will be an absolute joke. Vancouver can barely sustain itself during rush hour.

I want to see if I can get downtown by bike, just to see how awful things are.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,214 Posts
    Yeah that was pretty disappointing. I mean, the ceremony wasn't bad, but that failed hydraulic system really bummed me out.

Also, the footage of how the athlete died was pretty terrifying. He fell off his sled and slammed into the beam, going from 140km to 0km in like a second. Then he just laid there limp...

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    5,324 Posts
    Right now it is pretty bad traffic because of the ceremony, but during normal days a lot of people have adopted the public transportation during this time so it is really not that bad.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,504 Posts
    The traffic will be an absolute joke. Vancouver can barely sustain itself during rush hour.

I want to see if I can get downtown by bike, just to see how awful things are.
    We get it, you don't like the Olympics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    I remember them saying they were really lucky that the opening thing for the Chinese Olympics went so well.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,593 Posts
    Right now it is pretty bad traffic because of the ceremony, but during normal days a lot of people have adopted the public transportation during this time so it is really not that bad.
    Have you ever taken the bus or skytrain downtown during rush hour? If you like being packed shoulder to shoulder in a small compartment, then our transit experience is recommend for you.

I'm fairly sure the only way to actually get anywhere in the city will be by foot, or bike. People actually going to the Olympic events will be taken by re-directed buses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    January 2010
    173 Posts
    I'm taking the skytrain to Vancouver next week and it should be pretty ridiculously crowded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    5,324 Posts
    Have you ever taken the bus or skytrain downtown during rush hour?

I'm fairly sure the only way to actually get anywhere in the city will be by foot, or bike. People actually going to the Olympic events will be taken by re-directed buses.
    Yes, yes I have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Have you ever taken the bus or skytrain downtown during rush hour? If you like begin packed shoulder to shoulder in a small compartment, then our transit experience is recommend for you.

They totally made olympic only lanes too. The nerve!

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,354 Posts
    If I said everything's going okay I'd be an optimist.

And as fuzzy and nice as that must be, I'm not.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,593 Posts
    Yes, yes I have.
    Obviously you have not been at a bad time or you would know how bad the transit option will turn out.

When I work I take the train home every day, and it's not too bad at around 2:30-3:00 (it's bearable) but gets pretty bad at 3:00-4:00. But if a train stalls, everything is fucked.

Take into account that lots more people will be taking transit due to closed roads and security checkpoints, so I'd avoid taking transit unless you really have to move around.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    985 Posts
    If I said everything's going okay I'd be an optimist.

And as fuzzy and nice as that must be, I'm not.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

It's not going peachy but it's by no means a "failure"..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,015 Posts
    Though I did think the whale thing was cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,372 Posts
    They had a very complex system and one pillar failed, yes it is unfortunate but most of the contraption did come up from the ground and it looked fine. You are just making it dramatic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,354 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

It's not going peachy but it's by no means a "failure"..
    That's subjective. Logic is hard to apply to subjecitvity. For a lot of people, the fun was sucked out of it all long before the opening ceremony
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mexico Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,708 Posts
    They had a very complex system and one pillar failed, yes it is unfortunate but most of the contraption did come up from the ground and it looked fine. You are just making it dramatic.
    What he said. You are over exaggerating. I would call the pillar thing bad luck and the lug guy's death a tragedy. None of them were failures in my book...

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    1,354 Posts
    Never used the word failure. I still think that so far it's been a disaster, which is to say, things have gone wrong. The ratio of things-gone-right to things-gone-wrong so far is not where it should be. If you don't think a man smashing into a giant metal pole at a blazingly high speed should impede anyone's enjoyment of the games and celebrity appearances, then that's pretty brutal in my opinion.

Not everyone has to agree with me. People die all the time.. Maybe I'm too nice. It's hard for me to think "Damn shame about the dead dude. When does hockey start?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mexico Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,618 Posts
    I remember them saying they were really lucky that the opening thing for the Chinese Olympics went so well.
    Wasn't a good portion of it un-cleverly hidden Chinese dick-swinging?

I mean, the girl singing wasn't even really the girl that was singing.

26. Post #26
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    Wasn't a good portion of it un-cleverly hidden Chinese dick-swinging?

I mean, the girl singing wasn't even really the girl that was singing.
    Because she wasn't cute or something.

Edited:

Olympics are dick swinging contests.

Healthy competition and whatnot

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    5,324 Posts
    Not to mention that it hasn't snowed at all and they are shipping trucks of snow to sustain one of their mountains.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    310 Posts
    My parents are currently circle jerking to the opening.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    608 Posts
    Is there a video? I don't really get what happened

30. Post #30
    December 2009
    969 Posts
    Second time we've screwed up today.. Hopefully the games won't suck as much as the opening day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    985 Posts
    See those 3 columns rising in the OP? There were supposed to be 4, but one suffered a hydraulic failure and did not rise. Apparently that rendered the entire opening ceremony a "fucking disaster" in the eyes of some :geno:

Edited:

I have a feeling the engineer who worked on the lift system isn't getting a lot of sleep tonight though..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,751 Posts
    This is what happens when you let the Canadians host the Olympics.

Edited:

nah lol jk

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    985 Posts
    This is what happens when you let the Canadians host the Olympics.

Edited:

nah lol jk
    :mad: We're improving. The first time 'round the stadium wasn't completed until 10 years after the Olympics had ended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member

November 2007
    4,572 Posts
    After seeing a devil playing fiddles then tapdancing, seeing a fucking giant polar bear, fucking whales, and other fucking amazing things, I could give less shit 4 pillars on fire fails.

this isn't a failure at all, only a minor setback.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,527 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,963 Posts
    Only one thing bad about the ceremony in my opinion, the faggy kid doing the air ballet over the wheat field, that was a disgrace. This is only a minor problem

37. Post #37
    April 2006
    428 Posts
    Only one thing bad about the ceremony in my opinion, the faggy kid doing the air ballet over the wheat field, that was a disgrace. This is only a minor problem
    yeah, that was kinda dumb. the rest of it was pretty outstanding in my opinion... except that opera singer, she scares me. the badass fiddle players and tap dancers blew my mind

38. Post #38
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    :mad: We're improving. The first time 'round the stadium wasn't completed until 10 years after the Olympics had ended.
    Wasn't it over budget and not structurally sound too?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    it's pedobear's fault
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,963 Posts
    yeah, that was kinda dumb. the rest of it was pretty outstanding in my opinion... except that opera singer, she scares me. the badass fiddle players and tap dancers blew my mind
    Agreed, the fiddle part was the best part by-far.