1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,742 Posts
    GOOD GOD WHY CAN'T I SPELL THREAD TITLES RIGHT?

overly long link to source

Forty years ago, the world thought it had conquered TB and any number of other diseases through the new wonder drugs: Antibiotics. U.S. Surgeon General William H. Stewart announced it was "time to close the book on infectious diseases and declare the war against pestilence won."

Today, all the leading killer infectious diseases on the planet - TB, malaria and HIV among them - are mutating at an alarming rate, hitchhiking their way in and out of countries. The reason: Overuse and misuse of the very drugs that were supposed to save us.

Just as the drugs were a manmade solution to dangerous illness, the problem with them is also manmade. It is fueled worldwide by everything from counterfeit drugmakers to the unintended consequences of giving drugs to the poor without properly monitoring their treatment. Here's what the AP found:

- In Cambodia, scientists have confirmed the emergence of a new drug-resistant form of malaria, threatening the only treatment left to fight a disease that already kills 1 million people a year.

- In Africa, new and harder to treat strains of HIV are being detected in about 5 percent of new patients. HIV drug resistance rates have shot up to as high as 30 percent worldwide.

- In the U.S., drug-resistant infections killed more than 65,000 people last year - more than prostate and breast cancer combined. More than 19,000 people died from a staph infection alone that has been eliminated in Norway, where antibiotics are stringently limited.

"Drug resistance is starting to be a very big problem. In the past, people stopped worrying about TB and it came roaring back. We need to make sure that doesn't happen again," said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who was himself infected with tuberculosis while caring for drug-resistant patients at a New York clinic in the early '90s. "We are all connected by the air we breathe, and that is why this must be everyone's problem."

This April, the World Health Organization sounded alarms by holding its first drug-resistant TB conference in Beijing. The message was clear - the disease has already spread to all continents and is increasing rapidly. Even worse, WHO estimates only 1 percent of resistant patients received appropriate treatment last year.

"We have seen a huge upburst in resistance," said CDC epidemiologist Dr. Laurie Hicks.
    Basically this new strain of Tuberculosis is very resistant to drugs so they don't really know how to treat it. A bunch of other drug-resistant strains of infections are popping up, mainly from people giving drugs to poor people who immigrated with the disease and the poor people misusing the drug.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 16Late Late x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    3,013 Posts
    Well I guess Africa's future is ill-fated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 17Dumb x 6Agree x 3Bad Reading x 2Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    4,133 Posts
    Wow, I will have to stay away from poor people then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,742 Posts
    Oh come on the article isn't even long, I chopped it down a ton for you guys. Read it before you post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2009
    3,013 Posts
    Oh come on the article isn't even long, I chopped it down a ton for you guys. Read it before you post.
    I read it, it's not that long. 2 minutes is ample time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,340 Posts
    Thank you medical system, for using up anti-biotics on non essential stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,604 Posts
    Thank you medical system, for using up anti-biotics on non essential stuff
    You aren't making much sense, That sentence is vague cranked up to 11.

Please read the OP...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

8. Post #8

October 2009
    4,686 Posts
    I read it, it's not that long. 2 minutes is ample time.
    You didn't even notice it was America, Not Africa.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    3,013 Posts
    You didn't even notice it was America, Not Africa.
    In Africa, new and harder to treat strains of HIV are being detected in about 5 percent of new patients.
    ?

10. Post #10
    hang you're self
    March 2008
    4,726 Posts
    Well fuck

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,478 Posts
    I'm drug-resstance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2006
    319 Posts
    Zombies...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,742 Posts
    How is this zombies? These are people fucking like rats and getting drug resistant AIDS, as well as new strains of other things.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,230 Posts
    hooray we're fucked
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    41,724 Posts
    Now applying for Madagascar work visa
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,203 Posts
    let's just keep overusing antibacterials/biotics that will do the trick

17. Post #17
    December 2009
    86 Posts
    I found a new way to fight diseases

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,530 Posts
    i blame all the chicks who carry hand sanitizer in the purses
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    147 Posts
    british people get the vaccine at birth I believe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2009
    3,725 Posts
    i blame all the chicks who carry hand sanitizer in the purses
    There is a big difference from rubbing hand sanitizer on your hands and taking antibiotics.

You really cant become resistant to Ethyl Alcohol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    4,990 Posts
    Well, wasn't it incredibly obvious this was going to happen? Think about it, why did, say humans survive? We evolved (Which is just a fancy term for a useful mutation) and were able to create and use tools, and identify threats and how to deal with them. It's plain obvious that when disease is exposed to a new threat long enough, it too will "evolve" to adapt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,123 Posts
    Can't wait for smallpox to break out and become resistant.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    XD!
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,183 Posts
    And we are still worrying about Swine flu?

God damn media overblowing worthless things. And god damn the media again for not reporting on this shit instead.

Not exactly new news though, I've read bacteria and the like been doing this in a textbook a few years old.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,925 Posts
    This is why we need nano-medicine (there is no resistance to that).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,664 Posts
    This is a prettysick story
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    ALSO KNOWN AS: Dumbass McScrublord
    October 2008
    1,623 Posts
    Just hope to god it doesn't unlock Drug-Resistance II.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    This is why we need nano-medicine (there is no resistance to that).
    no cuz they r robots and in all movies the robots hate ppl so they will turn on us and kill us all

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    I found a new way to fight diseases

Same here:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    8,036 Posts
    I don't see how this is the drug's fault. Wouldn't the disease be far more likely to mutate into a more harmful strain if there was more of them?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    Can't wait for smallpox to break out and become resistant.
    Small pox is the first living species to be intentionally made extinct by humans. It's only vector is humans, and so there really isn't any more smallpox.

We still have some samples frozen in liquid nitrogen in case we need to make vaccine though.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    4,990 Posts
    I don't see how this is the drug's fault. Wouldn't the disease be far more likely to mutate into a more harmful strain if there was more of them?
    http://www.facepunch.com/showpost.ph...8&postcount=21
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,320 Posts
    Let's all live on Mars
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,484 Posts
    The bad thing about this is, that the only way to really kill off these is to stop medication (dangerous), let the non-resistant version of the virus take over and kick the resistant one out (dangerous) and then kickstart the treatment (fucking dangerous).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2009
    4,010 Posts
    :derp:

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    629 Posts
    Let's all live on Mars
    Alright but.

Dont drink the water!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,742 Posts
    My dad had that Menicillan Resistant Staph infection a few months ago. It took over six months of treatments and finally surgery to remove that crap.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Small pox is the first living species to be intentionally made extinct by humans. It's only vector is humans, and so there really isn't any more smallpox.

We still have some samples frozen in liquid nitrogen in case we need to make vaccine though.
    :geno:

I lost about ten brain cells reading that.

Smallpox is a virus, viruses aren't alive. And even if it was it wasn't the first thing humans wiped out. Look up the Dodo Bird, and a few others.

You got it right about the CDC having samples of the virus on ice, just in case.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    16,862 Posts
    Oh my god.. I wish I could live like bubble boy :frown:

39. Post #39
    BAZ
    Dav0r, buy me a custom title. I'm far too poor ;_;
    July 2005
    12,602 Posts
    It's also people who don't finish there medication who contribute to resistance, not only over subscription.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    16,862 Posts
    This actually sounds like something my mum has.. no joke.. I hope to fucking god she doesnt have this.

"an autumn hack"