1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,688 Posts
    5 EuroStar trains broke down in the middle of the Channel Tunnel yesterday, trapping almost 2,000 people for a total of nearly 18 hours.

The trains broke down after large clumps of ice fell from the bottom of the carriages, causing a technical fault, meaning the trains had no power, and couldn't move anywhere.

Holiday makers coming home from Euro Disney said they were treated like 'caged animals' as temperatures reached 40C and water was fast running out.

Many thought they had been hit by a bomb as a loud bang caused the power to go out and the trains to stop. "No one would tell us what was going on, we were banging on the driver's door but he was just in there crying" describes a grandmother who was on one of the trains with here 2 diabetic grandchildren.

Eye witnesses thought they would die as people were passing out as EuroStar staff were telling them to 'breathe less' as their wasn't 'enough oxygen for everyone'.

Rescue trains arrived after hours of waiting, however people were escaping the trains themselves, risking their life climbing over live wires.

"We had two toilets between 1,800 people. They wouldn't open the other toilet because there was no flushing water and it was seeping with excrement. We couldn't breathe and kids passed out. Ill never travel with EuroStar again."

James Haselden , 40, from Gravesened, said, "I've never met such a rude, *arrogant bunch of people as those French people running EuroStar. We were treated like animals."

Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-21909898/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply India Show Events Funny x 41Bad Spelling x 4Late x 1Informative x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,783 Posts
    "Ok, we got a few problems here. If you think you dont need to breathe, do it".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 43 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2009
    1,918 Posts
    How about they be grateful that they got out alive instead?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Saudi Arabia Show Events Agree Agree x 45Disagree Disagree x 14 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,184 Posts
    Sweet fucking jesus. I've been on that thing a couple of times before. I remember being mildly afraid of something like this happening.

:ohdear:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 22Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    1,055 Posts
    And that's why I prefer bicycles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Chile Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    October 2008
    7,561 Posts
    Those fucking French! :argh:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,792 Posts
    The trains broke down after large clumps of ice fell from the bottom of the carriages, causing a technical fault, meaning the trains had no power, and couldn't move anywhere.
    This isn't exactly their fault
    Ok, they were real dicks about it but its not a reason to boycott them or anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,831 Posts
    Ok, they were real dicks about it but its not a reason to boycott them or anything
    Them being French is though.

:downsrim:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 36Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,182 Posts

James Haselden , 40, from Gravesened, said, "I've never met such a rude, *arrogant bunch of people as those French people running EuroStar. We were treated like animals."
    Hahahaha, fuckin frogs.

But seriously, you'd think they would have a procedure for this that didn't involve leaving people to suffocate for 18 hours.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    11,049 Posts
    Of course it's their fault, if they checked the weather and saw that it was going to snow this bad they should've made sure that it couldn't get in the electric systems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,783 Posts
    The passengers must be breatheless after that tiring experiance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 27Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,626 Posts
    Do you even know what the EuroStar crosses?

Yeah, it kinda goes under the English channel. You can't bike over that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 21Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    56 Posts
    "I've never met such a rude, *arrogant bunch of people as those French people running EuroStar. We were treated like animals."
    "Ok the trains are broken, feel free to drink a lot of water and breathe in panic so we all can die as soon as possible"

Edited:

Google maps recommends swimming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 16Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,182 Posts

No, but you can take a pickup truck.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,405 Posts
    It wasn't even the companies fault. The trains broke down due to ice, and there wasn't enough air, so people were told to breath slower. They (the company) couldn't really do anything else until rescue arrived.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,626 Posts
    No, but you can take a pickup truck.

Just don't take a camper-van.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Sour Grapes
    March 2007
    4,708 Posts
    Why did you change every instance of 'Eurostar' in the article to 'EuroStar'?

It's not called 'EuroStar'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    July 2009
    1,783 Posts
    Just don't take a camper-van.
    Or a triumph herald
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,688 Posts
    Why did you change every instance of 'Eurostar' in the article to 'EuroStar'?

It's not called 'EuroStar'
    I don't think it really matters

20. Post #20
    Sour Grapes
    March 2007
    4,708 Posts
    I don't think it really matters
    It does because you went through the whole article and changed the correct format to an incorrect format.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,688 Posts
    It does because you went through the whole article and changed the correct format to an incorrect format.
    I didn't copy and paste the article, I wrote it in my own words after reading it in the paper, I used that article as a source. I only copy and pasted the quotes at the end and I changed it in that because I didn't want to go through all of what I had written to change it all. I do apologise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply India Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,017 Posts
    I didn't copy and paste the article, I wrote it in my own words after reading it in the paper, I used that article as a source. I only copy and pasted the quotes at the end and I changed it in that because I didn't want to go through all of what I had written to change it all. I do apologise.
    that's stupid

you made grammatical errors and portrayed incorrect information

you really shouldve just copy&pasted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 3Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    5,025 Posts
    Breathing less makes sense, people wouldn't run out of oxygen as fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    56 Posts
    Duhh, doubt that anybody thought they just were into breathplay S/M
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    42,018 Posts
    I don't get it. Why would there be a lack of oxygen? It's a tunnel that's open at both ends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    56 Posts
    I don't get it. Why would there be a lack of oxygen? It's a tunnel that's open at both ends.
    Maybe the AC wasn't working, it's a long and thin tunnel that is shaped a bit like U, so the heavier CO2 stays there better than oxygen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,440 Posts
    But then you'd feel lightheaded because you're breathing less
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,420 Posts
    I don't think it's about whether breathing less makes sense, or whose fault it was that the trains broke down because of ice.

I guess it's about the manner in which people were told to breathe less, and about how apparently nobody cared to apologize.

Maybe it was similar to how AirFrance personnel once treated my girlfriend and me at the Paris airport: Our flight from Munich (about 1000km) was an hour late, and the connecting flight was already waiting. So when the plane had landed, the stewards and stewardesses were literally shooing people off the plane, shouting "Allez allez allez!".
    I mean, ok, they were in a hurry, and I do have a sheep for an avatar, but it's not like the passangers on that plane were a fucking sheep herd or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

29. Post #29
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,983 Posts
    Over the English Channel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,688 Posts
    The tunnel is over 20 miles long and underwater
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply India Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,440 Posts
    The tunnel is over 20 miles long and underwater
    I think you've misunderstood the meaning of "underwater" in this case
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    1,202 Posts
    That's a great way to keep everyone calm.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,420 Posts
    I think you've misunderstood the meaning of "underwater" in this case
    No, the thing is that in a 20 mile long tunnel, there won't be a lot of fresh air coming in. If you use up the oxygen in the middle, you'll suffocate unless you've got some means of circulation, or a real strong wind blowing in.
    Try breathing through a 20 foot snorkel. The effect is similar. (actually, don't try it underwater. You might die. Seriously.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,298 Posts
    Way to handle that one, France
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    i enjoy sucking pony dick
    November 2006
    1,545 Posts
    That, strictly speaking, (from the photograph at least) isn't a Eurostar, but I get the point.

Uhh. The channel tunnel has a pretty impressive safety record. 15 years of service and no (Or so I think) deaths (There have been reports of fatalities of asylum seekers getting hit in the service tunnel, but those are pretty much conspiracy theories about UK government cover-ups.)

In theory, the eurotunnel employees were just talking crap. The ventilation systems in the tunnel (Consisting of two huge systems at each end) were running fine, and air was certainly circulating the tunnels, but the fact is the air conditioning and insulation on the trains was just too good. Opening the air-conditioning cocks (make a joke plx) would have given some natural ventilation, but that can only be done from the trackside, and none of the regular employees were trained.

Eurostars run at 186mph, weigh almost 800 tonnes, and have seats for 750 people. There are 31 to maintain and run, and the technology used isn't much different from TGVs of the 1970s. Maintaining a 400 metre train is no mean feat, and one electrical short can put the whole thing down.

It's not that massive a fault, but it's weird that they didn't send any rescue services in sooner.

ITT: The brits+frenchs that were trapped will probably live. And it's not like it was some huge case of negligence, it's a design fault made by a frenchman/englishman some 15-30 years ago (depending on when the underfloor equipment was designed)

Edited:

No, the thing is that in a 20 mile long tunnel, there won't be a lot of fresh air coming in. If you use up the oxygen in the middle, you'll suffocate unless you've got some means of circulation, or a real strong wind blowing in.
    Try breathing through a 20 foot snorkel. The effect is similar. (actually, don't try it underwater. You might die. Seriously.)
    There are huge ass fans at each end of the tunnel for ventilation, and they were all running when it happened. "Breath less" wasn't really neccecary.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2009
    195 Posts
    Yeah actually, its every reason

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    56 Posts
    Yeah actually, its every reason
    I know, a fault in the train, and they asked you to conserve air so it wouldn't get so damn uncomfortable there without even saying that "We're sorry"! That is so outrageous!

38. Post #38
    i enjoy sucking pony dick
    November 2006
    1,545 Posts
    I know, a fault in the train, and they asked you to conserve air so it wouldn't get so damn uncomfortable there without even saying that "We're sorry"! That is so outrageous!
    It wouldn't have got that bad. I was on a Eurostar for 3 hours when the AC had failed. Sure it was sweaty and uncomfortable but it wasn't fatal. They would've been fine.

39. Post #39
    Modelrator
    February 2005
    4,157 Posts
    That, strictly speaking, (from the photograph at least) isn't a Eurostar, but I get the point.
    Isn't that the Eurostar's car for vehicles? Just crowded with people because it was probably too hot inside the passenger cars.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    56 Posts
    It wouldn't have got that bad. I was on a Eurostar for 3 hours when the AC had failed. Sure it was sweaty and uncomfortable but it wasn't fatal. They would've been fine.
    If it was moving forward that would've changed the air well enough...