1. Post #1
    August 2009
    987 Posts
    By Ajax framework, I mean the client using Ajax to do a PHP function and things happen on the page.
    I've used Sajax and jQuery and Sajax is the simplest one.
    Have you ever used an ajax or javascript framework? What was your favorite?

2. Post #2
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    Does Prototype count? Prototype and Scriptaculous are all I use, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    987 Posts
    I don't know, I've never used Prototype, but I've heard about it. Can you make a function in PHP, and you can call it in php? Sajax lets me do that.

Though, I think I might have to use both Sajax and jQuery, because Sajax is only for the php stuff, and jQuery can do like editable textboxes and Sajax can send it to a php function and do stuff with it.

4. Post #4
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    I don't know, I've never used Prototype, but I've heard about it. Can you make a function in PHP, and you can call it in php? Sajax lets me do that.

Though, I think I might have to use both Sajax and jQuery, because Sajax is only for the php stuff, and jQuery can do like editable textboxes and Sajax can send it to a php function and do stuff with it.
    Prototype does a lot more than just AJAX, but it does handle all the different browsers shit for you. I find it makes JS bearable, personally.

5. Post #5
    August 2009
    987 Posts
    cool I'll check it out.

6. Post #6
    a2h
    Gold Member

September 2008
    2,460 Posts
    Preferably I like jQuery, especially because of how a surprising amount of functions in Prototype/Scriptaculous are called via new Whatever() instead of $("id").whatever, whereas jQuery uses $("#id").whatever() and $.whatever() for everything. I like my consistency.

And because jQuery uses CSS selectors with $, whereas with Prototype you need an extra character after the $. I forgot what it was, though. I'm aware it's just one extra character, but hey - sometimes, small things count a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7

April 2009
    708 Posts
    because of how a surprising amount of functions in Prototype/Scriptaculous are called via new Whatever()
    That's only Scriptaculous, most Prototype functions are $(id).whatever()

And Prototype, JQuery and Scriptaculous aren't AJAX frameworks, Prototype and JQuery may have elements of AJAX in them, but they are not AJAX frameworks alone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)