1. Post #1
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    I have no name for this.
    You wake up in a grimy bathroom and must solve various puzzles to get to the bottom of the building thats being raided by combine

VIDEO!

when I climb into the vent, everything from there on is a working progress
    (Warning; watching this video will ruin the puzzle side of the beginning of the map)

I only post this for constructive criticism before I continue :]

Pictures further down of current progress :]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Artistic Artistic x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,525 Posts
    I have no name for this.
    You wake up in a grimy bathroom and must solve various puzzles to get to the bottom of the building thats being raided by combine

VIDEO!

when I climb into the vent, everything from there on is a working progress
    (Warning; watching this video will ruin the puzzle side of the beginning of the map)

I only post this for constructive criticism before I continue :]
    The person getting smashed by the headcrab container made me laugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    The person getting smashed by the headcrab container made me laugh.
    It's even better when they notice you before it hits. 'hey Gordon fre-WHAM'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,937 Posts
    Do I see 1 unit think walls?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2 (list)

5. Post #5

December 2007
    352 Posts
    You might want to fix those vents/ducts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,813 Posts
    GM_Escape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    1,682 Posts
    The headcrab containers could use a little work on their entry, and the skybox is meh. Also, the vent textures are fugly. Nice idea, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,046 Posts
    This is pretty damn good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree x 8Agree x 2Dumb x 1Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    May 2009
    767 Posts
    The vents are fucked up in several places.
    It needs to be more obvious how to get out of the bathroom.
    Some of the textures need some work.
    I didn't see any door frames.
    Theres not really much to look at.

There only small things, because the map, overall is fantastic. Keep it up :]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,894 Posts
    The concept is good, really liked the idea of the headcrab pod smashing through one wall, crossing the hallway and smashing through the other wall.

The rest needs some work. Overall it is pretty un-detailed and for a combine raid the ciitizens seem to be pretty calm. Try having them cower or run around or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    1,624 Posts
    Only thing i can say is fix those gaps in the vents. You can see outside the map in some areas. Other than that, nicely done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    everyone mentioning the vents, those are still working, that was the first texture I came across for now, the bathroom thing is obvious because the part of the pipe you have to shoot is textured way differently, the video just didnt pick it up

13. Post #13
    October 2007
    297 Posts
    You shouldn't be rewarding the player with a buttload of ammo/guns too early. I mean, it kinda makes things too easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    I'll keep in mind, thanks.
    I might take the smg's out and one crate of ammo

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    17,350 Posts
    Annoyingly similar to the map I'm making for the 1024 box map contest. ._.

Oh well. Great minds think alike and all that.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    12,424 Posts
    I'm making something similar actually. Looks great though.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,362 Posts
    make the roof from which the headcrab shell falls break, at it looks weird as it is now

18. Post #18
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    the roof im working on as well, I just cant decide how I want it, thanks for the input guys!
    And coolcorky, I just checked out that thread and the only similarity I see is some dude getting crushed by a headcrab canister in a building, otherwise they seem very different, yours looks better to be honest though

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    598 Posts
    Hmm... you should add more puzzles and the beginning puzzle, you should think what happens if you run out of ammo, but anyway, looking great! :D

20. Post #20
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    Hmm... you should add more puzzles and the beginning puzzle, you should think what happens if you run out of ammo, but anyway, looking great! :D
    i didnt wanna let anyone know thise, but the crowbar can reach the pipe

21. Post #21
    June 2007
    21 Posts
    Possibly have an small opening section of just puzzle elements, just a few rooms and a corridor or something, before the Combine attack. That way it could build up to the attack once the player has had a chance to get into the game. Spend a few minutes wandering around an eerily quiet dilapidated old house when suddenly the roof caves in with a headcrab cannister.

Heck the cannister could smash through the puzzle the player is about to do to progress :D

But all that is just my opinion anyway, it's looking promising so far!

22. Post #22
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    Possibly have an small opening section of just puzzle elements, just a few rooms and a corridor or something, before the Combine attack. That way it could build up to the attack once the player has had a chance to get into the game. Spend a few minutes wandering around an eerily quiet dilapidated old house when suddenly the roof caves in with a headcrab cannister.

Heck the cannister could smash through the puzzle the player is about to do to progress :D

But all that is just my opinion anyway, it's looking promising so far!
    thanks a lot!

23. Post #23
    October 2009
    102 Posts
    so anywho, took a break from all the mapping for a few days and came back to it today
    We have progress!

the vents now look proper and drop you down into a sort of... boilerish kind of room (Definitely a WIP, the rooms textures and layout will DEFINITELY be changed)

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t352/tehshame/hl22009-11-1221-34-05-31.jpg?t=1258022539http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t352/tehshame/hl22009-11-1221-34-25-72.jpg?t=1258022540http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t352/tehshame/hl22009-11-1221-34-30-79.jpg?t=1258022540http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t352/tehshame/hl22009-11-1221-34-40-79.jpg?t=1258022541http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t352/tehshame/hl22009-11-1221-34-44-59.jpg?t=1258022541
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    September 2009
    290 Posts
    :wtc:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)