1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    Soooooo me and my friend are going to be making a video game. problem is we both suck horribly at spriting. so I'm posting here in hopes that someone in the MSpaint section knows how to sprite decently ( assume you do). If you want to help, please post proof of work.

Thanks in advance. :3:

2. Post #2
    August 2008
    293 Posts
    What kind of style are you going for? I might be able to help if you're serious about this and not just saying "imma make a game lolol" without knowing anything about making one.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Wow, you did listen to me.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    What kind of style are you going for? I might be able to help if you're serious about this and not just saying "imma make a game lolol" without knowing anything about making one.
    We are serious. What do you mean what kind of style? Doesn't every artist have their own style? Obviously pixel art though.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    3,169 Posts
    Tell us more info, we're not going to help you if you just say "we're making a game." We want to know what it's about, we're not going to sprite some stuff that's for a game that may never be completed.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    Well so far we are still planning, but we know for sure it will be a platformer shooter/rpg. Yes, I have experience in making games i'm not just saying "i wanna make a game sprite for me plz". But yeah, no official plans of what it's about, we just know what genre we are going to make it

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,209 Posts
    so technically you would rape the sprites by making a small game and not mentioning us at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    Never said it was going to be a small game, and stop making assumptions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    Well so far we are still planning, but we know for sure it will be a platformer shooter/rpg. Yes, I have experience in making games i'm not just saying "i wanna make a game sprite for me plz". But yeah, no official plans of what it's about, we just know what genre we are going to make it
    yea we were thinking maybe like metroid-type of game

10. Post #10
    June 2009
    4,053 Posts
    If you're still planing I could help with ideas...

I suck when it comes to spriting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    If you're still planing I could help with ideas...

I suck when it comes to spriting.
    story ideas? that could be useful.

12. Post #12
    August 2008
    293 Posts
    We are serious. What do you mean what kind of style? Doesn't every artist have their own style? Obviously pixel art though.
    Well, yes, it usually does depend on the artist, but some games have a specific style, such as cartoony or realistic. And besides, you're not going to get one artist to do ALL the work, and having a bunch of different styles mashed together just looks bad.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    Cartoony-ish

14. Post #14
    August 2008
    293 Posts
    Okay, can you make a quick sketch of a character, to give us an idea?

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    Well I wanted to leave that up to the artists, i'm not good at all with art designs/ideas.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    808 Posts
    I used to do this shit all the time. Great times back in the day. How are you making the game?

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    I used to do this shit all the time. Great times back in the day. How are you making the game?
    its going to be in C++

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    808 Posts
    Ah, cool. So if I were even to attempt to try to sprite for you guys, I'm going to have to ask the same question everybody else has been asking. How do you want the character to look?

19. Post #19
    August 2008
    293 Posts
    Well I wanted to leave that up to the artists, i'm not good at all with art designs/ideas.
    It doesn't matter, do your best. Asking someone to do something cartoony without any reference or idea of what to do is like telling a cow to make water. (Sort of)

20. Post #20
    September 2008
    653 Posts
    its going to be in C++

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    ok well i was thinking like a space warrior type person who has two weapons: a lightning-rifle and his fists. but dont make the lightning-rifle giant or anything. maybe just Uzi size? anyways, make it futuristic and stuff. not sure how else to explain it. efeX may have a different idea though.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    808 Posts
    Uzi-Sized lightning rifle. Alright, and you want this to be done in MS Paint?

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    wat.

Edited:

Uzi-Sized lightning rifle. Alright, and you want this to be done in MS Paint?
    why not. i mean like scaled to the hero size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    808 Posts
    It's fine, it just sound a little funny. But any sort of pixel size you want this to be?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    It's fine, it just sound a little funny. But any sort of pixel size you want this to be?
    i dunno. can you do it in 64x64? if not how about 128x128? i dunno how much space everything would take up on the canvas.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    808 Posts
    Oh man. 64x64 is a fun size. You want this to be a somewhat 16-bit looking image?

Just for a reference, this ball I just drew is 32x32.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    Oh man. 64x64 is a fun size. You want this to be a somewhat 16-bit looking image?
    yea. basically.

actually, is 64x64 too difficult?

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    808 Posts
    I guess not. Just not the most room to work with.
    I'll start working on it tomorrow. It's 10:41 PM here and I need to get up at 5 AM tomorrow.

Until then, goodbye.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    I guess not. Just not the most room to work with.
    I'll start working on it tomorrow. It's 10:41 PM here and I need to get up at 5 AM tomorrow.

Until then, goodbye.
    cool thanks.

30. Post #30
    August 2008
    293 Posts

How's this?

This is by no means a finished product, it just gives you a general idea of my spriting ability in cartoony style and what I gathered from your description, I could also make it larger or smaller, if needed, and change the style a bit if this isn't what you're looking for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts

How's this?

This is by no means a finished product, it just gives you a general idea of my spriting ability in cartoony style and what I gathered from your description, I could also make it larger or smaller, if needed, and change the style a bit if this isn't what you're looking for.
    thats good except it would be nice at a larger size. i like the cartoon style too. but is it possible to look more 16-bit ish? i dunno but like stuff from the SNES (AKA more detailed)

EDIT: keep that though, because i'm not sure exactly what size we're using yet.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts

How's this?

I like. Could be bigger though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    October 2007
    676 Posts

I drew what I personally think he might or should look like. Very sketchy/messy. I'm not very proud of it but oh well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    August 2008
    293 Posts

Alright, I made him bigger, but I couldn't really add more detail, since his outfit is so simple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,332 Posts
    That's really good. Are you capable of animating?

36. Post #36
    September 2009
    309 Posts
    That looks pretty cool, Spud.
    Need any tiles or anything done? Or some type of robots, as I'm not very good with humans.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    That looks pretty cool, Spud.
    Need any tiles or anything done? Or some type of robots, as I'm not very good with humans.
    we'll need floor tiles and backgrounds (if you can do bg's in ms paint well)

the tiles should be some partially futuristic (like metallic) and probably some organic stuff as well (like dirt or something)

same with the bg's. like the indoors of buildings and maybe outdoors like random planetscenes.

dunno if we're gonna need robots though, i'll get back to you on that. but we definitely need tiles.

38. Post #38
    August 2008
    293 Posts
    That's really good. Are you capable of animating?
    Yeah, it might not be the single most professional animating you've ever seen, but I have decent skill.

39. Post #39
    August 2009
    1,689 Posts
    If you've done games like this before...

Could we see an example maybe?

40. Post #40
    Penis Architect
    November 2008
    9,824 Posts
    I might try making some wall/floor tiles later on.

Edited:

Also, as the guy above me says, have you made apps/games before, or are we about to waste our time?