1. Post #1
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    Okay, my netbook is fucked, somehow I got a virus with both Threatfire and NOD32 running, and I need to format. I won't lose anything I just need to know which one would be better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,737 Posts
    7. XP shouldn't even be an option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    Okay, that's what I was thinking, and I'm most likely going to buy windows 7 within 3 months of release, so I'll be fine.

Edited:

Do I use nLite or vLite to lessen the install? Because my netbook only has 8GB of space on it's main SSD.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    XP, preferably some variant of Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    Why? Just because it's open source?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Why? Just because it's open source?
    Because Linux is lightweight.

7. Post #7
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    Because Linux is lightweight.
    Yes, but I want to be able to play all my old C&C First Decade games without having to use wine, and I also want to be able to use all my applications without wine, or crossover, or anything.

8. Post #8
    September 2008
    872 Posts
    could a netbook even run windows 7? anyways i think that if it could it would not run well on a netbook. so yeah xp or a linux like ubuntu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    could a netbook even run windows 7? anyways i think that if it could it would not run well on a netbook. so yeah xp or a linux like ubuntu.
    Are you a fucking idiot?
    It runs on a Pentium 2 with 512 megs of ram.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    XP isn't open source, so no.

Windows 7 takes 8 GB by itself when I install it on a VM, so it's out of the question if you want to store anything else than very, very tiny programs. XP is nice and lean, but I think it's still 5 GB or so.

With xubuntu, you can reduce your install to ~1.8 GB, and even less if you take out the packages you don't use. Plus, you get a faster OS that eats less memory (I'm not talking about SuperFetch before someone trolls me on this one) and a faster file system (ext4 if you choose upon install). And if you're adventurous, you can run a slimmer custom kernel as well to really cut down on that resource usage.

I really wouldn't consider anything else.
    Are you a fucking idiot?
    It runs on a Pentium 2 with 512 megs of ram.
    Damn, fucking settle down. Just because he's not a basement nerd who spends his day looking for obscure "I ran Windows 7 on my Commodore 64" Windows 7 news doesn't mean he's an idiot.
    Yes, but I want to be able to play all my old C&C First Decade games without having to use wine, and I also want to be able to use all my applications without wine, or crossover, or anything.
    Most applications have counterparts, you know. There's not a whole lot of stuff that doesn't have a Linux equivalent.

You can look on http://appdb.winehq.org/ to see support for each individual game. Results may very depending on your hardware configuration.

EDIT: I know you said "without wine", but that's just a dumb requirement. Wine is a native implementation of the WinAPI, it's not an emulator, and won't slow down your applications just because it's wine. Wine actually runs Firefox faster than the native Linux version. It's not a bad thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    Herp derp it's the internet and I'm a pretty cynical person. Christ, not everyone is rainbows and sunshine.

Also, APPLICATIONS, it has to be able to run .EXE's without an application, which Linux can't do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Herp derp it's the internet and I'm a pretty cynical person. Christ, not everyone is rainbows and sunshine.

Also, APPLICATIONS, it has to be able to run .EXE's without an application, which Linux can't do.
    Yeah and Windows can't run ELF binaries either. What's your point? Read my post again, I've updated it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    Yeah and Windows can't run ELF binaries either. What's your point? Read my post again, I've updated it.
    And you read every post in this thread, NO WINE, and does C&C The First Decade, World Of Goo, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, or Uplink have Linux counterparts? No?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    And you read every post in this thread, NO WINE, and does C&C The First Decade, World Of Goo, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, or Uplink have Linux counterparts? No?
    World Of Goo does. You have no clue what you're talking about.

EDIT: I just updated my post again, cause I just remembered the no WINE thing.

EDIT2: If you're stubborn just use XP, I'm not going to stop you if you don't want to understand Linux at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    October 2008
    7,933 Posts
    World of Goo, that's one out of the 4-5 games I posted.
    HERP DERP. I've used Linux, I just don't see why it's that great jesus christ.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Ah, fuck it, I'm tired of talking with someone who randomly gets angry and HERP DERPY DERP DP everytime they're bothered by something. Just enjoy your reduced performance and free space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,640 Posts
    Who the fuck uses ELF binaries

Also, go with Windows 7, OP. It's awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    1,698 Posts
    Windows 7, or Linux. Currently dual booting both on my Acer Aspire One, though Mint 7 has problems recognizing the wired connection so go for Ubuntu:

PROOF:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Fvx...eature=related

It can also run Aero on the Acer. Don't know which netbook you have though, OP so it could vary.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts

Also, go with Windows 7, OP. It's awesome.
    Everyone who uses Linux.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Err... everything based on UNIX. So the entire server world pretty much revolves around it, along with UNIX desktops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2009
    1,755 Posts
    I can glady say that a HP mini 1000 can run Windows 7 fine, except when you flood the bastard with loads of viruses :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    "Only through the elimination of violence can we achieve world peace." - Y.K. Kim
    August 2009
    7,640 Posts
    Err... everything based on UNIX. So the entire server world pretty much revolves around it, along with UNIX desktops.
    From the posts above you sound like the kind of person that only uses Linux because it makes himself feel superior to others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    And just to add to that, ELF binaries don't have a .elf extension (like .exe), so most people don't even know what an ELF is. The only extensions I've seen on EFL binaries are .i386 or .x86_64.

24. Post #24
    July 2007
    4,954 Posts
    Ah, fuck it, I'm tired of talking with someone who randomly gets angry and HERP DERPY DERP DP everytime they're bothered by something. Just enjoy your reduced performance and free space.
    the reason linux is a minority of the market is because it doesn't perform better overall, I mean linux has it's ups but they are few an far between, ruling out that it is free and open source what advantages does it have over Windows or OSX
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,720 Posts
    I would go with XP just because it takes less space and is a bit more lightweight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    From the posts above you sound like the kind of person that only uses Linux because it makes himself feel superior to others.
    Or maybe you're just that insecure. There's no sense of superiority in using Linux. People keep bringing that up when they run out of things to say or something.
    the reason linux is a minority of the market is because it doesn't perform better overall, I mean linux has it's ups but they are few an far between, ruling out that it is free and open source what advantages does it have over Windows or OSX
    Can you stop spreading FUD about Linux? It runs better than Windows overall! What you -could- say is that some games run worse on Linux than Windows through Wine; That'd be sometimes true and acceptable. But claiming that Linux is slower as a whole is not.

EDIT: I'd make a list of advantages it has over other OSes but it would make the post too big and irrelevant to the thread. To do it quickly: ease of use, security, speed, control.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Linux performs great, if performance was the only key in popularity then I'm sure Linux would be out in front.

Edited:

To do it quickly: ease of use, security, speed, control.
    The first I don't agree with. Anything's easy to use after you learn how to use it. Second is somewhat iffy, third agree, fourth agree.

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    Do I use nLite or vLite to lessen the install? Because my netbook only has 8GB of space on it's main SSD.
    vLite the fuck out of 7, stripping it naked.

Then you will have plenty of space left over for a few programs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    May 2008
    931 Posts
    7 Home Premium or Basic.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    188 Posts
    windows xp is still the best :buddy: use it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    May 2008
    931 Posts
    windows xp is still the best :buddy: use it
    It's good, but it is still 7 years old OS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    The Mad Scientist
    September 2008
    20,455 Posts
    W7

The xp is outdated, still good for some things but lacks a lot of stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    The first I don't agree with. Anything's easy to use after you learn how to use it. Second is somewhat iffy, third agree, fourth agree.
    I'm referring mainly to ease of installing programs, drivers and how simple it is to compile from source, something Windows can't compete with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    August 2009
    86 Posts
    I'd say 7 just because it's new and stuff, and I don't really like XP that much anymore. Mainly because I got used to Vista.

I've been wondering whether I should upgrade to 7 or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,484 Posts
    If SSD: Linux
    If normal harddrive: WinXP

The power management on most Linux distros is terrible, I get two hours on my 3-cell netbook with Jolicloud (a remix of Ubuntu)

36. Post #36
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    Windows 7 takes 8 GB by itself when I install it on a VM, so it's out of the question if you want to store anything else than very, very tiny programs. XP is nice and lean, but I think it's still 5 GB or so.
    Nope. My standard XP install took up 3GB of my 4GB SSD in my netbook, and for Win 7 (and I assume Vista but lol vista) it changes it's requirements depending how big the SSD/HDD is. When I installed Win7 build 7000 on my Eee it warned I had 3.xGB free and Win 7 needed atleast 4. It installed in 3GB anyway without me touching anything

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Maybe it's just the 64-bit version that takes up 8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    Might be but even thought 64 bit is bigger, double seems a bit excessive, even for Windows.

40. Post #40
    September 2005
    1,115 Posts
    nLited XP.