1. Post #1
    CISC MASTER RACE.
    January 2008
    5,429 Posts
    On my old system for a lot of my stuff due to lack of space I dumped files onto DVDs and then put them in the system when I needed them. Now that my new system as a lot more space I'm dumping the files back onto the drives.
    Before my last system finally gave the ghost I had two ISOs I had built that I had not yet burned as I ran out of dual layer DVDs and I still don't have any more. I want to mount the images and then just pull the failes off the image then carry on from there but I don't know what to mount with. I heard of Daemon tools but there is a rumor that it's not really the safest thing to use.
    Any recommendations for something that would take less than twenty minutes?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    daemon tools is fine for what you want to use it for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    August 2009
    876 Posts
    daemon tools
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,310 Posts
    If you dont want to use daemon tools try Power ISO : http://www.poweriso.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2009
    359 Posts
    Alcohol 120%

6. Post #6
    CISC MASTER RACE.
    January 2008
    5,429 Posts
    Alcohol 120%
    :doh:

I forgot I owned that.
    Yeah, I had to reinstall and register it but that worked fine.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    MagicISO is extremely easy. Drag and drop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,958 Posts
    Daemon tools is easier :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    no, it's not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,364 Posts
    Power iso is probably the easiest. You just right click on the image and select mount.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    Why the fuck would someone use Daemon or Alcohol? I mean honestly do you need more bloat. VirtualCloneDrive is great for mounting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    17,958 Posts
    no, it's not
    Well you've got to navigate to the ISO the first time anyway. What could make double clicking on your library of ISOs easier?

Navigate for first time.

Double click to mount once it's in the library.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,318 Posts
    Thread title always brings strange images to mind

And daemon tools lite is free of bloatware.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Why the fuck would someone use Daemon or Alcohol? I mean honestly do you need more bloat. VirtualCloneDrive is great for mounting.
    VirtualCloneDrive is more bloated then Daemon tools IMO :colbert:

15. Post #15
    June 2008
    78 Posts
    I use Gizmo.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,791 Posts
    Alchohol 52% is a great lightweight way to simply mount them
    it doesnt have all the extra features of 120% though

17. Post #17
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    I use MagicDisc. It's what should be integrated into Windows to begin with. The shell integration is amazingly seamless.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    264 Posts
    Why are you guys fighting over what disk image mounter to use?! They all work just dandy.
    FYI. Magic ISO can have a vicious memory leak (taking 4gb+ of RAM) on isos larger than ~7gb.

Edit:
    Getting pretty sick of this guy voting dumb on every post he finds, it's SILLY easy to stop this from happening. (Code wise, inb4 HURP DURP LET'S JUST BAN HIM AGAIN)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    FYI. Magic ISO can have a vicious memory leak (taking 4gb+ of RAM) on isos larger than ~7gb.
    Hence I use MagicDisc, and don't use ISOs bigger than my 4.7GB blank discs...

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2008
    8,250 Posts
    Edit:
    Getting pretty sick of this guy voting dumb on every post he finds, it's SILLY easy to stop this from happening. (Code wise, inb4 HURP DURP LET'S JUST BAN HIM AGAIN)
    Actually it's a script that gives everybody a box (though idk who made the script and implemented it into facepunch)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    264 Posts
    Actually it's a script that gives everybody a box (though idk who made the script and implemented it into facepunch)
    It's a script that makes him rate every post and give it a box, using the site.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,710 Posts
    I don't keep Virtual Drive software running all the time, only when I need it, really.

23. Post #23
    September 2005
    1,115 Posts
    ImDisk is free. and does what it says on the webpage without any frills..
    Shell menu item it adds.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,109 Posts
    Alchohol 52% is a great lightweight way to simply mount them
    it doesnt have all the extra features of 120% though
    Alcohol 52% is great, I use it for ripping DVDs as well as for virtual drives.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    VirtualCloneDrive is more bloated then Daemon tools IMO :colbert:
    It can't be an opinion whether something is more bloated than another, it would be fact. In this case it's not. An opinion would be it's bloated. But when you compare the heftiness of two or more programs it becomes fact/fiction.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,012 Posts
    On my old system for a lot of my stuff due to lack of space I dumped files onto DVDs and then put them in the system when I needed them. Now that my new system as a lot more space I'm dumping the files back onto the drives.
    Before my last system finally gave the ghost I had two ISOs I had built that I had not yet burned as I ran out of dual layer DVDs and I still don't have any more. I want to mount the images and then just pull the failes off the image then carry on from there but I don't know what to mount with. I heard of Daemon tools but there is a rumor that it's not really the safest thing to use.
    Any recommendations for something that would take less than twenty minutes?
    For Windows XP/Vista: Daemon Tools Lite.
    For Windows 7: PowerISO

Windows 7 has issues with most of the Vistual Drive programs bar PowerISO.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    Well you've got to navigate to the ISO the first time anyway. What could make double clicking on your library of ISOs easier?

Navigate for first time.

Double click to mount once it's in the library.
    all you have to do with magic is drag and drop.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    264 Posts
    For Windows XP/Vista: Daemon Tools Lite.
    For Windows 7: PowerISO

Windows 7 has issues with most of the Vistual Drive programs bar PowerISO.
    Daemon tools finally release a Windows 7 version. *high-five*

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,012 Posts
    Oh hooray! :3:

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,822 Posts
    Took them long enough. VirtualCloneDrive wasn't even updated for 7 and it worked since 6519/6801 on down the whole line.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,012 Posts
    Took them long enough. VirtualCloneDrive wasn't even updated for 7 and it worked since 6519/6801 on down the whole line.
    The problem was to do with thee driver they use i think.

32. Post #32
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    ...But does Daemontools have x64 as well?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    264 Posts
    Yes.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,226 Posts
    SPTD (The thing that made Daemon Tools not work on Windows 7) was updated for 7 many months ago.

35. Post #35
    CISC MASTER RACE.
    January 2008
    5,429 Posts
    I bought Alcohol 120% a long time ago so that I could <blank> my frinds copies of <blank> <blank> but after that was done I forgot about it.

Normally though I created and mastered all my disc images in Nero before sending it off to something like Magic ISO for burning.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,262 Posts
    If you dont want to use daemon tools try Power ISO : http://www.poweriso.com/
    I use this. It's super easy to use.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    7,756 Posts
    IF you get daemons tools don't install the toolbar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    magicdisc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    July 2009
    4,727 Posts
    magicdisc.

40. Post #40
    February 2008
    100 Posts
    I used to be an avid user of DAEMON Tools but their attitude lately is annoying ( trying to sell the free versions, still including spyware and shit )

PowerISO is simply amazing, it can convert or mount any type of image you throw at it. DAEMON Tools can't do .daa, while PowerISO can.