1. Post #1
    March 2008
    870 Posts
    Hi,

I'm struggling with creating a client-side scripted entity. In all of the examples that I can find, an existing entity type is used such as prop_dynamic and the like. I'd like to make my own with a custom draw function.

I've tried just moving my ENT:Initialize() function to the shared file but I always get the error "Can't find factory for entity".

Any ideas as to what I can try ? Can custom SENTs only be created on the server ?

Thanks.

2. Post #2
    Pass along
    May 2008
    4,065 Posts
    Only thing I know is: When you want to draw it by yourself SENT:Draw() is what you need. And for the Entities Clientside... I really dunno!

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    344 Posts

4. Post #4
    im gay
    July 2007
    3,584 Posts
    That never worked for me, I always have the "Can't find entity factory" error. Would be great if someone could get this to work properly.

Edited:

Hi,

I'm struggling with creating a client-side scripted entity. In all of the examples that I can find, an existing entity type is used such as prop_dynamic and the like. I'd like to make my own with a custom draw function.

I've tried just moving my ENT:Initialize() function to the shared file but I always get the error "Can't find factory for entity".

Any ideas as to what I can try ? Can custom SENTs only be created on the server ?

Thanks.
    In most cases, an effect will do nicely. It has a custom render hook which will certainly do whatever you want to.
    http://wiki.garrysmod.com/?title=Effect_Hooks
    Have a look at the base and sandbox gamemode if you want to see how Garry defines and uses them.

5. Post #5
    March 2008
    870 Posts
    Thanks for your replies.

I just tried ENT:InitializeAsClientEntity() in case it has been fixed and it seemed to do nothing of any use. :(

It looks like using an effect with a client-side prop_dynamic will be the best option for me, thanks for the suggestion on that I had forgotten about effects.

Regarding the error it's self, I believe entity factories are created when you (In C++.) use the macro LINK_ENTITY_TO_CLASS(), which I assume isn't getting called on the client. (I don't know if there's a specific client-side version of that macro or if you use the same one.) I'd guess that was what ENT:InitializeAsClientEntity() was meant to fix, but as ENT:Initilize() never gets called due to the entity not having a factory, it never gets linked. As such I tried running ENT:InitializeAsClientEntity() outside of the function but I guess I was calling it wrong or it doesn't work how I expected.

Cheers.

Edit:
    Taken from the Orange Box SDK:
    Client: c_gib.cpp
    Code:
    bool C_Gib::InitializeGib( const char *pszModelName, Vector vecOrigin, Vector vecForceDir, AngularImpulse vecAngularImp, float flLifetime )
    {
    	if ( InitializeAsClientEntity( pszModelName, RENDER_GROUP_OPAQUE_ENTITY ) == false )
    	{
    		Release();
    		return false;
    	}

SetAbsOrigin( vecOrigin );
    	SetCollisionGroup( COLLISION_GROUP_DEBRIS );

solid_t tmpSolid;
    	PhysModelParseSolid( tmpSolid, this, GetModelIndex() );

m_pPhysicsObject = VPhysicsInitNormal( SOLID_VPHYSICS, 0, false, &tmpSolid );

if ( m_pPhysicsObject )
    	{
    		float flForce = m_pPhysicsObject->GetMass();
    		vecForceDir *= flForce;	

m_pPhysicsObject->ApplyForceOffset( vecForceDir, GetAbsOrigin() );
    		m_pPhysicsObject->SetCallbackFlags( m_pPhysicsObject->GetCallbackFlags() | CALLBACK_GLOBAL_TOUCH | CALLBACK_GLOBAL_TOUCH_STATIC );
    	}
    	else
    	{
    		// failed to create a physics object
    		Release();
    		return false;
    	}

SetNextClientThink( gpGlobals->curtime + flLifetime );

return true;
    }
    Notice their call to InitializeAsClientEntity() has two parameters. Regardless I don't think it would fix the factory issue, I'll look for the factory now.

Edit2:
    The static method CreateClientsideGib() seems to be their "factory", but there is no way that I know of to create a method like this from Lua.

Client: c_gib.cpp
    Code:
    C_Gib *C_Gib::CreateClientsideGib( const char *pszModelName, Vector vecOrigin, Vector vecForceDir, AngularImpulse vecAngularImp, float flLifetime )
    {
    	C_Gib *pGib = new C_Gib;

if ( pGib == NULL )
    		return NULL;

if ( pGib->InitializeGib( pszModelName, vecOrigin, vecForceDir, vecAngularImp, flLifetime ) == false )
    		return NULL;

return pGib;
    }

6. Post #6
    October 2008
    133 Posts
    It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure effects are source entities too. You should be able to call Entity library functions on EFFECT.Entity.

I don't think it has the same hooks though. :(

Edit:

Check out garry's gib effect from gmdm to see what I mean.

7. Post #7
    Reposting BUG threads since 2011!
    March 2007
    426 Posts
    Did you return true in InitializeAsClientEntity?

8. Post #8
    March 2008
    870 Posts
    It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure effects are source entities too. You should be able to call Entity library functions on EFFECT.Entity.

I don't think it has the same hooks though. :(

Edit:

Check out garry's gib effect from gmdm to see what I mean.
    Ah I see, it seems effects will do the job perfectly. Thanks. I wonder if you can use 'self' in place of 'self.Entity' inside of an effect like you can in entities - Will have to try it.

Did you return true in InitializeAsClientEntity?
    No I called it as a function, I didn't create the hook. I did this due to the Wiki's description:
    Wiki posted:
    Running this function in your scripted entity's Initialize hook allows you to create a completely clientside entity. There will be no communication with the server.
    I think I'll leave it and not look in to it more as effects seem to replace client-side entities entirely.

9. Post #9
    Reposting BUG threads since 2011!
    March 2007
    426 Posts
    Well my experience with the wiki is, that it is usually wrong. Looking at the C++ code it calls the function which returns a boolean so I figured have it return true. Not sure.