1. Post #1

March 2008
    111 Posts
    I am looking to get Windows 7 on October 22nd, but I am unsure about its functionality. Can it run a very large and complex XP Game, or will it not support XP?

In another case, is XP Mode something that takes a day to load, or is it something that takes like 10 seconds?

I swear if you don't give me any GOOD information to relay on, then a freaking YETI will come to your window at night.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,226 Posts
    There's no such thing as an "XP Game." Games work for all modern versions of Windows with VERY few exceptions.
    And XP Mode isn't for games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2009
    445 Posts
    AFAIK, XP mode isn't included in the beta, at least not my build, so I don't think many people know about that yet (Unless you're referring for compatibility mode, which has been in windows for a while now). But yeah, 7 can run XP game ever, no matter how big.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,226 Posts
    AFAIK, XP mode isn't included in the beta, at least not my build, so I don't think many people know about that yet (Unless you're referring for compatibility mode, which has been in windows for a while now). But yeah, 7 can run XP game ever, no matter how big.
    It's an optional download for certain versions of W7 (Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate) and its available for 7100 and up.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member

November 2007
    4,543 Posts
    Window 7 is compatible with any game that you can play on XP, I seen. Oh and,

bring your fucking yeti, im ready.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

March 2008
    111 Posts
    (Yeti Whimpers)

Edited:

The Yeti will... erm... MISS your house.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,774 Posts
    XP Mode is XP in Virtual PC. What do you think. Also no such thing as XP Game.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    344 Posts
    I suggest you use dual boot and try it. Compare performance etc.

9. Post #9
    July 2009
    1,157 Posts
    You don't need to run games in XP mode; in fact, that will degrade performance significantly.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,959 Posts
    Has anyone ever got battlefield Vietnam to work in windows 7? All it did for me was boot up and go to a black screen when trying to load the game, even with the compatibily mode, lets hope that the finished windows 7 will work with it.

11. Post #11
    May 2009
    1,801 Posts
    Yea I don't think some OLD games will run on 7. I've had problems with a lot of really old games since I got 7, but they keep updating it, so it's all good.

12. Post #12
    May 2008
    931 Posts
    Yea I don't think some OLD games will run on 7. I've had problems with a lot of really old games since I got 7, but they keep updating it, so it's all good.
    Old games like Quake.

CS 1.6 and FarCry worked fine for me.

13. Post #13
    May 2009
    1,801 Posts
    Yea exactly.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    3,488 Posts
    i got roller coaster tycoon 2 to run in vista and 7.

Edited:

This yeti?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    486 Posts
    UT 99 works fine on vista 64bit

16. Post #16
    September 2007
    550 Posts
    What the flying fuck is an XP game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    September 2007
    841 Posts
    Most of games that worked on XP are working on 7. If they don't use XP as compatibility option.

18. Post #18
    January 2009
    233 Posts
    Has anyone ever got battlefield Vietnam to work in windows 7? All it did for me was boot up and go to a black screen when trying to load the game, even with the compatibily mode, lets hope that the finished windows 7 will work with it.
    Bah, BF2 and BF2142 are also very problematic. Impossible to play for me really, the game starts normally and everything is fine up untill I enter a game. Almost all textures are missing beside my gun and arms.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    Bah, BF2 and BF2142 are also very problematic. Impossible to play for me really, the game starts normally and everything is fine up untill I enter a game. Almost all textures are missing beside my gun and arms.
    That's because they were made by EA and use PB, I used to love them then EA blew itself up and PB shafted us with its little 'update'

Someone should compare performance from the same save with the same settings in Crysis on XP, Vista, then 7 and post the results. I can't do it since I've only got XP, and don't know where the installer is so...

20. Post #20
    I TOLD YOU BRO. I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE MOON.
    May 2006
    991 Posts
    Only two games out of my old pc games collection that are problematic would be Hitman 1 but it does work with OpenGL instead of direct3d.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 freezes Windows 7 solid after 15 minutes of gameplay, seems to be a common problem with many win7 users, hope that gets fixed one day but I doubt it.

21. Post #21
    July 2009
    1,002 Posts
    I swear if you don't give me any GOOD information to relay on, then a freaking YETI will come to your window at night.
    You stole that line. Stealer.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,109 Posts
    Some really old XP games might have problems (example: KOTOR 2), but if you can find instructions to get them working on Vista (likely) then you can get them working right on 7 too.

23. Post #23
    May 2008
    931 Posts
    Some really old XP games might have problems (example: KOTOR 2), but if you can find instructions to get them working on Vista (likely) then you can get them working right on 7 too.
    There is no such thing like "XP game".

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,109 Posts
    There is no such thing like "XP game".
    OK, "pre-Vista" good enough for you? :colbert:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    May 2008
    931 Posts
    You should talk about games that are designed for Windows XP, like Battlefield 2.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    2,759 Posts
    What the fuck would be a "Heavy Duty" game which Xp could run? You'd need Windows 7 or vista to run "Heavy Duty".

You should talk about games that are designed for Windows XP, like Battlefield 2.
    And every single battlefield game created to date....

EA and PunkBuster did everything they could to create incompitabilities.

Every EA game needs to be run in admin mode, and you'll still get shit from punkbuster because of the OS.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,323 Posts
    7 can run everything.

EVERYTHING.

28. Post #28
    May 2008
    931 Posts
    7 can run everything.

EVERYTHING.
    Even I might run to the store.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,610 Posts
    7 can run everything.

EVERYTHING.
    It doesn't let me run VS2008 :sigh:

30. Post #30
    July 2009
    174 Posts
    Only game that didn't work for me is Freelancer, since of DX10 and my firewall and virus scaner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    1,710 Posts
    It doesn't let me run VS2008 :sigh:
    I can run it

EDIT: Run it in admin mode.

32. Post #32
    April 2008
    50 Posts
    Even Warcraft II and III work on Vista, and I'm sure they will work on 7.

33. Post #33
    April 2008
    1,108 Posts
    I can run it

EDIT: Run it in admin mode.
    Or, disable UAC.

34. Post #34
    January 2008
    266 Posts
    Baldur's gate 2 does not work in 7 even in xp mode :(

Gonna give it a try on a virtual machine.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,608 Posts
    ^Works on Vista x64, you just have to avoid any and all compatibility modes. Those break it for some reason. :~
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Czech Republic Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,035 Posts
    You don't need to run games in XP mode; in fact, that will remove any signs of performance completely.
    Fix'd. Only true when the program is hardware acceleration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Austria Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    What the flying fuck is an XP game?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,774 Posts
    That was in Windows before XP.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    Now that I think about it, it was.

Oh well.

40. Post #40
    BmB
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    8,569 Posts
    The Bf2142 demo runs fine on W7 for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)