1. Post #1
    January 2008
    912 Posts
    Any of you linux nerds able to recommend me a low resource linux distro capable of running a webserver? I am using a 233 MHZ pentium II processor, so it can't be too complicated. Thanks guys!

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    717 Posts
    Damn Small Linux is a good start, if you need a GUI.

However, if you can get used to the command line, and are just going to use the box as a webserver, I'd go for Ubuntu Server edition, as once you've setup the networking, it's extremely easy to install and configure the webserver software on.

Both distros should (theoretically) support LAMPP which is a webserver package with the HTTP server (Apache) with PHP, FTP server, MySQL database server, and a couple other things - it's also really easy to setup and configure.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    http://www.centos.org/

:smug:

Edited:

CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor [Red Hat]. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.) CentOS is free.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2008
    17,590 Posts
    Debian.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,213 Posts
    Puppy, DSL and xubuntu

6. Post #6