1. Post #1
    Doomed Game Psychic
    January 2005
    1,973 Posts
    So I was looking through global stats on steam achievements and found an odd pattern. The amount of people who actually have the achievements for completing a game is only around 50%. Even the famed portal, where there is only 3 or 4 hours and the single player is all there is to it has only gotten to 54% complete.

There are things that could skew this like people who got a package deal and never actually intend to play a game, people currently in the middle of playing through it or games where you could have beaten it off of steam and just happened to pick up the steam version, but even then, that's a small percent change. People should post games where there's a story mode and they have an achievement for completing the game or an achievement you can only get from beating the game. I kinda wanna see how universal this is.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/HL2:EP2/achievements/
    http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Braid/achievements/
    http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Portal/achievements/
    http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Worl.../achievements/
    http://steamcommunity.com/stats/Unre.../achievements/ Lol, 2.7%

2. Post #2
    [SIZE=6][COLOR="#EE82EE"]Hardcore My Little Pony Fan[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    July 2008
    5,870 Posts
    Well, unreal tourament one is so low mainly because most people play it for online.

Also, only 2% people have got little rocket man ? I am in that 2% :D

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    238 Posts
    the only games i've actually completed are GTA IV, MGS3, and Jet Force Gemini

oh, and Battletanx
    (:

4. Post #4
    Doomed Game Psychic
    January 2005
    1,973 Posts
    Well, unreal tourament one is so low mainly because most people play it for online.

I know, I put it there as a joke. And deep dish, you're on a forum for a half-life 2 mod and you never completed Half-Life or Half-Life 2?

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    6,434 Posts

That 2% is 20 000 in a million and I'm sure that it's more like several million.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,047 Posts
    It depends on the game. I stopped playing Red Faction 3 because I got stuck on this one ridiculously hard mission where I keep dying at the same spot no matter how many damn times I try and regardless of how many times I try it differently.

I'm talking about the mission where you have to kill the 5 tanks. Fucking bitch, I keep dying at the 3rd tank.

Games stop being fun when they are impossible or insanely hard.

7. Post #7
    Doomed Game Psychic
    January 2005
    1,973 Posts
    It depends on the game. I stopped playing Red Faction 3 because I got stuck on this one ridiculously hard mission where I keep dying at the same spot no matter how many damn times I try and regardless of how many times I try it differently.

I'm talking about the mission where you have to kill the 5 tanks. Fucking bitch, I keep dying at the 3rd tank.

Games stop being fun when they are impossible or insanely hard.
    Yeah but I don't believe any games I posted fit under that category, especially Portal.

8. Post #8
    June 2008
    64 Posts
    I have this syndrome where I stop in the middle of games and don't play them for months.

9. Post #9
    April 2009
    27 Posts
    If a game is good and not insanely ball-bustingly long I'll finish it, if it's really long and only average to mildly good I probably won't finish it.

10. Post #10
    November 2008
    909 Posts
    I usually finish every game, no matter how bad it is. I just like to finish stuff I had begun. Somehow, even after a ragequit at a frustrating part, I feel compelled to finish it.

Damn, I hate myself for this :saddowns:

11. Post #11
    June 2008
    1,078 Posts
    I only leave games unfinished if they are so terrible I can't bear to play them. Such as Far Cry 2.
    Also I don't care about acheivements so unless I get an in game reward I don't go after them.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,957 Posts
    I've done it to MGS2 PC, because I either couldn't aim left or down in FPS mode.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    639 Posts
    as I got older I stopped caring so much about playing a game I got all the way through and just wanting to play it for the reasons that got me to buy it

14. Post #14
    Unless I really end up loving a game (Half-Life 1 & 2, Retro Game Challenge, Mirror's Edge, etc.), I often get halfway through a game and just stop. I (most of the time) come back months, even years, later and finally finish the game. Not always though...

Of course, I have an even weirder habit when it comes to RPGs. I sometimes get all the way to the final battle and simply stop. I dunno why. I guess I lose motivation, because I know there's nothing to look forward to after said battle... Myeh.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    2,630 Posts
    i never completed halflife or halflife 2 because i just got bored of the same old shoot alien shit so i looked at the ending
    i completed episode 2 but never even bothered to download episode 1 heh

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,001 Posts
    Yeh I saw this in PC Gamer.

With the really low percentages (0-10%) it usually means the campaign is not the main part of the game and people play more multiplayer/skrimish.

50% is pretty good for Braid, I thought the later levels were really challenging, but I think the story keeps players going.

17. Post #17
    September 2007
    192 Posts
    The games I actually finish are rare. I finished Oblivion, Half-Life 2, Call of Duty 4 and 5, Prototype, Portal, and some others. I'm too lazy to finish EP1, Fallout 3, I uninstalled HAWX, EndWar, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, Warhead, and others without completing them.

18. Post #18
    Facepunch iSeries!
    November 2007
    4,363 Posts
    I completed portal on the day of it's release and due to some bugs it said I didn't.

I havent redone the game and I don't plan to until like a week before portal 2.

19. Post #19
    October 2008
    212 Posts
    I try to complete all of my games but sometimes I just can't be arsed.

Also: I am one of those who did "Little Rocket Man"

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,857 Posts
    I play a game for a week or so, get about 80% into it then get bored. When I come back to it I usually start again.

21. Post #21
    sarcastic bastard
    October 2005
    5,038 Posts
    For me, completing a game depends on the quality of the singleplayer experience. Often I find that the best are those that are over pretty quickly (Episode 2, Portal, CoD4) but are packed with some absolutely incredible content, or those that take a lot of time and effort (Mass Effect, GTA4, Valkyria Chronicles, any Final Fantasy game) and leave me with a sense of gratification.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    830 Posts
    Only game I've never finished is burnout 3. I've got two races left, and this second to last one is god damn impossible.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    8,148 Posts
    If it's super shitty, I don't finish it. Far Cry 3, Clear Sky, Two Worlds, etc

and fuck those last two races in burnout 3

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    6,864 Posts
    I usually just play around with its key features and quit

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    7,746 Posts
    I've only beaten 3 out of my 45 games.

26. Post #26
    Doomed Game Psychic
    January 2005
    1,973 Posts
    Wow, I had no idea I was just a minority here, actually playing games to see everything in them. I've beaten over 300 games of the thousands I've played.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,226 Posts
    I always play games through to the finish, and I try and finish EVERYTHING in a game. This is the reason I try and avoid MMOs, I get completely sucked into them trying to complete everything. I spent years playing SWG playing tons of different characters to max out all the careers, and I'm addicted to FreeREalms right now trying to max out all the jobs (coming along quite smoothly). It's the same deal with a lot of singleplayer games, which I try and beat a few times. Fallout 3 was an exception, I thought the storyline was good and so I didn't see a reason to do a second playthrough after I had finished it.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    I've beaten all the games I've gotten from Valve except for HL2 because the textures of wood are all skewed white lines for me and my pc freezes whenever too many are in one spot. I want to beat it badly, but I haven't found a fix = (

29. Post #29
    May 2008
    667 Posts
    I never finished half-life, I just crapped out in the final nihilanth battle. I have done all orange box games however (and little rocket man). One of my greatest shames is never completing lego island 2. THAT FUCKING FISHING LEVEL.

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    December 2007
    221 Posts
    Ive gone all the way through ever game i ever played except for hl1, WIC, and Farcry 2

31. Post #31
    Gold Member

June 2007
    5,036 Posts
    Far Cry 3
    :wtc:

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    114 Posts
    Most of the people that have been playing videogames throughout their life also end up completing them. Coincidentally, what many a gamer nowadays calls "casuals" do not. I believe this statement to be true for the most part.

Whoever cares about ratings given by the media, asks "WHAT GAME SHOULD I PLAY"/"RECOMMEND ME A GAME", or -definitely the worst of them all- investigates in message boards and forums about "what he should expect" on his first playthrough is not playing for the right reasons.

Gaming should be fun. If you're not having fun, then why play?