1. Post #1
    June 2009
    9 Posts
    I've just finished playing the Portal: TFV mappack. I bought Half Life 2 specifically to play it. While I did try out Half Life 2, and I did have quite a bit of fun with it, the Portal: TFV mappack would have been well-worth the $20 that it cost me to download Half Life 2 even if the ability to play Half Life 2 didn't actually come as part of the deal. Just like Portal, it left concepts open for speculation. And so I will speculate. If you care to join me, post.

I have a few theories about what the boss may have been. Considering that the voice of the boss was that of GLaDOS, I think that maybe it was an earlier version of GLaDOS. Or perhaps GLaDOS's brain was originally that of the boss and was reused in a body rebuilt for optimal test observation performance, namely the GLaDOS that is apparent in the original Portal. Or perhaps GLaDOS controlled the battle mech remotely, which was hinted at by the fact that she could still speak after the battle mech was destroyed, which also might be attributed to its rather sturdy build; because its brain would have been just more hardware, it may have been equally sturdy and therefore capable of functioning if not connected to a functional body.

What are your speculations?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,111 Posts
    That it's a community-made mod and has no bearing on Valve's fiction at all?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    8,256 Posts
    I'm pretty sure this section applies to mods of Valve Games too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,485 Posts
    I think it was just a security droid that she took reote control over like you say

5. Post #5
    February 2008
    407 Posts
    I'm pretty sure this section applies to mods of Valve Games too.
    Nope

6. Post #6
    June 2009
    9 Posts
    Of course it doesn't. However, it would seem that Valve's fiction had a bearing on it; if it did not, the mappack would have no relationship to Portal whatsoever. Because it does, it leaves things open for speculation as to how the community that made the mappack intended the storyline of the game to be incorporated into the storyline of the original game and perhaps the Half Life series as well, which I believe that they intended to do on account of the presence of various elements from each series. One may ask why one would even want to speculate about such things when one could simply ask the creators, but if one would ask that, one does not find the speculation fun, meaning therefore that one has no place in this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2009
    91 Posts
    Op was confusing.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,187 Posts
    I love this ending though the mappack it self is hard as hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    10,658 Posts
    Why is he calling it a map pack? Isn't a map pack similar to a bunch of poorly done Halo maps and not a series of maps lined together with one storyline?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Is, in fact, a real hedgehog.
    April 2009
    14,287 Posts
    Valve Games and Mods