1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,661 Posts
    Derek posted:
    Submitted for the approval of The Midnight Society, I call this story... SPELUNKY! This is my latest game release and my first Game Maker game.

Probably the easiest way to describe Spelunky is that it's (kind of) like La Mulana meets Nethack - every time you play the levels, items, monsters, and so forth, are all procedurally-generated. And the terrain is destructible and there are quite a few ways in which the various game elements can interact with one another.

My goal was to create a fast-paced platform game that had the kind of tension, re-playability, and variety of a roguelike. In roguelikes, the gameplay tells the story, and I wanted to give Spelunky that type of a feeling... but make the player rely on their reflexes rather than their brain (or knowledge of what 50 billion command keys do!). If there's a best of both worlds, that's what I was trying to go for.
    What's great about this game that it's PRECEDURALLY GENERATED, you'll never see two identical levels. Other than that the game is EXTREMELY hard, often a single small mistake can make the difference between life and death.

DOWNLOAD

Here are a few examples of what a bitch this game can be

Apparently there WAS a thread about Spelunky here on FP, but it seems it got deleted after the move
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Murr purr and stuff!
    November 2007
    35,660 Posts
    Search is being a bitch. I don't think the other thread got deleted.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,661 Posts
    Just look, all threads in "video games" older than 4 weeks got removed

4. Post #4
    Tea
    Dennab
    December 2008
    4,084 Posts
    I don't like it, I think PCGamer overrated it.

5. Post #5
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,524 Posts
    I like it, but the controls are something I can never get used to even if I set them myself.

EDIT: I lied. The reason I stopped playing it was for the same one I'm stopping now for. I set the controls, start the game, and then the controls mix themselves up again. I remember this happening last time.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,679 Posts
    It's cool but you can't honestly play this all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,776 Posts
    i play this all the time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,661 Posts
    It's cool but you can't honestly play this all the time.
    You start appreciating this game if you play it all the time...

Things get interesting after jungle, not to mentions tons of secrets (city of gold)

9. Post #9
    April 2009
    1,151 Posts
    This game is one of the best games in the world.

Really, even if you don't like it, you have to give credit for the massive amount of coding that was needed for a roguelike platformer.
    And there are a thousands of possibilities how to solve problems in this game!
    I also love how figure out all these techniques one after one.

My gripe is, it's a roguelike. I've played many roguelikes and never finished one, but still I'd like to be able to finsih this one because I know that it get's better and better and even more complicated, with more enemies and "combos" you can use. I'd just like a Checkpoint system, maybe at every World change, because I haven't even beaten the djungle level.

Still massive fun. I'd give Derek Yu all my money if I had any money.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    4,518 Posts
    It's still not really procedurally generated, when you have over 300 deaths and 0 wins (yeah, I know), you start to notice patterns, recycled sections of levels and such.

11. Post #11
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    December 2006
    14,501 Posts
    Too hard for me though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    11,675 Posts
    Can't get past the jungle sections. Fun game though. Be sure to pay for the shortcuts!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,134 Posts
    This game is one of the best games in the world.

Really, even if you don't like it, you have to give credit for the massive amount of coding that was needed for a roguelike platformer.
    And there are a thousands of possibilities how to solve problems in this game!
    I also love how figure out all these techniques one after one.

My gripe is, it's a roguelike. I've played many roguelikes and never finished one, but still I'd like to be able to finsih this one because I know that it get's better and better and even more complicated, with more enemies and "combos" you can use. I'd just like a Checkpoint system, maybe at every World change, because I haven't even beaten the djungle level.

Still massive fun. I'd give Derek Yu all my money if I had any money.
    But difficulty is fun :frown:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    1,661 Posts
    ues one after one.

Pay money to the shortcut guy, the money you give him stacks

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,435 Posts
    I want to bring this thread back up because I just started playing Spelunky.

So far my best run has been about $68,000, in the second jungle level or so.

I have a couple of questions though:
    Certain sprites are sometimes fucked up for me. In between levels, everything at ground level is just a row of black squares. The high score room is also plagued with many, many black squares. I didn't even know that that room had an exit at first because the exit door was a black square. I just tried it at random to see if it would work, and it did. Also, the intro screen behaves very strangely. I'll see some text appear, then a scene sort of fades in, then it turns into a black screen, then I hit a button and a scene suddenly appears before fading to black and then going to the main starting menu. What do I do about these freaky graphics?

Thankfully the freaky graphics don't interfere with the important part of the game, so another question: Is there any particular penalty for robbing a store? I mean, aside from the shopkeeper trying to gun you down, does anything bad happen? The first time it happened to me, I picked up a shotgun to see the price... It was too expensive, so I held up and hit X to try and throw it into the air, putting it back... Well, instead of that, I blasted the shopkeeper's face off. I kept going "OSHIT OSHIT OSHIT," but other than that, nothing seemed to happen.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,563 Posts
    Best indie game ever made.

I have over 700 hundred deaths and like two or three wins. I still haven't made it to the city of gold or unlocked any of the secret rooms.

Is there any particular penalty for robbing a store? I mean, aside from the shopkeeper trying to gun you down, does anything bad happen? The first time it happened to me, I picked up a shotgun to see the price... It was too expensive, so I held up and hit X to try and throw it into the air, putting it back... Well, instead of that, I blasted the shopkeeper's face off. I kept going "OSHIT OSHIT OSHIT," but other than that, nothing seemed to happen.
    If you don't kill the shopkeeper that you steal from, sometimes he'll be waiting for you by the exit of the next level. And every other shop keeper will also try to kill you if you get too close but they won't follow you between levels.
    My rule of thumb is to always steal from gun stores. It's easy as shit and usually worth the risk to get the shotgun.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    7,656 Posts
    When I try to play this, areas of blocks which should be transparent (Around the ground, ropes etc.) are just black.

it works now.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,435 Posts
    When I try to play this, areas of blocks which should be transparent (Around the ground, ropes etc.) are just black.
    Sounds kind of similar to the problem I was having, except mine never showed up in-game... Since I've restarted my computer, all the graphical problems seem to have cleared right up for some reason. Maybe try that.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,799 Posts

Anyways you should add that gamepads are supported. That makes it pretty fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,410 Posts
    I never considered Spelunky a roguelike...

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,799 Posts
    I never considered Spelunky a roguelike...
    Enemies move when you move, randomly generated levels.

Edited:

I should play this again, I only played it for a bit and forgot about it.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,435 Posts
    I was always thinking about that comic while I was playing... I'd be kind of surprised if one of the ladies actually went to Spelunky Man's house after he throws her through caverns, uses her as a tool to kill animals and does other generally ungentlemanly things like sacrifice her to the local god for a pair of boots or gloves.

And I'm always debating whether I should be carrying the damsel or an idol with me on the way to the exit. Like they're both just objects. I love how respectful this game is to women. :lol:

Edited:

All right, so I've recently learned just how bad robbery is. If you steal from a shop, the owner will stalk you FOR-FUCKING-EVER. Larikang said they'd show up at the exit to the next level, and I managed to get past one guy after knocking him out with a woman, but he was once again waiting for me at the end of the NEXT level! I don't know if they ever go away if they aren't killed.

Also, I robbed a gun store (like a Terminator) and in the next level, there was a gambling place. I noticed that the shopkeeper was holding a shotgun, and I was like "Huh, what's up with that?" I then noticed that there was a wanted poster in the shop with Spelunky Man's face on it. Then I got shot dead. My verdict is that robbing the stores is totally not worth it.

What's bullshit about that first scenario is that I wasn't even trying to steal from the guy! I just picked up an idol, and a boulder rolled into his shop and destroyed it. Unfortunately, the shopkeeper escaped the boulder and he stalked me until I was dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    After downloading the latest version (0.99.99B) and opening in winrar, it tells me there's an unexpected end of archive, and there's only the levels and sound folders included in the rar. Can someone upload their's?

24. Post #24
    November 2008
    198 Posts
    I want to bring this thread back up because I just started playing Spelunky.

So far my best run has been about $68,000, in the second jungle level or so.

I have a couple of questions though:
    Certain sprites are sometimes fucked up for me. In between levels, everything at ground level is just a row of black squares. The high score room is also plagued with many, many black squares. I didn't even know that that room had an exit at first because the exit door was a black square. I just tried it at random to see if it would work, and it did. Also, the intro screen behaves very strangely. I'll see some text appear, then a scene sort of fades in, then it turns into a black screen, then I hit a button and a scene suddenly appears before fading to black and then going to the main starting menu. What do I do about these freaky graphics?

Thankfully the freaky graphics don't interfere with the important part of the game, so another question: Is there any particular penalty for robbing a store? I mean, aside from the shopkeeper trying to gun you down, does anything bad happen? The first time it happened to me, I picked up a shotgun to see the price... It was too expensive, so I held up and hit X to try and throw it into the air, putting it back... Well, instead of that, I blasted the shopkeeper's face off. I kept going "OSHIT OSHIT OSHIT," but other than that, nothing seemed to happen.
    I'm going to assume you're running an Nvidia card.

Go into the Nvidia Control Panel and go into 'adjust image settings with preview', and bullet the third option and set the slider to quality.

Fixed it (the black bars thing) for me.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,435 Posts
    The videos in the OP inspired me to start putting together my own Spelunky death montage. It'll be the many deaths of me, the damsel, and some of the more amusing monsters (cavemen, yetis, etc.)

Naturally it will be set to only the most upbeat and happy music.

26. Post #26
    November 2008
    198 Posts
    After watching the third video, I just realized you could pick up and throw bomb frogs before they explode.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Yeah I got back into this. God I really really suck. Also I'm going to make a death montage as well, have it in tune to music, and make it really badass.

I love this game so much that I would dish out some cash for it.

Also I always bring back and idol and a damsel. I just advance some with her and then the idol. Rinse and repeat.

28. Post #28
    wow ok
    December 2007
    16,419 Posts
    It took me so long to beat this when I first played through it. It's awesome though, I should play through it again.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Yeah I've never been able to beat it yet. Ughh...

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,799 Posts
    Downloaded it again. Friend is playing it too while taking over steam chat. Great game, it's just plain fun.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,435 Posts
    This is my Spelunky death montage. Hope you enjoy. It has a few annotations, but it's probably just as good if you want to disable them.

It was a lot of fun to make. I'll probably keep doing it until I actually manage to reach the end.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,799 Posts

No comment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    May 2009
    4,977 Posts
    Wow...

34. Post #34
    April 2009
    1,151 Posts
    This is my Spelunky death montage. Hope you enjoy. It has a few annotations, but it's probably just as good if you want to disable them.

It was a lot of fun to make. I'll probably keep doing it until I actually manage to reach the end.
    I watched all of it, and you sure know how to throw those enemies into spikes and whatnot! I should try this.

35. Post #35

November 2008
    153 Posts
    Loofiloo, I really don't want this to sound mean, but I just wanna say that you suck :p Though you were like me when I was new. I tried killing everything :D

You do know how to disarm arrow traps, right? Just press c (switch) to get out a rope or a bomb, then walk to the edge and it should drop out of your hands. It'll set off the trap then you can go pick it up...

With those Spike Totem things, just set of the bottom one, wait for it to reload, then sprint and jump on top, then hop on top REAL fast...

Use sprint a lot, it gets you over blocks (Example BGB B = Block G = Gap), you can just run over the gaps.

Other than that, it was funny :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,776 Posts
    after a mere 416 attempts i beat it (using shortcuts).
    now to get all the stuff for the golden city...

37. Post #37
    April 2009
    2,673 Posts
    I played 35 times now, not much i know but i never got farther than first jungle level :(
    This game is so much fun, i love to sacrifice girls :P

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,001 Posts
    This game makes me rage. In a good way.

I'll never see level 4 :(

39. Post #39
    May 2009
    4,977 Posts
    Is it possible to pick up rope that you hung up.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Level 7 is the farthest I've ever gotten. I have discovered one thing though, you will always fall in spikes. No matter how careful you are, death by spikes is going to probably kill you.

Edited:

I need help. I got a shortcut built to level 5. If I exit the game will it go away?