1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    639 Posts
    Little bit of an introduction here, I got the idea for a thread like this from SA, their ghost story threads are magnificent.

First of all - It's possible that this could be considered a post your, but frankly I'm hoping it won't be the +1 inane copy and paste/chat bullshit that makes up the entirety of Fast Threads. Hopefully some interesting stories will get shared, which I reckon makes it GD material.

Second of all - Sceptics - There is nothing wrong with being a sceptic in this thread, please do post if you believe you have a logical explanation for something that happened in a story. What the thread could do without is shitposting about how ghosts aren't real and if you believe it you're stupid. The GD rules back this up, if you think it's shit there's no need to shit all over the thread.

Thirdly - Fiction or Non-Fiction? There will more than likely be a few stories that just don't quite seem to sound genuine. While the thread is mainly about genuine experiences, there's nothing stopping people from posting complete fiction, and it'd be better if the thread wasn't filled up with thousands of people shouting "THIS SOUNDS FAKE".

^ Not that I'm trying to backseat mod, just hoping that some guidelines keep the thread halfway productive.

Without any further adieu, the first of a few short stories of my experiences.

So what the fuck are you doing next to my bed?

It was 2 years ago, and I was still in school, what'd be referred to as High School in America. It was the easter break, which naturally means that schoolkids get tons of time off while no-one else does, it wasn't uncommon for me to be in the house alone for the majority of the day. This story actually takes place a foot away from where I'm typing this, in my bed.

It was a pretty average day off, I'd slept till 12, gone out with my friends to play some rugby. Had a cheeky can of lager like the excitable teen I was, and gone back home because I was tired. This doesn't mean I was drunk by the way, just one can while we were out. So I get home, and my dad's gone to the pub, I go to sleep, and everything seems to be normal.

Then suddenly I awake. I feel something, it's something that can't really be explained until you experience it, but there was just a tangible feeling that something was off. I couldn't see anything, or feel anything, but the air felt heavy and I was wide awake. I can see the clock from where I'm laid, 2:00, I might have heard my father coming back from the pub, I go with that explanation and close my eyes to try to get some shut eye.

That's when I noticed it, how had I not before? To my left is a closet, it's about a meter away from my head, and was never particularly menacing, but it's unmistakeable. I can hear breathing, it's slow, it's quiet, but it's definitely there. At this point I'm in fight or flight mode, there's something in my fucking closet, and I'm not getting pushed around in my own bed, I'm opening the bastard right now.

I lean over the gap between my bed and the closet and place my hand on the handle when I realise something. With my head next to the closet I notice that the breathing isn't actually coming from the closet at all. It's coming from, oh fuck, oh fucking no, I can only imagine I looked like a ghost myself from how ill the realisation made me. I look down and there it is.

It's a man, he's knelt down on all fours beside my bed, so that his head is mere inches from the floor. The bright blue alarm clock doesn't give a startling amount of detail, but he seemed to be wearing a dirty yellow tanktop, and what looked like tracksuit bottoms. He had short hair, but I couldn't see his face as I was right above him, granted I didn't want to see his goddamn face. I stayed where I was, absolutely and completely shitting myself, I was beginning to sweat, I could feel tears beginning to well up in my eyes, I don't want this to carry on anymore.

It starts getting faster, the slow, gentle breathing is gaining speed and becoming louder, I'm shaking so much I'm surprised I didn't fall down there with him. I don't know when I decided, but I just decided the breathing was getting fast enough for me to get the fuck out of there, without a second of hesitation I bolt for the door, rag it open and fly down the stairs as quickly as my legs will take me.

It's a bit of an anti-climax, but I just slept downstairs on the sofa that night with all the lights on, and nothing of the sort has ever happened again. This might have something to do with having to move my bed over that spot when I got a new computer desk though.

Hope you enjoyed what may be a pretty tame story by ghost story standards, but a genuinely terrifying experience for me. I hope that there are enough people who have had experiences who are willing to share them.

Also I'm a bit of a sceptic as well, I will always try to look for a logical answer, but I can't explain what I saw. I'll post some of my other stories once a few more people post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Informative x 8Agree x 4Dumb x 4Bad Spelling x 1Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    224 Posts
    This one time, i thought i saw a ghost watching me masturbate
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 21Agree x 6Dumb x 3Optimistic x 2Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    January 2009
    923 Posts
    this one time i felt a ghost were in my house then i called the ones u gonna call (who are they???)
    and then it was gone
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    5,688 Posts
    This could be explained as that thing where u wake up but you are only half awake and your mind messes with what you are seeing, i can't remember what it is called.

When i was on holiday to ireland we stayed on this farm, i woke up one morning and i could do nothing but look directly at the bottom of my bed and i could hear the very loud noise of wind being caught in like an open window, i saw a strange figure to the right of the bed near the door but as i was looking directly forward it was blurred, whenever i think about it i get the image of Vivian from dawn of the dead opening, pretty terrifying :P

I'm getting a bit anxious and looking around me now just writing about it, guess i'm just a wimp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 2Dumb x 2Informative x 2Optimistic x 1Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,426 Posts
    Well not exactly a ghost story but something strange that happened to me:

It was 1997 or 98 I can't really remember exactly when, anyways one night I had a dream, I was walking around a place, one thing I do remember is it being quite hot and I still remember quite well what it looked like; normally I do not remember much of my dreams but this one stuck very well.

A few years later, must have been 2001 I think, I went on holiday to America, Florida with my mum and sister, after being there a day or so we went to look around the local area and we came to this block of shops, I recognized this from my dream immediately and as far as I'm aware it matched the place I dreamed of exactly; I of course told my mum but she did not believe me.

I still can't explain it, for some reason I dreamed of a place over 3,000 miles away I would visit years later; I've not had any other strange experiences.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2009
    1 Posts
    one time i masturbated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb x 22Funny x 10Informative x 3Late x 2Agree x 1Friendly x 1Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    January 2008
    1,881 Posts
    one time i masturbated
    Get out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 44Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,348 Posts
    I think your mind was just playing tricks with you.
    The world works logically, there is no such thing as ghosts.

What makes you think someone can still be on earth after they die?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

9. Post #9

March 2009
    372 Posts
    I was in my bed and i looked out the window and i saw GMAN then i ran away crying but i was naked so i died

wat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 22Funny x 10Agree x 1Disagree x 1Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    639 Posts

Nothing does, and it probably was my mind merely playing tricks on me, but it didn't make it any less real. Because it was my mind playing tricks on me it felt real, the fear was real, what I saw seemed real, what I heard felt real. So frankly it was just as scary as if ghosts were real.

I say ghost stories in a pretty loose term, whether you believe they're actually ghosts, tricks of the mind, tricks of the light, whatever. I know I get a lot of entertainment reading other people's ghost stories, just like watching ghost movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,426 Posts

Despite all our scientific knowledge we still don't understand fully how the human brain or our universe works, we can't say ghost are real and we can't say we are 100% sure they don't exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    March 2009
    54 Posts
    One time I realised that the human brain can construct some pretty fucked up and scary hallucinations or falsely percieved images and sounds.

IMO ghosts don't exist cause there's no proof of their direct existence, and all these "ghost hunters" are either just in it for the TV cash/for the lulz/because they are fucking dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    359 Posts
    Paranormal events don't exist. And ghosts don't exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 15Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,426 Posts
    Paranormal events don't exist. And ghosts don't exist.
    Care to explain my story then ? because I sure can't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,424 Posts
    Wow, what a coincidence. Yesterday, I was searching if there were any ghost threads around Facepunch recently. There were none, then today, there happened to be a ghost thread made.

That's my strange experience. I'm serious. It's happened to me many times and it started back in 2006 when I "saw" my long lost friend and I meet after school. The next day after school, I happened to see him after school and we greeted each other.

Oh and this stuff happens to me all the time. Like I can see into the future or make up what's gonna happen in the future. I don't do it purposely though. It's like, you think of something but that thought goes away immediately or you never stop and think about that thought, you don't really care about what you were thinking about. Then, it just happens. Not sure if this happens to everyone, but I know it happens to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    132 Posts
    a few years ago, when counter strike source and half-life 2 deathmatch were the most played games
    i was playing hl2dm at 3 am, i have to move my computer to the living room, because my room was being painted.
    so
    i was playing, when suddenly the door of the bathroom opens itself! and i see a figure like a woman in a black dress holding something like a chest, and she walked like 3 feet and disappear in the air...
    i was fucking scared, but i continued playing like nothing happened.
    heres a pic

also, thread music:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mexico Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,599 Posts
    So let me get this straight, you had a dirty old man kneeling on all fours right under you and all you did was go to sleep on the sofa and not call the cops or anything?

I'm guessing it was just some lonely hobo who was looking for some company and was going to leave before you woke up but then you woke up too quickly and scared the poor guy away. He then went on to commit suicide.

A perfectly logical solution.

That or it was a fucking criminal who could have harmed you and you just slept on the sofa. :raise:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,827 Posts
    When I was a baby I slept in my parents room. I don't remember exactly, but I do remember an old woman.

Apparently my mum would hear me whining or being restless and then suddenly I'd laugh, or giggle. She also says she heard a woman going 'Sh, sh, sh' like hushing me or something.

Then I got my own room, and my brother slept in my parents' room. He saw the same woman.

Ages later we began to redecorate everything, and under the floorboards of my parents' room were a load of old newspapers, some old woman's clothes, like a shawl and some other stuff, and a girl's doll.

That's the only time I've actually seen something paranormal and not had a logical explanation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 11 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,599 Posts
    When I was a baby I slept in my parents room. I don't remember exactly, but I do remember an old woman.

Apparently my mum would hear me whining or being restless and then suddenly I'd laugh, or giggle. She also says she heard a woman going 'Sh, sh, sh' like hushing me or something.

Then I got my own room, and my brother slept in my parents' room. He saw the same woman.

Ages later we began to redecorate everything, and under the floorboards of my parents' room were a load of old newspapers, some old woman's clothes, like a shawl and some other stuff, and a girl's doll.
    This sounds like one of those stories your parents make up to scare you.

They're probably having a good old laugh at you as we speak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2008
    321 Posts
    I've never had an experience that can't be explained through reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,827 Posts
    This sounds like one of those stories your parents make up to scare you.

They're probably having a good old laugh at you as we speak.
    But it didn't scare me...or my brother.

If anything it was them that were worried.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    May 2008
    713 Posts
    It was probably just a Hunter who wasn't dressed properly. You should be glad the player was AFK, you might have been pounced!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,599 Posts
    I've never had an experience that can't be explained through reason.
    I wake up in the middle of the night and see a strange dark mass at my doorway appearing to be facing my direction.

Suddenly I remember the age old technique passed down throughout my family and slap myself hard across the face, I'm startled but soon I'm wide awake.

The blob's gone and all is well, cool story eh?

Must have been Ghosts and the sound of me slapping my face scared them off.

Explain that one Skeptics!

But it didn't scare me...or my brother.

If anything it was them that were worried.
    You were not even slightly worried that some Old woman was being allowed access to your bedroom at night to coo you to sleep?

I would have questioned my parents method of parenting to be honest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

24. Post #24
    March 2009
    54 Posts
    Care to explain my story then ? because I sure can't.
    Your brain can do some weird and scary things.

End of story until proven otherwise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2009
    54 Posts
    I wake up in the middle of the night and see a strange dark mass at my doorway appearing to be facing my direction.

Suddenly I remember the age old technique passed down throughout my family and slap myself hard across the face, I'm startled but soon I'm wide awake.

The blob's gone and all is well, cool story eh?

Must have been Ghosts and the sound of me slapping my face scared them off.

Explain that one Skeptics!
    Although your sarcasm is extremely obvious, if you are at least serious about the "blob", then that's probably night terrors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    March 2009
    77 Posts
    Once I was driving in a car with my parents. I was sitting in the front and I looked at this old building.
    There was a circle-shaped window, and when I looked at it, I could see a man or something staring at me. I put my head down and started shitting bricks....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,599 Posts
    Although your sarcasm is extremely obvious, if you are at least serious about the "blob", then that's probably night terrors.
    Sarcasm?

What sarcasm?

/sarcasm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,424 Posts
    This is sarcastic. /sarcasm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,248 Posts

What makes you think they cant?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,599 Posts
    This is sarcastic. /sarcasm
    You just blew my mind.

And I think that my extreme skepticism regarding these matters is coming off quite heavily in this thread...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,083 Posts
    It was a while ago, I had a paper route and I was walking at 04:00 in the morning, it had just snowed and everything was white and untouched and the sky had a hint of white/gray. There was absolutely no sounds or noises, including wind. So I just walked there unnerved, listening to my footsteps tramp down snow.
    As I am walking there holding on to my cart and pulling it through the snow I hear a rustle, kind of startled since it was the first noise I've heard not caused by me on the route I turn around and face a kind of wired fence. I look for a few seconds while my eyes get used to what they're seeing and I'm starting to turn around when something that had looked like a cluster of snow just before seemed to move in a way that formed a tall, thin, snow white figure, it looked like it had been bending over towards me judging how it stood up. It moved away from me and disappeared behind some garage leaving me frozen there. I took a good 10-15 seconds before I carried on walking nervously.
    I'm skeptical on all paranormal things but I'm convinced that what I saw wasn't human.

What always bothered me about it was the way that it had just stood there eyeing me while I looked straight at it not really seeing it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Iceland Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    1,154 Posts
    one time, a ghost came into my house and told me to get my ass out. Then I asked him what he wanted from me, and he bent down to look at me and said "I want three fiddy."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    639 Posts
    It was a while ago, I had a paper route and I was walking at 04:00 in the morning, it had just snowed and everything was white and untouched and the sky had a hint of white/gray. There was absolutely no sounds or noises, including wind. So I just walked there unnerved, listening to my footsteps tramping down snow.
    As I am walking there holding on to my cart and pulling it through the snow I hear a rustle, kind of startled since it was the first noise I've heard not caused by me on the route I turn around and face a kind of wired fence, I look for a few seconds while my eyes get used to what they're seeing and I'm starting to turn around when something that had looked like a cluster of snow just before seemed to move in a way that formed a tall, thin, snow white figure. It moved away from me and disappeared behind some garage leaving me frozen there. I took a good 10-15 seconds before I carried on walking nervously.
    I'm skeptical on all paranormal things but I'm convinced that what I saw wasn't a human.

What always bothered me about it was the way that it had just stood there eyeing me while I looked straight at it not really seeing it.
    Gah, this is how you do it. Creepy, real or not it doesn't matter because it's entertaining.

I mean come on Facepunch, even gbs can control themselves from shitposting a ghost story thread, I wasn't expecting much, but can you stop clogging the place up? Don't care? Don't post.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Agree Agree x 4Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    June 2006
    729 Posts
    Some weeks after my sister died, we noticed a sweetly perfume going around our house, it was one of the perfumes she used to wear.

And, the very same day she died, i woke up from a dream i had about her standing with another man, in a white like dress and that man also had white clothing. I barely remember it now but i understood that she was saying her goodbyes and stupid as i was, i shrugged it off. That same night we got a call from the police that she was found dead in her appartment and apparently had been dead for a few days.. She died of overdose of painkillers.

We even felt her presence during that "occurence" with the perfume.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    April 2009
    34 Posts
    How about the fact that there's zero evidence or interest in the scientific community, in relation to the supernatural. With all of this chatter about ghosts, they should be as plentiful as rabbits. I don't remember a ghost story that isn't correlated with religion. Exorcisms always work in these stories (seriously). Just like religion, ghosts are based purely on supposition.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    1,599 Posts
    Gah, this is how you do it. Creepy, real or not it doesn't matter because it's entertaining.

I mean come on Facepunch, even gbs can control themselves from shitposting a ghost story thread, I wasn't expecting much, but can you stop clogging the place up? Don't care? Don't post.
    Yo, I'm playing by your rules here and coming up with some logical solutions to the stories.

Oh but I do care because some of these stories entertain me if they are well told and written, it's also great when a story does come up that is difficult to explain.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    April 2007
    1,897 Posts
    This one time I saw a ghost

true story
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2009
    34 Posts
    This one time I saw a ghost

true story
    That's nothing. I saw one kept behaving cryptically, whispering in my ear, and occasionally appearing for a brief moment.

I was pretty disappointed with the F.E.A.R series though.

39. Post #39
    April 2009
    64 Posts

Hurf durf people are buried on Earth not in outer space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    May 2005
    167 Posts
    I have a quickie.

I was playing Team Fortress Classic alone in the house. It's about 4:00 PM and my parents left a while back to watch a movie so I figured around now they'd be back. So shortly after I hear from downstairs, "we're home" and some other random chit-chat between my mom and dad. So I take a break from TFC and go down to ask how the movie was and all that stuff but amazingly, nobody was there. I felt chilled as soon as I realized this. The voices sounded so real and believeable.

Well, after that I played some more TFC while also being scared shitless. Not the best story but this thread made me remember it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)