1. Post #1
    May 2005
    117 Posts
    A perfectly harmless companion cube. Absolultely nothing to be afraid of at all. It definitely cannot speak. In fact, if it could speak, I'm sure it would be quite friendly. But that doesn't matter because it can't speak. Or move. And it certainly won't stab you, either. That's for sure.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly x 19Funny x 7Lua King x 3Agree x 3Informative x 1Zing x 1Artistic x 1Dumb x 1Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2007
    118 Posts
    *looks around shiftily, then grabs cube and runs away*

HEHEHEH

EDIT: The first time I played with this, it scared me shitless. For some reason I really didn't want to disconnect, I just wanted to see what would happen, and it took me ages to realize it was doing something. Seriously fucking scary stuff for the first time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2007
    156 Posts
    So, what? Does it actually talk? Or is that just a joke?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    May 2005
    117 Posts
    cla2be posted:
    So, what? Does it actually talk? Or is that just a joke?
    Of course not. Don't be silly. Inanimate objects can't talk or stalk you relentlessy or stab you to death. That's preposterous.

:ninja:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 37Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    tjl
    February 2006
    327 Posts
    I hate to be a nag, but typo on line 223

Edit:

also cool SEnt :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2007
    118 Posts
    OK, this is SO scary. Whatever you do, DON'T TURN AWAY. DON'T BLINK. KEEP YOUR EYES ON IT AT ALL TIMES. And try to stay sane for more than 10 seconds.

You get a zing for this things unbelievable awesomeness.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    tjl
    February 2006
    327 Posts
    actually typos in all your trace.filter's

Edit:

mandible posted:
    OK, this is SO scary. Whatever you do, DON'T TURN AWAY. DON'T BLINK. KEEP YOUR EYES ON IT AT ALL TIMES. And try to stay sane for more than 10 seconds.

You get a zing for this things unbelievable awesomeness.
    what are you talking about?? it is completely harmless...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,080 Posts
    Lol, brilliant.
    You should make it so if the player it's tracking is looking in the general direction of it it doesn't do anything. Kinda like a "moving bush" that a cartoon character is in
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2005
    22 Posts
    Finally, I have always wanted my own Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube, that in fact will not speak to, scare, or stab me...

[spoiler]Couldn't test it, but I did look at the code[/spoiler]

10. Post #10
    April 2007
    2 Posts
    You should make it say: "I will stab you in your back!" Or "do you have a cola?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    150 Posts
    :P Why would the companion cube say something like that?
    Also, it's better left for people to wonder what the cube says to you if it does speak.

On topic: Great SENT, loved portal, love this.

12. Post #12
    April 2007
    2 Posts
    It should say it because then you think you are crazy

On topic: I love it to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,050 Posts
    Hahaha I was taking a glance at the code (I don't know anything about Lua) but I think I understood what this does :)
    Nice, gold star'd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Romania Show Events Lua King Lua King x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    502 Posts
    Okay, I just played the game, and this thing is creepy as hell, but yet ..*shiver* ...I have got to show my friend this later...:)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    November 2007
    57 Posts
    Nice! Something to scare my friends with if they haven't found about about this yet

edit:
    I found out that it goes all crazy when weld something to it.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    150 Posts
    Twitwi posted:
    It should say it because then you think you are crazy

On topic: I love it to.
    Haha, good point, would be great with surround sound, just walking around, then you hear it talking to you. That would be pretty freaky in the real world.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,739 Posts
    Well, it is mostly harmless.

18. Post #18
    January 2007
    118 Posts
    hmmm... what are your friends like foda?!?!?

:D

19. Post #19
    April 2007
    534 Posts
    People might think you're a crazy genius for creating this.

I just think you're a genius.

Edit:

I'm so gonna replace that model.

20. Post #20
    August 2007
    2 Posts
    i'm about to try it now, should be fun :)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    3,275 Posts
    Looking at the source code, it looks really crazy. I wanna see a video of it.

22. Post #22
    Terrible Moderator
    January 2007
    990 Posts
    Just looked over the code... very nice work. King'd.

edit - shame about the download image, though, I thought that was one of the less accurate-looking models of the WCC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2007
    118 Posts
    I have to congratulate you, this is the first thing in gmod which has actually scared me. As in Really scared me. Almost as much as watching the ring. Keep working on it, it needs more stuff. Maybe you turn to face it, and see a face which disappears very quickly. Or see flashes of it in the corner of your eye, then turn around and it's behind you.

24. Post #24

December 2007
    1 Posts
    would anyone care to enlighten me as to how i could replace the model in this? The gnome haunts my dreams as it is =D

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    434 Posts
    I love it!

26. Post #26
    June 2007
    172 Posts
    Awesome!

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,262 Posts
    Nice! Stabby "Companion" AKA "Alma-from-Fear-with-teleporting-and-sounds-and-backstabbing

28. Post #28
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    I'm now scared to play portal with the cube let alone Garry's mod.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,960 Posts
    I love it.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    569 Posts
    I love you! <3

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    211 Posts
    behehehe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,053 Posts
    That thing actually scared me while i was playing on Dustbowl.
    1. I decided to try and keep an eye on it, so i placed a camera and turned away. It didn't move. I placed an RT camera and placed a monitor. I think it moved in front of me.
    2. I place a PHX window (a couple actually). It moved through them. Try playing with this thing in Ravenholm :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2008
    15,770 Posts
    gward516 posted:
    would anyone care to enlighten me as to how i could replace the model in this? The gnome haunts my dreams as it is =D
    	self:SetModel( "models/props/metal_box.mdl" )
    	self:SetSkin( 1 )

Find that in the lua file and you could change it to whatever you want.

Edit: This seems awesome but I haven't tested it... I must test it when I get the chance! :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    August 2006
    26 Posts
    Wow this is creepy. good work.

35. Post #35
    July 2007
    34 Posts
    Luafox posted:
    	self:SetModel( "models/props/metal_box.mdl" )
    	self:SetSkin( 1 )

Find that in the lua file and you could change it to whatever you want.

Edit: This seems awesome but I haven't tested it... I must test it when I get the chance! :D

Where do I find the models?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    September 2005
    48 Posts
    holy fucking hilarity

37. Post #37
    January 2008
    15,770 Posts
    kai_robert posted:
    Where do I find the models?
    It depends what model you want... Most are hidden, if not all default models. There is some way to find them, I think it's called gcfscape but I'm not sure it's that.

38. Post #38
    July 2007
    34 Posts
    Luafox posted:
    It depends what model you want... Most are hidden, if not all default models. There is some way to find them, I think it's called gcfscape but I'm not sure it's that.
    But if I cannot find the location and name of the models, I cannot place them in the lua text file.

39. Post #39
    January 2008
    15,770 Posts
    kai_robert posted:
    But if I cannot find the location and name of the models, I cannot place them in the lua text file.
    Well I think the path and name of the models is in the spawnlist in Garrys Mod, so you could look there for a wanted model. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,248 Posts
    kai_robert posted:

Get the program GCFScape and open the GCF files with the models.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)