1. Post #1
    July 2007
    3 Posts
    Does it cost money and how much and where do I buy it? I tried making a server on the menu where it says create multiplayer, but it didn't come up on the server list when I scanned it.

Edit:

waiting...waiting....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 48Funny x 5Agree x 3Winner x 3Friendly x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2007
    3 Posts
    I don't think making a server is going to cost you money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Puerto Rico Show Events Agree x 19Dumb x 3Funny x 2Disagree x 2Informative x 1Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    July 2007
    3 Posts
    but do you know how to make one? that's what i want to know
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    40 Posts
    Start up the server, and type the commands "sv_lan 0" and "heartbeat" in console, and then your server should be on the list.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny x 11Disagree x 2Optimistic x 2Dumb x 2Agree x 2Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    300 Posts
    Are your ports forwarded?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    February 2007
    22 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    March 2007
    14 Posts
    I'm literally laughing my ass off when I read this thread, seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Disagree x 86Dumb x 22Agree x 17Friendly x 2Late x 1Bad Reading x 1Zing x 1Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8

July 2007
    1 Posts
    You can do create server or make dedicated server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member

July 2006
    1,178 Posts
    just do the create multiplayer thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 20Bad Reading x 6Disagree x 4Agree x 2Funny x 2Useful x 1Bad Spelling x 1Late x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    February 2007
    22 Posts
    Pentrazemine posted:
    I'm literally laughing my ass off when I read this thread, seriously.
    How can you literally laugh your ass off?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree x 53Funny x 30Zing x 3Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11

July 2007
    2 Posts
    Flann posted:
    How can you literally laugh your ass off?
    The last time I checked, you couldn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 41Agree x 8Funny x 5Winner x 2Optimistic x 2Late x 1Dumb x 1Useful x 1Zing x 1Bad Reading x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    May 2007
    2 Posts
    Cozmo891 posted:
    The last time I checked, you couldn't.
    It happens when you laugh so hard the vibrations from your gigglebox cause your anus and ass fat to detach from the ass slot of your body.

It can be very dangerous to have a steady ROTFL fits.

Its ok to have a frequent lol diet.

About the topic can't you just choose the dedicated server from the 'tools' tab in steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Funny x 46Informative x 9Useful x 6Agree x 5Dumb x 3Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    wasted $2 on a title
    June 2007
    1,486 Posts
    Hod? I think you mean how.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events Dumb x 3Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1Disagree x 1Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    July 2007
    5 Posts
    KingOfSpades posted:
    Start up the server, and type the commands "sv_lan 0" and "heartbeat" in console, and then your server should be on the list.

That does not work for me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15

July 2007
    7 Posts
    That thing is crap. I tried using it and it has the most useless frikin instruction I've EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER used. 'First of all download hldsupdatetool from the VALVe webserver. Make a dir called srcds_l, and save hldsupdatetool in that dir and run it. (Check this out when you have an uncompress error.)' 'First edit (or create) srcds_l/cstrike/cfg/server.cfg like you want it to be. Now we are ready to run the srcds.
    ./srcds_run -console -game cstrike +map de_dust -maxplayers 16 -autoupdate
    and press enter. (-game hl2mp if it's a HL2DM server ofcourse)
    Your srcds is now up and running.'. HOW THE HELL CAN ANYONE DO THAT.

Edit:

treythepunki posted:
    About the topic can't you just choose the dedicated server from the 'tools' tab in steam.
    That doesn't work at all either, it doesn't show gmod after you install it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

16. Post #16

June 2007
    1 Posts
    Just click create multiplayer, then set your settings, after that, click start game and you will join it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 29Disagree x 14Bad Reading x 1Funny x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17

July 2007
    1 Posts
    What if you can't see the screen? Mine goes black after it loads...It's really bad...I see the Big G in the right corner, then, BOOM its black...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2006
    1,034 Posts
    For god sake..you have to forward your ports.Or else your internet won't let you create your own server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    December 2005
    22 Posts
    All you have to do is press the create button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Dumb x 24Disagree x 7Funny x 3Bad Reading x 1Agree x 1Late x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2007
    5 Posts
    i know you guys are chatting, but i need help with this to!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    September 2005
    8 Posts
    same here i port forwarded and all it doesn't work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,296 Posts
    Your internets seems sick :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Belgium Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    March 2007
    8 Posts
    I have the same problem, i've opened ports 27000 to 27050 both udp and TCP, port 5273 tcp and 7002 tcp on both my router and firewall. I have tried sv_lan 0, heartbeat / setting it to a lan game then sv_lan 0 , heartbeat / setting my external ip unsing the "ip" command and just tried giving my external ip to my friends but they still can't connect, just get server not responding. I know it's not the firewall or router because I was able to host an internet game of hl2dm a few days ago which 2 of my friends and a few other people joined but i have not been able to get another hl2dm or any other game running. i've tried both dedicated servers and listen servers all with no luck! damn this spelling thing! :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2007
    17 Posts
    I don't know if this is considered advertising, an admin can delete this, but I'll rent anyone a server for $2.00 a slot.

Edit:

That means any Steam game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb x 16Funny x 1Informative x 1Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    August 2005
    21 Posts
    ograymic posted:
    I have the same problem, i've opened ports 27000 to 27050 both udp and TCP, port 5273 tcp and 7002 tcp on both my router and firewall. I have tried sv_lan 0, heartbeat / setting it to a lan game then sv_lan 0 , heartbeat / setting my external ip unsing the "ip" command and just tried giving my external ip to my friends but they still can't connect, just get server not responding. I know it's not the firewall or router because I was able to host an internet game of hl2dm a few days ago which 2 of my friends and a few other people joined but i have not been able to get another hl2dm or any other game running. i've tried both dedicated servers and listen servers all with no luck! damn this spelling thing! :(
    From what I know the ports needed are 27020-27040 on TCP and 1200,27000-27015 on UDP. When I have those forwarded, my servers show up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    July 2007
    44 Posts
    I'm pretty sure you have to pay for a server otherwise there would be millions of servers. When you click create server it just make a LAN server.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    526 Posts
    Kastralis posted:
    I'm pretty sure you have to pay for a server otherwise there would be millions of servers. When you click create server it just make a LAN server.

Wrong. wrongwrongwrongwrong

My advice: if you're just going to play with friends, use Hamachi (http://hamachi.cc), a free VPNer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    January 2007
    4 Posts
    cloud_strife posted:

Wrong. wrongwrongwrongwrong

My advice: if you're just going to play with friends, use Hamachi (http://hamachi.cc), a free VPNer.
    Ok I just got that and I have a thing running. Do I just start a server?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    526 Posts
    Your friends must have hamachi as well, and then they have to join your network.

Then, when they all are on your network, your games should show up under the LAN tab of servers.

If they can't find it, do this:
    Right click "My Network Places"
    Properties
    Up top, click the advanced menu (where file, edit, etc are)
    Click Advanced Settings...
    Move Hamachi to the top of the list (using those green arrows on the side).

If that doesn't work, tell your friends to go to steam and add your hamachi IP (the big number in the hamachi window) as a favorite server.

If that still doesn't work, turn off all firewalls.

If that still doesn't work, right click your friends' names in hamachi and click "Advanced", then in "Peer VPN alias", write the first three sets of numbers of your hamachi address, then their fourth set of numbers.
    So, if your address is 5.123.345.123 and your friends address is 5.312.543.32, then their "Peer VPN alias" should be 5.123.345.32. (Putting them on the same class c network as you).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 8Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    244 Posts
    This is propably most asked question here and most dumb, Everytime you start gmod you seem to miss the "create multiplayer server" text, No one ever sees it i think it should be written in red to make sure everyone would see it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 50Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    817 Posts
    1live posted:
    This is propably most asked question here and most dumb, Everytime you start gmod you seem to miss the "create multiplayer server" text, No one ever sees it i think it should be written in red to make sure everyone would see it.
    But its more complicated, then that there's hldsupdatetool port forwarding and stuff, reply if you know what your doing okay?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2007
    17 Posts
    1live posted:
    That makes a lan server, they want a public server so other people can join.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    July 2007
    44 Posts
    Haha sorry, actually when I wrote that I had just got gmod an hour ago so I was going from experience with other source games.
    Sorry :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2007
    24 Posts
    Forward your ports! That's all you need to do. forwardforwardforwardforward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    June 2007
    10 Posts
    Port Forwarding doesn't work alone on some routers. My Linksys router fails at everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    August 2005
    21 Posts
    Tazza posted:
    But its more complicated, then that there's hldsupdatetool port forwarding and stuff, reply if you know what your doing okay?
    That's for dedicated servers, he was talking about a listen server.

And for everyone's information, using the "Create Multiplayer" does not make a LAN server unless you set it so. It makes a listen server. The reason most of you think it's LAN only is because you don't have the correct ports forwarded or you have sv_lan set to 1 (or both).
    You see all those servers with [L] before them? Those were all made with the "Create Multiplayer" button.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Bad Reading Bad Reading x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    March 2007
    128 Posts
    Kurtis posted:
    Does it cost money and how much and where do I buy it? I tried making a server on the menu where it says create multiplayer, but it didn't come up on the server list when I scanned it.

Edit:

waiting...waiting....
    Ok, first off - no you don't need to pay for a server, unless you want a high-end one for a lot of players. When you create your own server from the Create Multiplayer menu, make sure that the LAN box is un-checked. If you still can't see your server online, you need to forward (or "open") some ports on your router so it's visible online. Here's the basics:

1) Type http://192.168.0.1/ in your browser address bar.
    2) If you're asked for a username and password, enter admin as a name but no password and hit enter.
    3) Now look for a page / section on the router config screen you're looking at that's called "Virtual Server" (That is most likley the port forwarding page, but every router varies).
    4) Now HL2 games require 3 ports open:
    Code:
    UDP Port 27015
    TCP Port 27015
    UDP Port 27020
    Set those ports so they're open on the Virtual Server / forwarding page and make sure it's for the computer you're using (Usually 192.168.0.100). It might be a little confusing but I can't help you there unless i know what kind of router you have.

5)After step 4 is done, Garrysmod should be visible online!

If you want to make a dedicated server (A server run from a dialog box without you needing to actually join the game), then download this little package: GMod_Server.zip (708KB) and extract it's contents somewhere. Look at the readme. It will download all needed content for your server. Note that it's a little bit more complicated to run a dedicated server so search the forums a bit about that if needed - but using that little kit is WAY easier than downloading it from http://srcds.com/

Hope that helps! The rest of you MingeBags just posted crap that didn't help the poor newbie out. *shakes fists*

That little gmod server kit I linked to above originally came from http://time2burn.org/ but the website has since then disappeared :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative x 22Winner x 3Friendly x 2Agree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    May 2007
    337 Posts
    1live posted:
    And you seemed to miss all the text in page 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    July 2007
    3 Posts
    Cornflake posted:
    Ok, first off - no you don't need to pay for a server, unless you want a high-end one for a lot of players. When you create your own server from the Create Multiplayer menu, make sure that the LAN box is un-checked. If you still can't see your server online, you need to forward (or "open") some ports on your router so it's visible online. Here's the basics:

2) If you're asked for a username and password, enter admin as a name but no password and hit enter.
    3) Now look for a page / section on the router config screen you're looking at that's called "Virtual Server" (That is most likley the port forwarding page, but every router varies).
    Code:
    UDP Port 27015
    TCP Port 27015
    UDP Port 27020
    Set those ports so they're open on the Virtual Server / forwarding page and make sure it's for the computer you're using (Usually 192.168.0.100). It might be a little confusing but I can't help you there unless i know what kind of router you have.

If you want to make a dedicated server (A server run from a dialog box without you needing to actually join the game), then download this little package: GMod_Server.zip (708KB) and extract it's contents somewhere. Look at the readme. It will download all needed content for your server. Note that it's a little bit more complicated to run a dedicated server so search the forums a bit about that if needed - but using that little kit is WAY easier than downloading it from http://srcds.com/

Hope that helps! The rest of you MingeBags just posted crap that didn't help the poor newbie out. *shakes fists*

That little gmod server kit I linked to above originally came from http://time2burn.org/ but the website has since then disappeared :(
    Ok i'm all set now! :) thnk yous all
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 8Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    June 2007
    404 Posts
    Cornflake posted:

Code:
    UDP Port 27015
    TCP Port 27015
    UDP Port 27020

How can you figure out the computer's IP address? In case it's not 192.168.0.100

Crap still doesn't work for me. A friend tried to join and he said it had a latency of 2000, not responding. I have a D-Link wireless router. My real IP is 69.153.237.69 but my router will not let me use that IP. Also, my router has to accept both G and B speeds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events