1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    North American audiences got a big taste of what international movie fans have already been enjoying as the super hero value pack The Avengers smashed the all-time opening weekend record kickstarting the summer blockbuster season in an unbelievable manner. Marketed and distributed by Disney, the PG-13 film grossed a jaw-dropping $200.3M over the Friday-to-Sunday period obliterating the previous record of $169.2M set last July by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 surpassing it by more than $30M. Both films were helped by 3D and IMAX runs. Playing in 4,349 locations, the per-theater average was a scorching $46,063.

Many years in the making following solo movies from Marvel and Paramount, The Avengers was always expected to have one of the biggest debuts of all-time but the eventual turnout was even more than expected. Disney staked its claim on the May 4 weekend early on scaring away all other studios as no other film opened in wide release. That allowed Avengers to book extra screens within every megaplex thereby boosting its grossing potential. Getting a sixth or seventh screen is extra hard in June and July when so many tentpoles are playing side by side. The super heroes dominated the marketplace sucking up 80% of the entire box office this weekend. After just a single weekend, Avengers has already beaten the total grosses of every Hulk, Captain America, and Thor film.

The record-breaking weekend kicked off on Friday with a towering $80.5M marking the second best opening day ever trailing the $91.1M of the final Potter. But as is normally the case with early May films when schools are still in session, the Saturday decline was not as high as the teen wizard's which was a July release. Avengers dropped 13% to $69.7M making for the best Saturday gross ever by far beating the $51.3M of 2007's Spider-Man 3. Disney is estimating a 28% decline for Sunday which would put it at $50.1M. Even if the forecast proves to be a little optimistic, it would still break the record for the biggest Sunday gross in history. That milestone has been held for four years by The Dark Knight's $43.6M. Thursday night midnight grosses were $18.7M which was far short of a record but the Avengers audience was more patient and did not have as much upfront demand to see the first possible show that Harry Potter and Twilight audiences have displayed.

If the estimate holds, Avengers will also set a new speed record for breaking the double-century mark. Rival studios projected the weekend estimate to be in the $195-201M range. The Saturday drop for Avengers was in line with Marvel's biggest pics opening over this same frame like Spider-Man 3 (-14%) and Iron Man 2 (-11%) while the projected Sunday drop falls in between the 22% of Spidey and the 32% of the second Iron Man. Avengers is certainly better liked by the fans than those sequels as it earned a perfect A+ CinemaScore which the studio hopes indicates good word-of-mouth that will spark repeat business as well as a broadening of the audience.
    The film has grossed approximately $600 million worldwide so far. Full article on RottenTomatoes.

I haven't had a chance to see the film yet (gotta get through finals first), but this is great news. Good for Josh Whedon and the rest of the team!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 104Optimistic x 1Useful x 1Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    I'm going this Wednesday with a huge group of friends.

Goddamn it, Wednesday needs to get here faster!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,226 Posts
    It was an awesome movie with fantastic action sequences, an engaging plot and a good amount of humor as well.

Well worth it.

Edited:

Also Tony Stark fuck yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 96Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    ❤Hazama❤
    April 2010
    802 Posts
    It really deserves it. The Avengers was a really, really good movie, and it's nice to see it get rewarded for all the hard work that was put into it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 52Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2011
    1,169 Posts
    But, is it really that good, or is it the new Avatar?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Peru Show Events Dumb Dumb x 36Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    A movie making a shitload of money that truly and genuinely deserves it?

Why, I feel my heart growing at least three sizes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 62Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    It was an awesome movie with fantastic action sequences, an engaging plot and a good amount of humor as well.

Well worth it.
    "Engaging plot" is what I really like to hear. I give a lot of leeway for movies with bad action but good story, but never for good action but cruddy story. But I didn't think this movie would fit into that last description anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,697 Posts
    Christ, it's already at 600 million?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    I thought "Avatar" was a fantastic piece of entertainment, even if it was essentially Pocahontas in Space.

Regardless, by all accounts "The Avengers" appears to deserve every penny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 43Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    17,300 Posts
    i feel like i haven't seen any advertising for this movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts
    I'll admit it, when I first saw how popular it was I thought it must be overblown.

But almost every critic review is positive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,288 Posts
    noooooo Avatar was hyped by the whole 3D thing, The Avengers is all around a great fucking movie. It was everything you want from action to laughing your ass off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    2,963 Posts
    The money they raked in was rightfully earned. The Avengers was an incredible movie.
    Glad to see them take the #1 spot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    October 2007
    696 Posts
    If you havent seen it, you should.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

15. Post #15
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,227 Posts
    move over Harry Potterlight Games teenagers saving world #33434323, the avengers are here
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    i feel like i haven't seen any advertising for this movie.
    I've seen a lot of on television, but almost none on internet ads.

17. Post #17
    SERGEANT OF THE MASTER SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX
    June 2010
    2,198 Posts
    Fantastic movie to say the least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    sup, it's FoxPie
    June 2008
    3,599 Posts
    Thor was probably the most badass in the movie, definitely what he should have been in his own film. Hulk i'd say was a close second (and fucking hilarious at that)

The movie was fantastic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

19. Post #19
    February 2009
    25,757 Posts
    Thor was probably the most badass in the movie, definitely what he should have been in his own film. Hulk i'd say was a close second (and fucking hilarious at that)

The movie was fantastic
    I'm really hoping Thor does a lot better in this film. In my opinion, the movie "Thor" was really terrible. One of Marvel's worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    It is really that good, and its not like Avatar was that bad either.

21. Post #21
    June 2010
    1,937 Posts
    Seriously (only click if you watched it already)     Marvel movies won't be the same without Coulson anymore and every time I re-watch the previous others with him... I was screaming inside he was one of my top favorites :(    
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 18Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    I'm really hoping Thor does a lot better in this film. In my opinion, the movie "Thor" was really terrible. One of Marvel's worse.
    Thor was very forgettable is the problem.

23. Post #23
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,149 Posts
    The Avengers is incredible. It had the style of a comic, it was incredible. And I like how they didn't make one character the focus. They shared in it and relied on each other, complimented each other. The Dark Knight was my favorite movie, I saw it five times in the theater, but The Avengers is my favorite now. And the one scene with Hulk in Stark Tower. Easily one of my favorites.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    1,091 Posts
    The movie was good, the story was a little weak at times, but overall I would rate it in my top 5 favorite super hero movies.

25. Post #25
    September 2005
    12,349 Posts
    Saw it twice, love it.

Then I went and watched both Thor and Captain America because I had missed them.
    I plan on getting all of the Marvel movies that tie into this directly and lining them up chronologically on my shelf.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 15Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    sup, it's FoxPie
    June 2008
    3,599 Posts
    Yeah the movie Thor was pretty bad, but in this one Thor really lives up to what he should have been in his own film which is a super powerful GOD OF THUNDER. He's badass as fuck in this movie
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    Thor was very forgettable is the problem.
    I think Thor would have been a better movie if they had focused less on the romance subplot (sorry Natalie Portman) and more on the mythology and character of Thor. I think Iron Man handles this kind of thing exceptionally well; sure, we knew that there was a romance between Pepper and Tony, but it was simply casual and only took up a few minutes of each film. In Thor, it almost felt like the focus at times.

Chris Hemsworth certainly has the look and charm necessary to play the part, but I think they needed to go further with the character to make the movie truly memorable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17 (list)

28. Post #28
    October 2008
    3,997 Posts
    jeremy renner <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,532 Posts
    jesus fucking christ was this movie good

i mean the plot wasn't bad at all and there was a clear storyline

BUT JESUS FUCK THOSE ACTION SEQUENCES

like aolsnfkabgjsndfsndkgldfkg if you haven't seen it you're a peasant

Edited:

Also, you get to see what happens when Thor's hammer hits C.A.'s shield.

Fuck bro I wanna buy this movie like 10 times on blu ray
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Ask Me About my Castlevania fetish.
    February 2012
    517 Posts

Well worth it.

Edited:

Also Tony Stark fuck yeah
    Really? I guess Ill check it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,907 Posts
    We have to wait a couple of months for the DVD/Blu-Ray to come out. Fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    December 2009
    4,605 Posts
    It really does deserve every penny. It's one of the best goddamn movies I've ever seen. The action was great, the comedy was great, the characters were great, etc. And they managed to balance the focus and importance between the cast. They managed to make Black Widow, who has the power of "being Scarlett Johansson", have roughly the same amount of impact on the story as Thor, who has the power of "being a motherfucking Norse god". I don't know how they managed to do that, but they did, and it was great.

There were a few things that could have been done a bit better, but they were mostly CGI things. And one character that didn't get much screen time kind of looked like he was out of a Power Rangers episode.

But still: it deserves the hype it's getting.

33. Post #33
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,878 Posts
    It was a good movie. I'll probably watch it again later this month, but some of the humor wasn't funny at all imo.

Maybe it's cause I was so pissed at the lady texting the whole movie with her baby on her lap.

I think that The Dark Knight Rises will be better though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

34. Post #34
    Skeepan Member
    September 2007
    3,700 Posts
    I went to see it at midnight. While the place was crawling with neckbearded hipsters, it was well worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,066 Posts
    I think that The Dark Knight Rises will be better though.
    Difficult to compare to the two as Nolan's Batman trilogy has a completely different style and tone. Nolan's trilogy is complex, gritty, and really rather dark. The Marvel Universe is, despite a few dark moments, primarily lighthearted and a ridiculously good time.

I'd say I enjoy the Marvel Universe and Nolan's Batman equally as they both occupy different areas of the superhero spectrum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    I'm going this Wednesday with a huge group of friends.

Goddamn it, Wednesday needs to get here faster!
    Mr. Right and Mr. Left and they both brought five friends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    October 2009
    9,446 Posts
    Easily one of the best movies I've seen in a while.
    I don't know who had me laughing harder, at times... Tony, or Hulk.

One thing that bugged me, though... They included the scene of Hulk catching Iron Man in the trailers, so we already knew what would happen when that scene came. Kind of a let down.   

I also love how they keep their superhero names as nicknames.
    Captain America is at most referred to as Captain, probably as a literal title.
    Iron Man is almost always referred to as "Stark," Thor is Thor, and they call Banner Hulk a few times, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,558 Posts
    Everyone needs to see this film, it's an epic 5 films in the making and holy balls it delivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    4,605 Posts
    Maybe it's cause I was so pissed at the lady texting the whole movie with her baby on her lap.
    Oh god, I know how you feel.

As I was watching, one lady kept on getting up and coming back, and sitting up higher in her seat than anyone else, almost as if she was trying to be annoying. The theater had reclining seats, but she decided to sit completely upright like a statue. The theater had goddamn reclining seats, but she didn't use that part at all, she didn't even sit normally (lying back against the seat and relaxing), instead sitting like she was attending a goddamn tea party.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

40. Post #40
    May 2011
    1,268 Posts
    Hey MPAA, Look! When you produce a movie that isn't absolute shit it sells well! Imagine that!

And yet they're still going to bitch about piracy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)