1. Post #1

MEXICO CITY The bodies of 23 people were found hanging from a bridge or decapitated and dumped near city hall Friday in the border city of Nuevo Laredo, where drug cartels are fighting a bloody and escalating turf war.
    Authorities found nine of the victims, including four women, hanging from an overpass leading to a main highway, said a Tamaulipas state official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to provide information on the case.
    Hours later, police found 14 human heads inside coolers outside city hall along with a threatening note. The 14 bodies were found in black plastic bags inside a car abandoned near an international bridge, the official said.
    The official didn't release the contents of the note, or give a motive for the killings. But the city across the border from Laredo, Texas has recently been torn by a renewed turf war between the Zetas cartel, a gang of former Mexican special-forces soldiers, and the powerful Sinaloa cartel, which has joined forces with the Gulf cartel, former allies of the Zetas.
    Local media published photos of the nine bloodied bodies, some with duct tape wrapped around their faces, hanging from the overpass along with a message threatening the Gulf cartel.
    Interior Secretary Alejandro Poire met with Tamaulipas Gov. Egidio Torre Cantu on Friday and agreed to send more federal forces to the state, according to a statement from Poire's office.
    Nuevo Laredo was the site of a 2003 dispute between the Sinaloa and Gulf cartels that set off a wave of violence that has left thousands dead and spread brutal violence across Mexico. That year, then-Gulf cartel leader Osiel Cardenas was arrested and accused drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, sensing weakness , tried to move in on Nuevo Laredo, unleashing a bloody battle.
    The city of tree-covered plazas and hacienda-style restaurants was transformed as the Zetas, then working as enforcers for the Gulf cartel, and Sinaloa cartel fighters waged battles with guns and grenades in broad daylight.
    Killings and police corruption became so brazen that then President Vicente Fox was forced to send in hundreds of troops and federal agents, and the only man brave enough to take the job of police chief was gunned down hours after he was sworn in.
    The Zetas won that fight and have since ruled the city with fear, threatening police, reporters and city officials and extorting money from businesses. They broke off their alliance with the Gulf cartel in 2010, worsening the violence across northeast Mexico.
    But last month, 14 mutilated bodies were found in a vehicle left in the city center. Some media outlets reported that the Sinaloa cartel took responsibility for those bodies and in a message allegedly signed by its leader, Guzman, said the group was now back in Nuevo Laredo "to clean" the city.
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05...#ixzz1u6fhJ9LU

The violence never ends
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 67Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    Mexico needs to get their shit together and really go after these guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 65 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,032 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 64Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,488 Posts
    If a criminal organization is waging gun battles in broad daylight and the president is forced to send in the army to stop it, you know there's a serious problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 37Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    August 2011
    410 Posts
    Hey, I live right across this city. Laredo, Texas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 12Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 56 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,374 Posts
    It's really sad to think that all this is going on just south of the border of the U.S. If this had happened just a few miles north the country would be in an uproar, but its somehow okay just a little farther away
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    Man I remember the "Mexican chainsaw execution" when they cut of a guy's head on video :(

I still haven't forgot it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 20Friendly Friendly x 11 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    Mexican government should just officially announce that they're not going to do anything about it.

Oh wait. They pretty much already have.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,367 Posts
    I'm not sure why no other countries have intervened here... they need the help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    1,015 Posts
    Man I remember the "Mexican chainsaw execution" when they cut of a guy's head on video :(

Oh god I have life long trauma because of that shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 28Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,325 Posts
    It's really sad to think that all this is going on just south of the border of the U.S. If this had happened just a few miles north the country would be in an uproar, but its somehow okay just a little farther away
    Out of sight, out of mind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,374 Posts
    The country would be in a uproar because that's where it would be happening. No one is saying its okay or even ignoring it, but there's only so much to be done when the people who are suppose to be stopping it do nothing because of corruption.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,453 Posts
    I'm not sure why no other countries have intervened here... they need the help.
    There's nothing you can do.

An invading force wouldn't do so well, the cartels know everything about the landscape so they're going to win any offensive battle.

And it's not in any countries interests to do so, even if they did the mexican government wouldn't like it as it'd make them look incompetent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Holy shit. It must be fucking horrifying to be a normal civilian over there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 42 (list)

16. Post #16
    June 2011
    8,812 Posts
    There's nothing you can do.

An invading force wouldn't do so well, the cartels know everything about the landscape so they're going to win any offensive battle.

And it's not in any countries interests to do so, even if they did the mexican government wouldn't like it as it'd make them look incompetent.
    The Mexican government already looks incompetent.

The Cartels aren't like guerrilla fighters in Afghanistan or Vietnam, they don't have the support of the native population and they're being attacked regularly by their country's military, if someone like the US intervened militarily we would probably crush them, the only things they have going for them is their knowledge of the land and supply of weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts

The Cartels aren't like guerrilla fighters in Afghanistan or Vietnam, they don't have the support of the native population and they're being attacked regularly by their country's military, if someone like the US intervened militarily we would probably crush them, the only things they have going for them is their knowledge of the land and supply of weapons.
    And don't forget apart from minor clashes between cartels, there really hasn't been any full on conflict between a cartel and a military force. Mexico has done jack-shit about the cartels apart from try and prosecute them in court (which isn't fucking working at all). If a trained military force marched in and started to show extreme force then I'm sure the cartels would be caught quite off guard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 30Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18

It might no be a guerillia war but as soon as the mobs lay down their weapons they become normal civilians. Thy don't have thug tattooed on their heads you know.(Well.. most of them don't..)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,374 Posts
    Mexico has done jack-shit about the cartels apart from try and prosecute them in court (which isn't fucking working at all).

Well if I remember correctly a while back they put up a couple signs on the US / Mexico border condemning the U.S for the lax gun laws that allowed weapons into the country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,629 Posts
    It might no be a guerillia war but as soon as the mobs lay down their weapons they become normal civilians. Thy don't have thug tattooed on their heads you know.(Well.. most of them don't..)
    The cartels have kinda moved beyond being just thugs. These are the people that are hacking peoples heads off with chainsaws.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

21. Post #21
    August 2008
    1,455 Posts
    man, i think spanish/mexican/colombian cartels in particular, are fucked, or gangs like ms13

22. Post #22
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,914 Posts
    i've seen plenty of awful things on the internet but for some reason i find that photo especially terrifying on a totally different level
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    I want to visit pretty much every country on earth someday but currently Mexico is an exception to that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 52Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,367 Posts
    I'm sure it has a lot to offer outwith the major cities. The cartels have no interest in the rest of the country.

25. Post #25
    January 2010
    9,902 Posts
    I have this feeling that Mexico has basically turned into a small war.

26. Post #26
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,453 Posts

The Mexican government isn't going to admit that they're incompetent though.

But no country is going to actually promote a intervention of the Mexican drug war, as that would be political suicide.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2011
    499 Posts
    man, i think spanish/mexican/colombian cartels in particular, are fucked, or gangs like ms13
    spain doesn't have things like this every month, well it's your average country
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,109 Posts
    It's times like these where I turn to the Bible for solitude.

But that's quite a sight to behold and extremely alarming to see in 2012. There's women up there, FUCK
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 35Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,393 Posts
    I don't really know much about what's going on in Mexico with the Cartels. Why haven't they been stopped yet? Are they stronger than the Mexican army now?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,788 Posts
    i've seen plenty of awful things on the internet but for some reason i find that photo especially terrifying on a totally different level
    Maybe it's more of a relateable setting, being a more modern area. That, and how uncanny it is to see corpses just hanging off a bridge.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,109 Posts
    I don't really know much about what's going on in Mexico with the Cartels. Why haven't they been stopped yet? Are they stronger than the Mexican army now?
    Corruption. There are cartel members in Mexico's armed forces and police forces as spies. So whatever action they plan to take, the cartels already have info before-hand.

Without societal, cultural and governmental change, Mexico will keep heading down this downward spiral. It's goes deeper than shooting some baddies in the head. There's also the US DEA....

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,310 Posts
    Holy shit, if this happened in the UK then people would go mental.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    892 Posts
    That is the most fucked up thing I have ever seen.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,435 Posts
    Corruption. There are cartel members in Mexico's armed forces and police forces as spies. So whatever action they plan to take, the cartels already have info before-hand.
    And they're still treating it as a criminal matter.

35. Post #35
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts

I just decided to look this up, never seen it. Never felt that bad for someone.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    710 Posts
    For fuck's sake. End the drug war.
    Nothing good has ever come of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    (Banned Depressed user.
    Dennab
    July 2010
    4,828 Posts
    Oh god I have life long trauma because of that shit
    I remember i watched it and i had to go to bed afterwards

Not a good night.

38. Post #38
    September 2008
    1,103 Posts
    I want to visit pretty much every country on earth someday but currently Mexico is an exception to that.
    It really isn't that bad if you stick to areas where tourists go. I went there 5 years ago it's just like any other spot in the Carribbean.

Of course once you go further inland all bets are off, but I really don't think it's THAT bad if you're just visiting.

Also have fun visiting North Korea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    For fuck's sake. End the drug war.
    Nothing good has ever come of it.
    cartels would still exist if all the dope nugs were legalised
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,017 Posts

Many cartel members (especially higher ups) are ex-military and have extensive training. They strike fear in the population to gain their cooperation. They use bribes to buy out the people that are sent to take them out. They have become more powerful than the government.

Edited:

cartels would still exist if all the dope nugs were legalised
    Yes, but it would still take away from their power. We have to start somewhere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)