1. Post #1
    A young research associate killed by a highly virulent strain of meningococcal disease is believed to have contracted the bacteria from the San Francisco lab where he was working on a vaccine against it, public health officials said on Thursday.

US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention experts are seeking to confirm what they already suspect: that Richard Din, 25, died Saturday in an unusual case of a scientist being fatally infected with an agent from his own laboratory.

Tom Skinner, a CDC spokesman in Atlanta, said it would test a biopsy sample from Din and a sample of the laboratory pathogen he was working with to create fingerprints for each.

"If the fingerprints match, you know it's highly likely he acquired the infection from working in the lab," he said.

"Someone getting sick and dying from the organism they're working with in the lab is exceedingly rare," he added.

Meanwhile, dozens of people, including relatives, close friends, medical personnel who treated Din and some of his co-workers at the research department of the San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center were being given antibiotics as a precaution.

Harry Lampiris, chief of infectious disease at the San Francisco VA, said it is likely Din died as a result of his work with Neisseria meningitidis, a strain of bacteria that causes meningococcal disease, which leads to meningitis and bloodstream infections.

"It's our responsibility to assume it's laboratory-associated until proven otherwise," he said.

Since the 1960s, vaccines have been available for some strains of meningococcal disease. But scientists in the San Francisco lab have spent more than 20 years trying unsuccessfully to develop a vaccine against serogroup B, the strain that killed Din.

"It's been like the Holy Grail to develop the vaccine against B," Lampiris said.

Din died of multiple organ failure caused by meningococcal infection and septic shock, said Eileen Shields, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco Department of Public Health. He died less than a day after becoming ill.

The disease can come on quickly with symptoms including high fever, headache, stiff neck, vomiting, rash, confusion and fatigue.

Lampiris said coworkers described Din, who began work at the lab in October, as "a very talented, hard-working and fastidious individual."

"He was a very bright person who was probably at the beginning of a long research career," he said.

Meningitis, an inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord, commonly strikes infants and college students living in dormitories, Lampiris said. He said Din had not had contact with either group.

About 1,000 Americans each year suffer from meningococcal disease, and an estimated 10 to 15% die from it, Skinner said. He could not say how many of the cases resulted from serogroup B.

The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health is investigating the circumstances of Din's death, along with its federal counterpart and the CDC, the city Public Health Department and the San Francisco VA.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...cteria-vaccine

What a selfless man. RIP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Friendly x 105Funny x 2Zing x 1Winner x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,785 Posts
    This is one of the ways that apocalypse-by-disease movies (like Contagion, or the British series Survivors) begins.

Actually, now that I think on it, I don't think I've heard of an ABD movie starting like this.

Why is this? This is like cut-and-dry, easy-to-explain material for just such a film.

On-Topic:

It's really unfortunate to hear of this. To be honest, I've never heard of this before, so it must be exceedingly rare, so much more than the small amount of emphasis the article puts on this. My condolences to his family, and here's hoping no one got it from him.

Sounds like a terrible way to go, too. Let's just hope his contributions (both intended and accidentally) go toward that vaccine he died for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    May 2011
    45 Posts
    SKINNER!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2010
    640 Posts
    that vaccine he died for.
    Call me insensitive, but it's annoying when people say "died for" when in reality, they died BECAUSE of the said act, in this case working with lethal bacteria. If someone died for something, it's implying he died knowingly for a certain cause, IE purposely self infecting to act as a sort of "human lab rat" which this person did not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    Call me insensitive, but it's annoying when people say "died for" when in reality, they died BECAUSE of the said act, in this case working with lethal bacteria. If someone died for something, it's implying he died knowingly for a certain cause, IE purposely self infecting to act as a sort of "human lab rat" which this person did not.
    It doesn't change the fact that working with such a dangerous bacteria carries an always present risk.

Something going wrong can doom a man, which in this case did doom a man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    It doesn't change the fact that working with such a dangerous bacteria carries an always present risk.

Something going wrong can doom a man, which in this case did doom a man.
    It still doesn't imply his death was honorable or sad because of that risk...

It's sad because he was young, bright, and working on a cure for it.

7. Post #7
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    This is one of the ways that apocalypse-by-disease movies (like Contagion, or the British series Survivors) begins.

Actually, now that I think on it, I don't think I've heard of an ABD movie starting like this.

Why is this? This is like cut-and-dry, easy-to-explain material for just such a film.
    That movie was so bad I practically left halfway through.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    THE TRUE SAN DIEGAN WARLORD
    Dennab
    June 2008
    2,932 Posts
    They should finish the vaccine

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,736 Posts

It Begins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2009
    2,577 Posts
    Oh shit we're all gonna die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    4,227 Posts
    Imagine this happening with that mutated bird-flu virus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    Oh shit we're all gonna die.
    I will feel safe with your avatar around.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    the CDC scares me

imagine the shit they have in those places
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    Blue Member
    July 2010
    2,766 Posts
    the CDC scares me

I'd imagine they'd have quite the literal shit you speak of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,736 Posts
    the CDC scares me

Don't worry it will turn the air into explosives and it will all go away

They have shit in there that if it managed to get out, it's pretty much GG for the local area and anywhere else it infects.
    no because air explodes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    the CDC scares me

They have shit in there that if it managed to get out, it's pretty much GG for the local area and anywhere else it infects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    The good thing is that the most deadly pathogens that aren't engineered to be deadly aren't actually that infectious (obviously they have pathogens there that can murder a city, but why would someone make a vaccine against that?). Think ebola, which can kill you before you show symptomsm, which means you'll die before you can infect anyone. (Helps that ebola is waterborne exclusively, but still)

18. Post #18
    August 2008
    1,455 Posts
    i feel bad, but this guy is a scientist\researcher and should've known to be safer/

The disease can come on quickly with symptoms including high fever, headache, stiff neck, vomiting, rash, confusion and fatigue.
    yup zombies

19. Post #19
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    brb buying palettes of dry food and bottled water.

20. Post #20
    May 2011
    822 Posts
    Reminds me a bit of that movie called outbreak.

Must take alot of courage to work with such dangerous stuff, no mater how much precautions are taken, there is always a what if, like bomb disposal.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,736 Posts
    yup zombies
    Holy shit the coincidences are hilarious