1. Post #1
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,640 Posts
    A court in Germany has ruled that YouTube is responsible when its users post videos containing copyright music. On top of its existing ContentID systems, the court in Hamburg now wants YouTube to install additional keyword-based filters that detect when copyrighted material is uploaded.

The battle between YouTube and music rights group GEMA began in earnest when talks between the pair on the issue of royalties completely broke down in 2010. An earlier agreement with GEMA, which represents around 60,000 artists, had expired in 2009.
    Rather than come to the negotiated settlement preferred by YouTube, GEMA commenced legal proceedings on copyright grounds against the Google-owned video site. The action concerned 12 specific music videos uploaded by YouTube users to which GEMA owns the rights but for which YouTube paid no royalties. GEMA argued that YouTube hadn’t done enough to monitor content submitted to the site.
    Today a court in Hamburg ruled that YouTube is indeed responsible for the material its users upload to the site, despite the site having state-of-the-art filters which aim to detect and remove infringing content.
    Presiding Judge Heiner Steeneck said his ruling gave both sides a reason to declare victory. GEMA wanted YouTube to take responsibility for videos uploaded in the past as well as those uploaded in the future but that was denied.
    “YouTube isn’t the perpetrator here, it’s those people who illegally upload songs,” Steeneck said. “That’s why YouTube doesn’t have to search all videos uploaded in the past. It only has to help detect videos from the moment it is alerted about possible violations.”
    Although YouTube operates its ‘ContentID’ anti-piracy system which detects infringements by way of digital fingerprints, the court ruled that in isolation that is insufficient. In addition YouTube must now filter by keyword too.
    Both sides say they are considering their options and are yet to announce whether they will appeal the ruling.
    torrentfreak.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 41Dumb Dumb x 5Friendly Friendly x 3Late Late x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2012
    32 Posts
    Sorry, Germany, we don't have any fucks left to give.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 36 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,010 Posts
    With both Youtube and Sony long having taken issue with the way GEMA acts, I'm surprised there hasn't been (and would probably advocate) some variety of denial of service in Germany because of it.
    Grooveshark already did just that back in January.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    I'm ok with copyright laws.
    As long as they loosen them the fuck up.
    Short clips from movies, or background music should not be grounds to take down or sue. Putting up entire movies should be ground to take down and selling them for profit should be enough to sue. How it is now is just insanely stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 61Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    ha

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,885 Posts
    Short clips from movies, or background music should not be grounds to take down or sue. Putting up entire movies should be ground to take down and selling them for profit should be enough to sue. How it is now is just insanely stupid.
    What if there is a collaboration between a bunch of users who each upload a 2-5 minute clip of the movie and thus the whole movie is watchable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2008
    634 Posts
    Fuck sake, Accidentially rated mac338 disagree.

I Agree with what he said. I'm okay with Copyright laws but the way they are now is just mind blowingly backwards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

8. Post #8
    What if there is a collaboration between a bunch of users who each upload a 2-5 minute clip of the movie and thus the whole movie is watchable
    Hell I think that's okay. Why? Because most people'd rather pay then watch 50-80 two-minute-clips. I doubt that's many lost sales.

Edited:

If any.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,329 Posts
    ...And then suddenly YouTube is unavailable to German IP's.

10. Post #10
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,499 Posts

Mean awhile internet users are totally boycotting youtube for its copyright infringements

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro" - Orkel))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    September 2007
    3,189 Posts
    Wow, and I thought youtube was sucking the corporate dick of viacom, ea, and every other large corporation? I guess that just means large media corporations are more powerful than germany.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Wow, and I thought youtube was sucking the corporate dick of viacom, ea, and every other large corporation? I guess that just means large media corporations are more powerful than germany.
    Most media corporations are more powerful then America. "The fourth power" it's called. Murdoch's empire expands to 3/4ths of the global population.

13. Post #13
    July 2008
    3,463 Posts
    I take it Youtube would be taken to court if it doesn't implement this?

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    834 Posts
    The bad thing is: It's not only affecting people here in Germany.
    Artist from other countries complain about their videos being blocked in Germany for no reason.

More about the story: http://gigaom.com/europe/inside-yout...-court-defeat/

15. Post #15
    GOD FUCKING DAMNIT
    September 2005
    1,357 Posts
    Yeah, the same old shit over and over again.

But the funny thing is: the GEMA, one of the possibly most unnecessary things ever IMO, wants money for the view of videos. Meanwhile I want to ask - how the fuck do you suppose to increase sales and stuff when nobody is able to get at least a glimpse of the music?

I guess in the end Youtube will probably outlast the GEMA.

16. Post #16
    Chucklenuts.
    May 2010
    872 Posts
    One day, people will realise that no matter what they do, no matter how hard they try, people will still end up getting stuff they want for free. I mean, personally I'd prefer having kids download stuff online rather than hold up stores for free shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,422 Posts
    I would kind of get it if GEMA only blocked YT-vids with music uploaded by some YT-user. (some person using the music without permission of the copyright holder)
    But they also block videos uploaded by the musicians themselves. I'm talking official music videos uploaded by the musician or his record label.
    So according to GEMA not even the person who made the music has the right to upload his own music to YT unless he pays GEMA?

Fuck GEMA.

Edited:

I wonder how much Spotify has to pay to GEMA for the service to be available in Germany...

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    6,138 Posts
    Fucking GEMA blocks like a third to half the videos I wanna watch. :/ And of course they pretend to protect the creatives when really they're just after the court money. Disgusting. Almost like GEZ if that rings any bells for someone.

Feels so stupid to surf the internet with people all across the globe where people, as long as you can write in proper English, usually don't give a damn where you're coming from, but in order to treated as an equal by the sites as well you have to rely on proxies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,805 Posts
    Whats that? We're suddenly liable for videos uploaded by other users in your country?
    Okay, watch this.

*this video is no longer available in your region*

20. Post #20
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    4,481 Posts
    Almost like GEZ if that rings any bells for someone.
    Were those the ones who tried to sue Garry?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,422 Posts
    Were those the ones who tried to sue Garry?
    no that would be righthaven

this is GEZ

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,981 Posts
    Fuck sake, Accidentially rated mac338 disagree.
    You can re-rate, you know.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,033 Posts
    yeah I'm having a hard time getting mad about this. if they're going to enforce a law they may as well do it properly and efficiently

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,050 Posts
    youtube banned in germany

i can see it now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2011
    1,000 Posts
    Good bye Youtube.

Hi Dailymotion, MyVideo, etc...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,422 Posts
    youtube banned in germany

i can see it now
    no
    GEMA is not some Government organisation

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,326 Posts
    no
    GEMA is not some Government organisation
    He doesn't mean because the government said so, but to preemptively stop lawsuits.

28. Post #28
    November 2008
    1,259 Posts
    Gema is truly outrageous truly truly truly outrageous.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,422 Posts
    He doesn't mean because the government said so, but to preemptively stop lawsuits.
    Then YouTube still wouldn't be banned in Germany. It would just be unavailable or at most blocked.
    It wouldn't be illegal to access YouTube in Germany.

Nothing a proxy couldn't solve. Just like the blocked video problem.

30. Post #30
    November 2011
    10,659 Posts
    NO FUCK YOU

See this shit? See this? Every german knows what I am talking about. Fuck the GEMA. I can't view like 80% of the videos that get posted on american sites because of that. Everybody hates the GEMA http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/gema.de why do they still exist?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,422 Posts
    I can't view like 80% of the videos that get posted on american sites because of that.
    Start using this browser addon then:
    https://proxtube.com/index.php

32. Post #32
    Gold Member

December 2006
    2,632 Posts
    Gema is truly outrageous truly truly truly outrageous.
    Hahah, obscure references ahoy!

33. Post #33
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,161 Posts
    piracy is as bad as going into a shop and shooting someone in the face for money
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    September 2007
    3,189 Posts
    Piracy is as bad as killing people and selling their organs to underground collectors and then burning the money because you didn't need it anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,161 Posts
    Piracy is as bad as killing people and selling their organs to underground collectors and then burning the money because you didn't need it anyway.
    i dunno id say piracy is worse cause at least by burning the money youre stimulating the economy