1. Post #1
    April 2011
    5 Posts
    Hey, hopefully this is the right place to ask.

I am going into community college, and for the first time I feel like I need a personal computer. I have never owned any sort of computer before and have no idea what I should be looking for, what brands to stay away from, what is the best bang for my buck e.c.t...

I need something durable and above all else cheap. I plan on using it for writing and internet research so if there's anything specific needed for that it'll have to be included. Again, I know absolutely nothing about computers and am relying on you guys to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help.

2. Post #2
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    Don't get a:
    HP
    Acer
    Dell
    Get a:
    Lenovo
    certain decent Dells

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2010
    7,123 Posts
    Asus, MSI, Lenovo

Depends on what do you need from it.

4. Post #4
    November 2008
    957 Posts
    Macbook Air / Pro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Macbook Air / Pro
    what brands to stay away from, what is the best bang for my buck
    Spot the joke.

6. Post #6

January 2012
    99 Posts
    Get a Sager from XoticPC. They're awesome quality machines, excellent value, very high quality, not overly showy, most run really cool, and they let you change the thermal compound and other stuff without voiding your warranty. I would not recommend Asus, from my experience they're generally cheap, run really hot, and are often annoyingly flashy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    ASUS is a good brand, though its major flaw is the amount of bloatware installed in your laptop.

Edited:

Macbook Air / Pro
    "Cheap"

8. Post #8
    July 2009
    3,633 Posts
    ASUS, but use Decrapifier.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,602 Posts
    Would rather just reinstall Windows from a clean disk, that way it'll get everything, even the stuff Decrapifier missed.

You can download the ISOs from Microsoft, don't use sites like TPB as those ISOs tend to contain either malware or activation cracks.

10. Post #10

January 2012
    99 Posts
    ASUS is a good brand, though its major flaw is the amount of bloatware installed in your laptop.

Edited:

"Cheap"

I disagree, many of their machines overheat or have other quality issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,602 Posts
    Source?

12. Post #12

January 2012
    99 Posts

Uh a friend owned one, its GPU ran at 100 - 105 C in Minecraft and it died after a year. No this was not an isolated issue, many of their notebooks run very very hot. Yes, I reapplied the thermal compound for him (which by the way voided his warranty, Sager lets you do it), I also cleaned out the heatsink. Also Sager offers better value, and they don't underclock their parts. Also there have been many complaints on some Asus gaming laptops of keyboards missing keystrokes, I can't personally verify that though. Asus is generally low quality from my experience, my friend also has one of their netbooks and it fell apart in a year ish. Sager is by far the best for enthusiasts. Asus is just cheap Alienware, in my humble opinion.

13. Post #13

January 2012
    25 Posts
    Uh a friend owned one, its GPU ran at 100 - 105 C in Minecraft and it died after a year. No this was not an isolated issue, many of their notebooks run very very hot. Yes, I reapplied the thermal compound for him (which by the way voided his warranty, Sager lets you do it), I also cleaned out the heatsink. Also Sager offers better value, and they don't underclock their parts. Also there have been many complaints on some Asus gaming laptops of keyboards missing keystrokes, I can't personally verify that though. Asus is generally low quality from my experience, my friend also has one of their netbooks and it fell apart in a year ish. Sager is by far the best for enthusiasts. Asus is just cheap Alienware, in my humble opinion.
    Sager builds pretty much all its laptops with Clevo chassis, which are some of the best out there for high end gaming notebooks. ASUS is known for cheap computers that provide excellent specs for a low price, but also overheat and fall apart quite quickly. I owned a high end 15 inch Sager laptop for a couple years, and it was one of the highest quality computers that I've ever come across. It ran extremely cool with new thermal compound, it was relatively quiet, and it remained in nearly the same condition that I bought it in when I finally sold it, unlike many laptops that slowly decay with use. It also cost much less than any other laptop with comparable specs at the time. I'd definitely recommend Sager over ASUS for real enthusiasts.

14. Post #14
    April 2011
    5 Posts
    First off, I appreciate the help.

And, while I can't say I'm not getting information, I'm getting a lot of jargon I don't understand too. I wasn't joking about this being my first computer, I'm basically illiterate when it comes to the inner workings of the computer, so all this debate about thermal compounds and ISO's is lost on me.

That being said I want to stress that I wont be playing any games on it, and as far as my understanding goes, the parts that allow it to run them is where the major cost comes from.

All I need it to do is be able to connect to the internet and allow me to write papers. I don't need or want anything flashy or expensive, nor could I afford that if I did.

If I could hook a typewriter up to the internet I would.

15. Post #15

January 2012
    99 Posts
    I'd still recommend Sager, they're quality, low profile, and inexpensive. I can give you some links if you'd like.

By the way, what roughly is your budget?

16. Post #16
    ADT
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,527 Posts
    I disagree, many of their machines overheat or have other quality issues.
    uuuh mine is an ASUS N53SV (that I got since September for 600€), and I never had a single problem with 'overheat' (37-44*C at idle, 70*C max while gaming) and 'quality issues' (I have broken a bit the audio jack output by accident, nothing major, but that's my entire and own fault)

The laptops that really have these kinds of issues are the HP ones, in my knowledge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,602 Posts
    uuuh mine is an ASUS N53SV (that I got since September), and I never had a single problem with 'overheat' (37-44*C at idle, 70*C max while gaming) and 'quality issues' (I have broken a bit the audio jack output by accident, but that's my entire and own fault)

The laptops that really have these kinds of issues are the HP ones, in my knowledge.
    Consumer HP laptops.

Anyways, OP, what's your budget and what size laptop are you after? Small netbook? 15"? 17"?

18. Post #18

January 2012
    99 Posts
    uuuh mine is an ASUS N53SV (that I got since September for 600€), and I never had a single problem with 'overheat' (37-44*C at idle, 70*C max while gaming) and 'quality issues' (I have broken a bit the audio jack output by accident, nothing major, but that's my entire and own fault)

Well it would certainly depend on the model. I would argue that Sager is better for enthusiasts (people who want to swap thermal paste, upgrade their CPU or GPU, etc). I agree, HP is awful, they were rated lowest in quality by some reviewer a while ago, I don't remember any details. Anyway, for this guy, I still think Sager is a good machine to go with. MSI is probably ok, but they're kind of plasticky and a lot of people don't like their keyboards.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    2,577 Posts
    I own a Sager 8130, couldn't recommend it more.

Solid machine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20

January 2012
    99 Posts
    I had an 8690, very good computer. Ran really nice and cool after I swapped thermal compound, had a nice look to it (even though it was really bulky), was very fast, had a good display. My only gripe was the keyboard wasn't great IMO, but a lot of people love Sager keyboards so don't let that turn you off them.

Here's a very solid Sager machine to look at. I would definitely recommend getting the 1080p display. This computer has the power to do anything you should need, and if you decide to play some games down the road or do anything else that requires a little GPU horsepower (and I wouldn't discount the possibility), it should do the job. Also XoticPC is an excellent notebook vender (see the store's reseller review page). When I had questions for them they responded really quickly, and they'll help you with computer problems long after you buy from them, instead of just making you work through Sager support.

First link is the main page, second is the customization. The Price is $700 - 750.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np3260-...es-p-4339.html
    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np3260-...wconfigure=yes

Note: I know you think you won't be gaming or using the machine for intense purposes, but you never know, you may become interested in editing film, or maybe your new friends play Minecraft or something and you want to play too, or maybe you record music through your computer via an external sound card, or your classes require use of 3D modeling software. All those tasks require a solid notebook, so I think it's a good idea to pay a little extra and get a good machine now, instead of finding out later that your current laptop can't do what you need it to do and needing to pay a lot to replace it. One other great thing about this machine is that you can upgrade the CPU, so if you really need a horsepower boost down the road, this computer can be upgraded without buying a new computer.

Tell me if this is what you're looking for, and if not, what about it you don't like.

21. Post #21

January 2012
    25 Posts
    I had an 8690, very good computer. Ran really nice and cool after I swapped thermal compound, had a nice look to it (even though it was really bulky), was very fast, had a good display. My only gripe was the keyboard wasn't great IMO, but a lot of people love Sager keyboards so don't let that turn you off them.

Here's a very solid Sager machine to look at. I would definitely recommend getting the 1080p display. This computer has the power to do anything you should need, and if you decide to play some games down the road or do anything else that requires a little GPU horsepower (and I wouldn't discount the possibility), it should do the job. Also XoticPC is an excellent notebook vender (see the store's reseller review page). When I had questions for them they responded really quickly, and they'll help you with computer problems long after you buy from them, instead of just making you work through Sager support.

First link is the main page, second is the customization.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np3260-...es-p-4339.html
    http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np3260-...wconfigure=yes
    This is a great looking machine, but if the OP isn't planning on gaming at all, then it's probably overkill. That said, good hardware is useful for all kinds of applications, so I would definitely recommend this PC if it's in the budget.