1. Post #1
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts

TrackMania 2: Canyon, the first game in the (episodic) TM2 pipeline developed by Nadeo.
    Features gameplay similar to that of previous trackmania games. The player can race on various tracks, with the ability to do stunts in various modes, including a championship and a cooperative mode.
    The track editor from previous games also returns, and nadeo has announced it will later includes a new ability to create customized track pieces.
    A new "ManiaScript" is included to help players add new features in the game (tracks, cars etc).
    TrackMania 2: Canyon is based all around one new environment for the series: Canyon, you can however change the desert canyon themes by using community based mods.
    GameOn states in their E3 2011 preview, that "Every corner and wall-ride in a track has to be tackled slightly differently, so an experienced player will be able to judge the speed and positioning of the car better and faster than a newer player. Be under no illusion however - Trackmania 2: Canyon is still going to be as frustrating as ever."

- Media -

- Where to buy? -
    You can buy for 19.99 ($32 USD) from Gamesplanet with either a card or PayPal: http://uk-maniaplanet.gamesplanet.co...nyon/home.html
    Or now buy it on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/228760/
    You can also pre-order Stadium on Steam (save 10%): http://store.steampowered.com/app/232910/

Did we mention Nations is still on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/11020/

- EU server ran by Reag/eddy-tt-/whatever -
    Join: [Linky]
    Music upload: [Linky]
    (Uploaded music needs to be either Ogg or MUX format, I also suggest boosting the volume of the songs by 3-5db so they are louder than in-game sounds by default)

- Facepunch Group login details -
    Login: fptm2
    Password: coldcakes

- The how the fuck do I make neat looking car skins section -
    Option A: Use the ingame editor like a peasant
    Option B: Use Photoshop like the glorious king you are

http://rocphotography.net/FTP/Template_CanyonCar.psd

One note to the .PSD, Remember to tone the giant gray square you see in your alpha channel down. At the 50% gray point, it'll make your car as reflective as a mirror.

Download the Canyon car model from here (download the template)

Then load the canyonbody.3ds in Photoshop. I think you need an extended version of it. It's only the body, but that's only what you need for most of the skinning really, you can move the camera around with the camera tool in the toolboxbar.
    To apply your skin to the model, follow these steps, also numbered in the picture
    1. Open the 3D window via Window -> 3D

2. Select N01_Default under sBody

3. Click the little icon next to the Diffuse bit, then select Load Texture.

After that you just browse to your texture and select it, this will apply it to the model. If you have both the template.psd open and the 3d model, if you make a change on the template, save it, then apply it to the model and you will instantly see the result. You can reload the same file by just applying it again to the model.
    - The how the fuck do I replace my car section -
    Option A: Vist ManiaPark and find one you like
    Option B: Model your own (not easy)
    Option C:

- Trackmaker extras -
    FP signs: [Linky] - Updated 28/12/12
    (Includes links to some useful arrow signs and the original PSD, to use these copy the url then when in skin mode on the trackmaker, select your sign and choose enter url, paste in the url and it will load the sign image)

- Locator files -
    Locators are simple txt files which contain the url to the content you want users to download, these can be car skins, track music, horns and much more
    As people keep asking.

HOW TO MAKE A LOCATOR FILE FOR DUMMIES.
    1. Close down TM2.
    2. Upload your skin zip, horn, music or whatever the fuck other custom content you have to a host which allows hot linking/direct download (none of this php handler shit, direct pure download to file. This site allows direct linking (Private host now) - Rapidshit doesn't).
    3. Go into the folder where said content is located and make a TXT file.
    4. Open TXT file and paste in the link then save the file.
    5. Rename the file to contentnamehere.contentextension.loc (YOU WILL BE CHANGING THE EXTENSION, ENABLE EXTENSION VIEW IF YOU CAN'T SEE THEM MORON).
    6. Load up TM2, go to your content then deselect it, after doing that reselect it and it should associate the loc file to it.
    7. Play online like nothings changed.

This skips using p2p, so no fucking with ports and its downloading from a dedicated host, not your shitty home internet at 42kb/s or some shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner x 5Artistic x 2Agree x 2Funny x 2Friendly x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,443 Posts
    look at that snazzy banner

kudos to whoever rendered that shot oh man oh man!

Edited:

and those SKINS!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,788 Posts
    Awesome OP.
    Would read again.

Psst.
    Get on my server (Or eddy-tt/reag/whoevers, but mine is bestest).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2010
    5,200 Posts
    Other thread locked? Ah yes it is.

Didn't go it very often but anyways has Nadeo made an announcement on when we can expect the next environment? I don't keep track of these things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

5. Post #5
    August 2008
    14,788 Posts
    I just noticed your sign repo sucks.
    Luckily I backed up a lot of the signs from the last thread.
    [Linky]

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,590 Posts
    Any reason why it's not on Steam? It'd be extremely profitable for them if they had just sold it on goddamn Steam. I like Trackmania and I would've bought it had it not been for that shitty credit card bull.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    July 2010
    5,200 Posts
    Any reason why it's not on Steam? It'd be extremely profitable for them if they had just sold it on goddamn Steam. I like Trackmania and I would've bought it had it not been for that shitty credit card bull.
    http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=440418 - They might put ManiaPlanet on Steam later. However they did also say that for them it was either 100% Steam or 0% Steam, and that they preferred to be independent (and give reasoning too, you should read the whole post).

But please, let's not argue about why Trackmania 2 should / should not be available on Steam or utilise Steamworks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2008
    14,788 Posts
    Hey guys.
    I made a new map.
    It's great.
    I'll put it up FPUS soon.
    Download is [Here]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    824 Posts
    So I finally got around to finishing something good for Trackmania:

With an actual download link this time. And for those wondering what ever happened to the Meat Boy car, I'm doing a complete texture rehaul for it, which is taking a little longer than expected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 26Winner Winner x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,480 Posts
    Hey guys, think i'll work on a new map today!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

11. Post #11
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    25,962 Posts
    Bought
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 9Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,312 Posts
    This was so much fun when everyone was playing it just after Canyon released. Is the server populated often still?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,540 Posts
    I loved it when it was released but figured i'd give the community some time to develop great tracks and shit

if the server's still fairly populated i'll stop by now actually

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,248 Posts
    I loved it when it was released but figured i'd give the community some time to develop great tracks and shit

if the server's still fairly populated i'll stop by now actually
    The FP server has quite a few terrible tracks (not that I could make anything better)
    It's a shame really because it would have been good to have some fun tracks
    But, then again, that was a while ago. Perhaps they've replaced them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts
    The FP server has quite a few terrible tracks (not that I could make anything better)
    It's a shame really because it would have been good to have some fun tracks
    But, then again, that was a while ago. Perhaps they've replaced them
    A lot have been replaced on both servers, the US one is updated a lot more often because Wingless has a thing for adding maps left right and centre.

16. Post #16
    August 2008
    14,788 Posts
    A lot have been replaced on both servers, the US one is updated a lot more often because Wingless has a thing for adding maps left right and centre.
    I make sure to add the shitty ones. I enjoy watching people suffer.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,480 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,974 Posts
    I think i'll get back into playing this now. I haven't played it in aaages.

Edited:

Heh, I still have my old car

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,774 Posts
    my favourite track before removed

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,248 Posts
    Thing is we don't necessarily need maps from FPers, no offence wingless, but there are much better mappers out there and much more interesting tracks....and no impossible tracks! (Maybe I was just shit )
    Anyway I'll pop by sometime and see what the current map set is like

21. Post #21
    Gum
    July 2011
    1,219 Posts
    We're resurrecting? Pinut, prepare your anus.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,480 Posts
    I think i'll get back into playing this now. I haven't played it in aaages.

Edited:

Heh, I still have my old car

Yay, Jackald vv

23. Post #23
    June 2008
    3,539 Posts
    I just remembered how badly I wanted this game. So I bought it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2009
    84 Posts
    Oh hey, new thread!

Guess it's time to repost mah cars.

Here's my two:

And here's the one I made for Peter (AKA that Canadian who beats all our times):
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb x 16Artistic x 4Optimistic x 2Funny x 2Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    September 2007
    604 Posts
    After seeing this thread I want to get back into this but the maniaplanet link is amazingly slow for me, are there any mirrors or do I need to leave my computer on for a few nights?

26. Post #26
    September 2009
    2,046 Posts
    I really should learn skinning someday. Does the template Daijitsu referred to also allows editing headlights ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,179 Posts
    I made a new map. It looked kind of boring at first but when I calculated shadows it became sexy (at least in the inside part).

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,443 Posts
    I really should learn skinning someday. Does the template Daijitsu referred to also allows editing headlights ?
    find a download of the original car with all of the skins, I'm not sure where that might be. For reference, I might suggest finding inacio's tron cars, they have all of the available skins edited so you can see what affects what.

For actual texture, you're going to want to look at the details set, which has the headlight pseudo reflections and all that. If you're looking for the actual glow, that will be in the Illum file, which follows the same layout as the details skin so if you don't know what's being illuminated just overlay details on top. The head light and tail light glows will be some squares of solid color off on the right if I recall correctly.

As a sidenote, I remember someone (videoG?) had edited their details in such a way that their name was a solid shadow hovering on the ground in front of their car. That was cool
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

29. Post #29
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,974 Posts
    Argh, I can't get this skin to fucking look right, it looks like an absolute piece of shit at the moment.

I dunno what to do though. The car just doesn't look right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,850 Posts

http://www.maniapark.com/ressource.php?id=760

Jetfighter, you know what you must do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,974 Posts
    Ah fuckit, I guess i'm not playing Trackmania after all because I can't make a car that looks halfway decent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts
    Ah fuckit, I guess i'm not playing Trackmania after all because I can't make a car that looks halfway decent.
    You were like this last time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,850 Posts
    Just download a cool car model like the Lada Rasta or Shelby Cobra and do solid color + racing stripes.
    It always works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,443 Posts
    so

looks completed, but the in-game shot looks like it was a completed photoshop skin, with several white squares plastered on top with the in-game to clear some area... but if you save a skin in-game it would update the thumbnail to reflect changes

were you using a base or is it glitching out or what

35. Post #35
    June 2010
    3,507 Posts
    Especially you on my track.

Hehehehehehehe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    4,179 Posts
    So, anyone want my track on the server? Who do I need to send it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

37. Post #37
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    26,443 Posts

I played this track on a random server earlier and kinda want to make a point about it

a good number of maps we've created are based on two things: speeding along straights, drifting around huge corners, and redboosters just before a tight dirt road curve

our servers are primarily extended sprinting maps (save for things like brake night, which I think follows what I'm getting at here), and the more challenging maps are challenging just to finish without hitting something just before the end at 1:40 in, not challenging in a sense of trying to.

I want our mapmaking people to play this map and get some ideas from it; it's very compact (but still allows for plenty of speed), has a number of pitfalls to accidentally fall through or run into (but you learn fast how to get around them either thanks to a minimal amount of well placed scenery/signs/track pieces), and so on. It uses different pieces of track cleverly and cleanly, utilizing open terrain as a track piece instead of just an open straightaway. I think the only part of it that bothers me is the really wide open ending area. It's a short track and a challenge more to get good times than it is just to complete before the server changes levels.

The cliffhanger maps are a great start to making more challenging maps that are clever as opposed to frustrating, I hope we get more stuff like that.

As for the sprint kinda tracks I mentioned, there's still a few good ones. I think Circuit of Swag is a great example of a well executed fast, wide drifting track, you can take the whole thing at full speed (minus the hairpin turn), and it's still insanely fun to keep plugging at it and improving your time second by second. The only problem I have with it is it isn't a circuit, haha.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    5,774 Posts
    redboosters just before a tight dirt road curve
    memories.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    August 2009
    4,246 Posts
    I have a dirty secret
    due to my lack of will to actually try and make a decent skin, I use a default skin.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    September 2009
    2,046 Posts
    The cliffhanger maps are a great start to making more challenging maps that are clever as opposed to frustrating, I hope we get more stuff like that.
    I don't really know what to think, everyone hated those maps, save a few exceptions, so I assumed it was no different from the kind of troll maps which have stuff like red booster and sharp corner. So perhaps it might be a good start but apparently it isn't balanced enough as of yet. I'd like people to be able to finish the circuits, at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events