1. Post #1
    April 2011
    2,635 Posts
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/future-i...210316301.html

In the Star Trek universe, the tricorder is a handheld device used by Kirk, Spock, and various red-shirted crew members to make detailed scans of unfamiliar planets and even less familiar life-forms. It can be used in sick bay to diagnose intergalactic patients, and in engineering to find which part of the warp core is missing.

One small device that can do all that must be total science-fiction, right? Well thanks to recent advances in x-ray technology, the tricorder might be much closer that you think.
    When many of us hear of X-rays, the first thing we think of is a visit to the doctor's office. We're led into a big room, covered with a lead apron while the intended area is shot with those powerful, yet invisible rays. Or perhaps we think of a trip to the airport, where X-rays are used to check baggage and passengers before boarding a plane. But aside from that, X-rays tend to be - literally - out of sight, out of mind.

But that may be changing. The scientists at Tribogenics have found some creative ways to advance a technology that doesn't seem to have evolved much in the past 130 years. CEO Dale Fox and Chief Scientist Dr. Carlos Camara are taking advantage of an amazing scientific phenomenon similar to what occurs when light energy is created as an adhesive is peeled (try it yourself with some Scotch tape in a dark closet). They are harnessing that energy to create usable and portable X-rays.

For us non-scientists out there the technology is quite complicated, but the implications are not. Since the X-ray source is small, that means devices can be made smaller as well. Contrast this with the big and bulky machines we're used to seeing. These new machines are portable enough to carry around in a pocket and focused enough to limit dangerous, unnecessary exposure. Simply put, the possibilities are endless. X-ray devices could soon be used to scan virtually anything.

It could suddenly be much easier to find a wall stud, diagnose a bone fracture in the battlefield or even detect the metallic composition in jewelry. From making everyday tasks easier to literally saving lives, this technology has tremendous potential.

The Tribogenics team says they're on the verge of making these possibilities become a reality. And if they do, they won't just be changing the way we think about X-rays, they might be changing the world too.
    Video in source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 13Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    So, they're making a portable X-Ray machine? Not quite a tricorder, but it's a nice step forward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    I JERK MY COCK UNTIL IT'S SORE TO MLP RULE 34
    July 2010
    3,884 Posts
    I hope there is a off switch, cause i heard it is constantly emmiting something...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    I hope there is a off switch, cause i heard it is constantly emmiting something...
    Did you even read the quoted text

5. Post #5
    March 2010
    421 Posts
    I hope it clicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    June 2008
    597 Posts
    The ability to look through clothes is coming closer than expected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    That's cool, but this seems closer in spirit to a tricorder to me. He even has the random unlabeled but completely functional display down pat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    9,187 Posts
    Wait, I can peel a piece of tape off in a dark closet and it emits light?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Wait, it's a machine that harnesses static electricity and can fit in your pocket

can we use this for other stuff?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,257 Posts
    I've only heard about it happening in a vacuum, but yeah, peeling scotch tape generates xray radiation and light.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    7,741 Posts
    Yeah I just did this as soon as I read it, it's kind of faint but if it's dark enough, you can see it

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    3,339 Posts
    http://mtlweb.mit.edu/researchgroups...Paper%2013.pdf

on a side note if anyone is interested MIT shrunk the geiger counter.