1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    A month ago to the day, SpaceX informed us all that it was aiming to launch its Dragon spacecraft skyward on April 30th, and rendezvous with the ISS a few days later. Now NASA's finally finished its flight readiness review and has given Elon Musk's capsule the green light to hit that launch window.
    Source (Engadget)
    MSNBC
    Forbes
    BBC
    National Geographic

Holy shit, I didn't realize that we were this close to private space travel HAPPENING. I've run out of words for how awesome this is. The date is set for April 30th. Mark your calendars, folks, if this works out, it'll be the most important development in space travel in recent history.

The capsule that will dock with the ISS:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 27Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    23,881 Posts
    I'm surprised private space flight is even going to be a thing.

I don't see any way they could possibly get profit from it, not with today's tech.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts

I don't see any way they could possibly get profit from it, not with today's tech.
    If space travel is made more affordable and reliable, then business will inevitably move to exploit it. In the long run, space has the potential to be (and likely will become) an incredibly lucrative source of business, if not the most.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    12,715 Posts

Satellites are becoming more common and companies need a way to get up there. SpaceX has developed a craft that can do it on the cheap. That's how. Elon also says he can get you to mars on $500,000 dollars which is ridiculously cheap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,056 Posts
    Satellites are becoming more common and companies need a way to get up there. SpaceX has developed a craft that can do it on the cheap. That's how. Elon also says he can get you to mars on $500,000 dollars which is ridiculously cheap.
    Jesus, is that how low Musk said he could get it?

6. Post #6
    OvB
    March 2007
    12,715 Posts
    Jesus, is that how low Musk said he could get it?
    He say's he can get you there, land, refuel, and get you back for that cost.
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-mars-for-500k
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

7. Post #7
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts

Which is the only reason the people on it right now are fucking loaded.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts
    It seems prohibitively expensive now, but hopefully within are lifetimes it will be possible for an average person to take a vacation on the moon, or even farther.

Also, thread music.

Hopefully will all get a chance to be rocket men soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    23,881 Posts
    Satellites. I completely forgot about satellites..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    830 Posts
    He say's he can get you there, land, refuel, and get you back for that cost.
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-mars-for-500k
    That's ridiculously cheap if you consider the fact that there are cars that cost 3 times that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2010
    104 Posts
    It seems prohibitively expensive now, but hopefully within are lifetimes it will be possible for an average person to take a vacation on the moon, or even farther.

Also, thread music.

Hopefully will all get a chance to be rocket men soon.
    Maybe not structures on the moon just yet in our lifetime in my opinion but no doubt will being in space become a thing a average Joe can do.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,788 Posts
    That's ridiculously cheap if you consider the fact that there are cars that cost 3 times that.
    Yeah but it's ridiculously expensive if you consider that probably 90% of the world's population won't make that much in a life time.

It's all relative, and saying it's "ridiculously cheap" compared to something that almost no one can afford is kinda silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    OvB
    March 2007
    12,715 Posts
    Yeah but it's ridiculously expensive if you consider that probably 90% of the world's population won't make that much in a life time.

It's all relative, and saying it's "ridiculously cheap" compared to something that almost no one can afford is kinda silly.
    The average person can't afford a lot of things. The point is that if a government or business wants something there, we can get there extremely cheap. There's no practical reason to send civilians to mars just yet anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    December 2009
    8,688 Posts
    Except being the first dude on another planet is pretty huge.
    Someone might pay a lot for that, they should have a bidding round :P

Edited:

Loads of rich people out there ya know.

15. Post #15
    August 2010
    1,025 Posts

I'm pretty sure if NASA did a Mars landing the cost would be in the tens of billions; if he really can get it that cheap then that's incredible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    December 2007
    1,628 Posts
    What makes me really skeptical about any of these guys really pushing the envelope in terms of the frontier that is space flight is something that Neil Degrasse Tyson brings up. That never, in the history of the human species, has private enterprise EVER spearheaded ventures into territories with high, unknown risks at such high cost. Investors simply can never justify it. Whereas, any time such things HAVE been accomplished, it was through government funding, one-hundred per cent.

The private sector, I've no doubt, may well do plenty of work into privatizing low-Earth orbit, which we've become comfortable with and in which investors would be more comfortable knowing most of the risks and costs.

But if you want a Moon base, or a Mars expedition, we need to get NASA back on its feet. It's gotta happen, or we're not going anywhere. NASA's current budget is 1/16th of 1 cent on the tax dollar. I think we can all stand to give them a touch more than that.