1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,053 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17724535

BBC News posted:
    The man who carried out bomb and gun attacks in Norway last year which left 77 people dead has pleaded not guilty at the start of his trial in Oslo.

Anders Behring Breivik attacked a youth camp organised by the governing Labour party on the island of Utoeya, after setting off a car bomb in the capital.

He told the court he "acknowledged" the acts committed, but said he did not accept criminal responsibility.

The prosecution earlier gave a detailed account of how each person was killed.

If the court decides he is criminally insane, he will be committed to psychiatric care; if he is judged to be mentally stable, he will be jailed.

In the latter case, he faces a sentence of 21 years, which could be extended to keep him behind bars for the rest of his life.

The 33-year-old Norwegian was found insane in one examination, while a second assessment made public last week found him mentally competent.

'Self-defence'

Dressed in a dark suit, Breivik smiled as he entered the courtroom and a guard removed his handcuffs. He then gave a closed-fist salute.

He later told the lead judge, Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen: "I do not recognise the Norwegian courts. You have received your mandate from political parties which support multiculturalism."

He also said he did not recognise the authority of Judge Arntzen, claiming she was friends with the sister of former Prime Minister and Labour party leader Gro Harlem Brundtland.

The judge noted the objections, which Breivik's lawyer said were not official, and said the defence could follow up on them in their opening arguments.

Breivik described his occupation as a "writer", currently working from prison.

Prosecutor Inga Bejer Engh read out the charges against him and gave an extensively detailed account of how each person was killed or injured in last year's attacks.

She said the attacks "created fear in the Norwegian population", adding: "The defendant has committed very serious crimes, on a scale which hasn't been experienced in our country in modern times."

Breivik showed no emotion, looking down at the table in front of him.

At the end of the indictment, he told the court: "I acknowledge the acts, but not criminal guilt - I claim I was doing it in self-defence."

Breivik has already confessed to the attacks on 22 July. In the car bombing outside government buildings in Oslo, eight people were killed and 209 wounded.

He killed 67 people and wounded 33 - most of them teenagers - in his shooting spree at the youth camp on Utoeya. A further two people died by falling or drowning.

At a court hearing in February, Breivik said his killing spree was "a preventative attack against state traitors", who were guilty of "ethnic cleansing" because they supported a multicultural society.

His lawyer has said his only regret is that "he did not go further".

"It is difficult to understand, but I am telling you this to prepare people for his testimony," Geir Lippestad told reporters before the trial.

Investigators have found no evidence to support Breivik's claims that he belonged to a secret "resistance" movement, the "Knights Templar", named after a military and religious order founded during the Crusades to fight the enemies of Christendom.

"In our opinion such a network does not exist," prosecutor Svein Holden told the court on Monday.

A 12-minute-long film about the evils of "multiculturalism" and "Islamic demographic warfare", which Breivik posted online on the day of the attacks, was shown in court before the trial was adjourned for lunch. As it concluded, he could be seen wiping tears from his eyes.

Later, previously unreleased surveillance footage of the Oslo bombing was shown.

Some of the survivors and relatives of those killed reportedly gasped after footage was played of Breivik's explosives-packed vehicle exploding, followed by scenes of panic as people fled and pieces of metal fell to the ground. But the defendant was impassive, and at times even smirked.

The court later adjourned for the day.

Parts of the trial will be shown on television, but the court will not allow Breivik's testimony or that of his witnesses to be broadcast. Breivik is scheduled to take the stand for about a week, starting on Tuesday.

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg in Oslo says that with Breivik not expected to express any remorse for his actions, his trial promises to be an ordeal for the families of those killed and for those who survived.

Jorid Nordmelan, a survivor of the Utoeya massacre, told the BBC she would be in court to hear Breivik testify.

"It's a historical date for Norwegians," she said. "We never had a trial like this, so we don't know what's going to happen.

"Prosecutors told me they were going to make the opening statements awful, so that people can just feel what he did right there."

Police have sealed off streets around the courtroom, which was specially built for the trial to accommodate more than 200 people. Glass partitions have been put up to separate the victims and their families from Breivik.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 30Friendly x 2Winner x 1Agree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,714 Posts
    In the latter case, he faces a sentence of 21 years, which could be extended to keep him behind bars for the rest of his life.
    Going to be pretty messed up if he only gets 21 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 26Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,902 Posts
    Oh yes, he totally killed 77 people(mostly young people/kids) in self defense, they were totally a major threat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,289 Posts
    being on the jury for that case must suck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

5. Post #5
    Garry doesn't deserve a penny of my money
    October 2008
    1,169 Posts
    I thought Norway didn't have life imprisonment, and had limits on how long someone can be in prison.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,596 Posts
    For the Nth time, that's the maximum jail sentence due to Norwegian constitution. After 21 years they can just give him 21 more years, and repeat ad infinitum.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 22Informative Informative x 5Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,053 Posts
    Oh for fucks sake, this again

The longest you can be sentenced in one go is 21 years, but after that 21 years they review it and decide whether you need to be held longer. It's highly unlikely that Breivik would ever be released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 20Late Late x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,983 Posts
    Hopefully he stays in jail for the rest of his life. People like him shouldn't even be kept alive to begin with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,902 Posts
    For the Nth time, that's the maximum jail sentence due to Norwegian constitution. After 21 years they can just give him 21 more years, and repeat ad infinitum.
    And Norway's citizens can pay taxes to keep the shitstain living in comfort, if kept in prison, dump a bucket of shit on him every day and make him clean it off with a terribly working faucet.

Rate me dumb because obviously he needs to be rehabilitated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 42Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2011
    5,046 Posts
    I thought Norway didn't have life imprisonment, and had limits on how long someone can be in prison.
    Its a 21 year max, at which the end of the case can be reviewed and extended an addition 7 years as many times as they see fit. Judging by his state of mind, it probably will always be extended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,053 Posts
    Hopefully he stays in jail for the rest of his life. People like him shouldn't even be kept alive to begin with.
    RIP this thread's original topic
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 27Late Late x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Don't lose your way
    February 2011
    6,251 Posts
    "oh no all these teenagers might grow up becoming politicians in the rivalling party that has a different view on immigration and oh no they are unarmed holy shit this calls for action"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I'd buy that for a dollar
    Dennab
    September 2008
    5,876 Posts
    And Norway's citizens can pay taxes to keep the shitstain living in comfort, if kept in prison, dump a bucket of shit on him every day and make him clean it off with a terribly working faucet.

Incoming dumbs for you because according to facepunch its good to keep monsters like this alive out of your own pocket.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Killing him reduces his suffering, he should be kept alive for as long as possible.

Besides killing him makes him a martyr and an icon for far right skin head douchebags.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    SK17a
    October 2010
    13,915 Posts
    Killing him reduces his suffering, he should be kept alive for as long as possible.

Besides killing him makes him a martyr and an icon for far right skin head douchebags.
    His suffering? He goes into the courtroom smiling, I don't think he's suffering, at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,309 Posts
    We don't stoop to that level, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 16Zing Zing x 3Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    Because you can easily see the people he shot shooting HIM while running right.

18. Post #18
    April 2007
    5,113 Posts
    His suffering? He goes into the courtroom smiling, I don't think he's suffering, at all.
    He will also be in relative comfort in his cozy norwegian cell. It's messed up, but Norway made their country work this way.

It's in cases like this however, that the system fails. Were he to be fully rehabilitated and released, he would be lynched in minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,309 Posts
    He will also be in relative comfort in his cozy norwegian cell. It's messed up, but Norway made their country work this way.

It's in cases like this however, that the system fails. Were he to be fully rehabilitated and released, he would be lynched in minutes.
    If he ever was to be released (which is extremely unlikely) he'll be given a completely new identity and moved to some remote location.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,084 Posts
    And this is the same guy who was declared sane a few days ago?

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,309 Posts
    Sane for trial.

22. Post #22
    September 2009
    1,349 Posts
    Not "sane" as in perfectly mentally healthy, just "not a fucking lunatic" or "does not have voices in his head telling him to do stuff". He has a clear mind, and having a skewered political spectrum does not make you insane.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    July 2010
    3,944 Posts
    Usually , I wouldn't agree with death sentence, but holy shit this guy shot unarmed people and mostly kids because of muslims living in Norway, and he is still proud of what he has done. This guy got no right to live.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2011
    160 Posts
    Gonna be interesting to see him explain himself tomorrow. He's apparently used a lot of time writing down an explanation and he got like 30 minutes to explain himself with what he's written down. And some additional time for general explaining.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,159 Posts
    It's messed up, but Norway made their country work this way.
    "Messed up"? It prevents crime and actually bothers to teach, something all too many unfortunates have learnt goes a lot further than twenty minutes in the showers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

26. Post #26
    Honestly who cares is he's happy or sad, as long as he's not a threat for society.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    Gonna be interesting to see him explain himself tomorrow. He's apparently used a lot of time writing down an explanation and he got like 30 minutes to explain himself with what he's written down. And some additional time for general explaining.
    I disagree, because I believe it will just be the same crud he's been spouting so far. Multi-culturalist conspiracy, muslims aiming to take over the country, nationalism of the sociopath-flavor, etc.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,307 Posts
    Yeah, Shooting the kids in the back as they were swimming away in fear. Totally self defense
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,378 Posts
    Its a ploy to purposely try to sound idiotic and stupid so he can be labelled as insane and be absolved of criminal guilt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2005
    1,397 Posts
    Its a ploy to purposely try to sound idiotic and stupid so he can be labelled as insane and be absolved of criminal guilt.
    But he doesn't want to be labelled as insane...

31. Post #31
    Starpluck? More like StarFUCK!!
    September 2008
    11,378 Posts
    But he doesn't want to be labelled as insane...
    He could be genuinely not wanting to be labelled insane, but it's also probable he's lying as well. I don't think Breivik is dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Bahrain Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    July 2005
    1,397 Posts
    But doesn't it make more sense for him to want to be classified as sane? Wasn't there something about his sentence being permanent if he is labelled insane, whereas it isn't if he is sane?

33. Post #33
    July 2011
    6,159 Posts
    During the trial the only time he showed emotion was when they played his own youtube video that called him a crusader and he cried.

Yeah he's fucking mental.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Oh no, what have I done!
    Dennab
    November 2007
    22,049 Posts
    "I was walking down to the store to get a pint of milk, when 90-something people jumped me in an alleyway! Luckily I had my conceal-carry assault rifle and bombs on me, or else I would have been killed!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,902 Posts
    We don't stoop to that level, sorry.
    How is that stooping to his level? Oh and I don't believe you are on the victims family members who has to hear that this fucker can possibly get out after 21 years, maybe he will,maybe he wont. it's still really screwed up. This isn't a debate over petty fucking morals, its justice for the families that lost their children. Try to put yourself in their shoes.

Rating me dumb wont make your opinion right either, in my opinion, he deserves death, it's not my decsion I know, but if he gets out i'm pretty sure a lot of angry people will be waiting for him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    He could be genuinely not wanting to be labelled insane, but it's also probable he's lying as well. I don't think Breivik is dumb.
    Dude, he's saying the exact same things he's been saying for years. Knock him for being a psychopath if you want, but he's nothing if not consistent in his ideology.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,159 Posts
    This isn't a debate over petty fucking morals, its justice for the families that lost their children.
    so is it about morals or not

I mean if morals determine what justice is then I think what counts as justice should have a whole lot to do with morality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,922 Posts
    Damn he looks awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    How is that stooping to his level? Oh and I don't believe you are on the victims family members who has to hear that this fucker can possibly get out after 21 years, maybe he will,maybe he wont. it's still really screwed up. This isn't a debate over petty fucking morals, its justice for the families that lost their children. Try to put yourself in their shoes.
    Oh please. Spare us your justice bullshit.

If the only way that the victims of his attack can be appeased is with more blood, then I have no sympathy for them. The man has been neutralized, that's all that matters.

Edited:

Damn he looks awesome.
    He looks like he's made of silicon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    June 2009
    1,896 Posts

Rating me dumb wont make your opinion right either, in my opinion, he deserves death.
    If I'm right Anders is a pretty devout Christian, and he believes he's done no wrong, so threatening him with the death penalty isn't going to faze him one bit if he believes he's going to heaven once he dies.