1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,924 Posts

Tim Cook spotted in Bellevue, setting off speculation for the visit

Reports are that Apple CEO Tim Cook was seen at Valve Corporation's headquarters in Bellevue, Washington. It is unknown what the visit pertained to, though a personal visit from the Apple CEO is somewhat significant in and of itself - this wasn't just a biz dev guy.

Since the launch of the App Store in early 2008, games have become a more important part of Apple's overall revenue stream. Apple's Game Center was a clear demonstration that the company takes games more seriously, and it is scheduled to release on Mac OS X Mountain Lion in Summer 2012.

Valve's Steam is something like a counterpart to the App Store, although its focus is purely on games and not general purpose apps. Steam has run on Macs since 2010.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative x 61Friendly x 4Winner x 3Funny x 3Disagree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,156 Posts
    oh shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 179Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    611 Posts
    Oh fuck!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 62Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,836 Posts
    WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 82Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Apple buys Valve. We're all doomed...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 93Agree Agree x 31Friendly Friendly x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    16,139 Posts
    Dear world: Please remember that Valve is a privately owned company and Gabe Newell owns 51% of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Winner x 169Agree x 20Informative x 3Friendly x 3Dumb x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Click here for instant Gumby.
    November 2010
    4,447 Posts
    Don't panic guys, if we're lucky, Perhaps Gabe was a bigger influence on Tim, and Tim will now lead a better company!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 79Optimistic Optimistic x 14 (list)

8. Post #8
    MBB

February 2012
    356 Posts
    Cue nerd rage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

9. Post #9
    PikachuX1000
    May 2008
    1,286 Posts
    Gabe... don't fuck everything up now. Turn your back and lock the door.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 53Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,871 Posts
    Hopefully Tim Cook is only there to ask Gabe Newell for advice on how to run a good company.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 166Zing x 40Funny x 16Optimistic x 5Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    5,447 Posts
    Gabe won't give into apple, Gabe cares for the customers while apple doesn't, and he'll probably feel like he'd be betraying us all if he let apple take them. He's a good man, he won't fall in to this.

Why the dumbs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 16Agree x 4Optimistic x 3Friendly x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Valve will give us some shit explaination like "we've always been at the forefront of game-design and customer relations and it is our pleasure to announce our assimilation into a company that loves good design just as much, but doesn't give a shit about the anonymous customer, much less its own peons. Gabe Newell himself is looking very much forward to dying of a stress-induced heart-attack and Kirk can't wait to write about an Apple computer named LISA, who just loves killing communist niggers."

FUCK!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 35Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,705 Posts
    When EA wanted to buy Valve, Gabe said in a very diplomatic way to "take your dirty money and go away", so I doubt Apple has any chance of acquiring Valve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 94Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    Her comes the mass amounts of bitching about apple...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 6Late Late x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    678 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 35Dumb Dumb x 8Winner Winner x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,871 Posts
    Maybe this has something to do with Valve's hardware plans thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 81Zing Zing x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,372 Posts
    Maybe they're just there to discuss Steam for Macs a bit more?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 68Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,264 Posts
    It's not like Gabe has that much to gain from selling Valve anyway; I think he has enough money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #19
    August 2010
    1,366 Posts
    Most likely, I doubt Apple would buy up Valve + for the fact that Gabe wouldnt allow it.

20. Post #20
    July 2009
    4,165 Posts
    The apple guy was just there to tell Gabe that Valve can't use rectangles in their console design.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 98Zing Zing x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    11,206 Posts
    usually it's easy to guess what might happen in these types of situations

but i seriously don't know what the fuck is going on right now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,591 Posts
    Boo hoo hoo hoo, an Apple guy is in the headquarters of my oh so beloved videogame developer, better start crying about it!

You REALLY expect some sort of tragedy to happen? Why the hell are you all crying about it like it's the end of the world?

Apple is suing VALVe over their patent on valves
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 18Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,070 Posts
    Hopefully Tim Cook is only there to ask Gabe Newell for advice on how to run a good company.
    "Hats."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 41Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,507 Posts
    Maybe they're just there to discuss Steam for Macs a bit more?
    Yeah, exactly what I though. People are really overreacting, apple buying valve seriously?

25. Post #25
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,871 Posts
    Boo hoo hoo hoo, an Apple guy is in the headquarters of my oh so beloved videogame developer, better start crying about it!

You REALLY expect some sort of tragedy to happen? Why the hell are you all crying about it like it's the end of the world?
    No fun allowed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

August 2007
    90 Posts
    Can we all calm down for a minute and ask ourselfs why the Apple CEO wants to visit valve?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    We Are No Idiots
    March 2010
    4,514 Posts
    Apple buys Valve. We're all doomed...
    Have to be a cold day in hell for that to happen. 1 Gabe isn't a idiot and 2 Valve is a privately owned company.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,156 Posts
    Can we all calm down for a minute and ask ourselfs why the Apple CEO wants to visit valve?
    apple patented selling software digitally so tim cook and his henchmen went to valve and broke gaben's legs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 30 (list)

29. Post #29
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,613 Posts
    because apple is going to buy valve, kill steam, and make us all install itunes to get our games!!!11111
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Funny Funny x 11 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2010
    2,396 Posts
    I don't know why everyone's worried, this is a good thing, Valve is privately owned, so no buy out, and one of the biggest complaints with Apple computers (one of, not the only) is lack of games, this might be a win-win, more business and sales for Valve and Apple, hell, if it even went off well enough, Apple would be smart to fund Valve, not buy out, but maybe sign a deal for software/games. So yeah, if anything, I'm excited to see how this turns out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,093 Posts
    usually it's easy to guess what might happen in these types of situations

but i seriously don't know what the fuck is going on right now
    Could be anything, more games on Mac, iOS games with steamworks, or Gabe just wanted a friendly chat with Tim. Searously guys calm down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,648 Posts
    Relax, Valve will never be bought out; they're too powerful and too rich to have to bend knee before another giant. It's probably just an exchange of ideas or something, maybe they're discussing how to make good gaming hardware.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    November 2007
    1,141 Posts
    I'm thinking apple knows their iOS devices aren't that great for actual games, and want Valve's advice on how to bring feature games to those devices proper controllers. And then Valve has the opportunity to make their own hardware for devices such as the iPad. I could imagine playing portal 2 on an iPad using a razor hydra controller for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    1,507 Posts
    Guys, I don't think you understand how serious this is. Valve studios is now contaminated.

We need to burn it down now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 24Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    I don't see a problem with this. Too many people have the tin foil hat on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Could be anything, more games on Mac, iOS games with steamworks, or Gabe just wanted a friendly chat with Tim. Searously guys calm down.
    All of those possibilities sound equally terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    Maybe he just wants them to incorporate Steam into the App Store or he'll sue them. Maybe he wants to claim Steam was Jobs' idea all along.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

38. Post #38
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,164 Posts
    and then all of a sudden everyone feels self entitlement to the way valve is run

39. Post #39
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,087 Posts
    If this is about the valve making hardware thing, and they're consulting to Apple that's not a bad thing. Apple isn't a great company in itself but they do make great standard products. If they didn't they wouldn't be as known as they are.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    712 Posts
    I'm actually happy about this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)