1. Post #1
    Half Life 2: Call of Duty meets Minecraft

February 2012
    14,009 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Funny Funny x 79Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,916 Posts
    wow just....wow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 39Zing Zing x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Heisenberg
    March 2005
    4,335 Posts
    I hate Activision just as much as the next guy. But this sounds like total bullshit patent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Agree Agree x 82Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,216 Posts
    i'll acquire patents, then 6 years later sue companies and get da money
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,746 Posts
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.

The Lawyers of Activision have awoken.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 34Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,523 Posts
    I despise Activision and Capitalist Demon-King Beelzebob more than the next man, but this patent trolling reeks of capitalist fascism strong enough to turn my contemptful gaze from the demon for long enough to condemn such vile patent-trolling and tell this so-called "Worlds Inc." to go eat it's own eyeballs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 19Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    TL:DR version?
    I did read it btw, but I didn't quite understand... They are sueing because their games have interaction systems from other companies?

I'm sorry, what? That kinda sounds like as if I patented talking and then sued everyone who ever spoke a word.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    23,746 Posts
    I despise Activision and Capitalist Demon-King Beelzebob more than the next man, but this patent trolling reeks of capitalist fascism strong enough to turn my contemptful gaze from the demon for long enough to condemn such vile patent-trolling and tell this so-called "Worlds Inc." to go eat it's own eyeballs.
    This is the most tastefully done criticism against both Activision and patent trolling I've ever seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    100% Homemade
    September 2007
    8,355 Posts
    But WoW has been around for years, CoD too.

Why are they complaining now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    1,373 Posts
    I did read it btw, but I didn't quite understand... They are sueing because their games have interaction systems from other companies?

I'm sorry, what? That kinda sounds like as if I patented talking and then sued everyone who ever spoke a word.
    at least the original duels of the planeswalkers is safe from this...due to having multiplayer but no chat system whatsoever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2010
    865 Posts
    wow. I hope they get told to fuck off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    January 2010
    3,938 Posts
    Perfect example of Patent trolls, patents that broad shouldn't be able to be held by a single company.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 30 (list)

13. Post #13
    Actually a cool guy
    June 2005
    3,020 Posts
    I really fucking hate it when people abuse patents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 30 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,966 Posts

They have a fairly broad patent on users interacting with one another inside of a fascimile world. Essentially what you find in every single MP game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,510 Posts

I guess you could say the TL;DR is... World inc ran out of money they got from NCsoft and now want more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    Oh hai there multi-player games... We got you a court summons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    this should never work, like, ever... this "interacting in a virtual space" has been happening for more than 15 years, how the fuck are you gonna be like "imma sue these guys now after theyve been doing it for many years"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    This is -- excuse me -- a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
    August 2008
    8,795 Posts
    Wait, what's the actual patent for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,828 Posts
    You've got to be kidding me. Jesus Christ I hate software patents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2007
    2,827 Posts
    Couldn't they sue like, everyone? All games take place in virtual worlds. Either way I can't wait for Blizzard to crush them with their pinky.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,847 Posts
    The patent covers a "system and method for enabling users to interact in a virtual space,"
    Uuuugh.....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2010
    3,938 Posts
    Not the biggest fan of Activision but i hope the Activision lawyers rapes the other company into the fucking ground, it's what they deserve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

23. Post #23
    Quite so, ol' chap.
    December 2011
    4,040 Posts
    I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't that cover about 75% of all games out there?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    April 2010
    2,354 Posts
    Isn't it illegal to wait until a company is massive, then sue them for a patent you knew they were violating?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    1,459 Posts
    wow just....wow
    World of Warcraft, just World of Warcraft?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 10Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    1,362 Posts
    Isn't it illegal to wait until a company is massive, then sue them for a patent you knew they were violating?
    I don't know if it is in U.S. law but in the law of the universe it is definitely fucking retarded
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    725 Posts
    Wow, these fuckers are back? Fun fact: They used to have their address on their website, but it was a residential address. Somebody didn't want us knowing they were being run out of Mom's basement.

Edit: oh look the address is still there.

11 Royal Road Brookline, MA 02445

Its right next to a nursing home.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 6Funny Funny x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,828 Posts
    I don't know if it is in U.S. law but in the law of the universe it is definitely fucking retarded
    I do believe that falls under "self-created emergency".

I heard the term come up during Bethesda's run against Interplay.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    3,580 Posts
    Brb, suing every business ever for violating my patent on 'goods and services'.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,292 Posts
    Havent there been a few patent trolls do stuff like this?

Pretty sure a few years back Worlds tried to sue Blizzard, SWG, Lineage etc because they supposedly infringed on a patent to have a chat service in an MMO, never went anywhere.

*EDIT*

This is the patent in question for this case: http://www.worlds.com/text/PatentNo2_7181690.pdf

Afaik it pretty much details things like chat, voice chat, movement etc.

31. Post #31
    November 2007
    1,152 Posts
    Oh shit we need money, let's use our extremely broad patent and sue the publishers of the most profitable games out there.

32. Post #32
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,022 Posts
    Yeah, the one time I don't hate Activision. They may be massively evil, but sometimes a greater evil appears that requires cooperation for elimination.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    3,419 Posts
    Then why haven't they sued Linden Labs of Second Life?

Or Team Fortress 2? That's a freaking virtual space. And users interact with each other by shooting each other.

Heck, they could sue Garry, and Notch also, assuming they do any interactions in America.

This is terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    249 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I spent 10$ and all i got was this lousy title.
    June 2008
    5,229 Posts
    That patent should never have been allowed to exist, it pretty much patents everything that happens in a game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

36. Post #36
    June 2007
    279 Posts
    So they have a patent on..... Multi-player?

Sounds like horseshit to me. Not that they probably have a outdated and terribly constructed patent but that they think they can really go up against Activision. Following that logic they should sue every company that has produced a game in in the last, well however many years they have had this thing which will not end well for this World Inc. group.

Edited:

But WoW has been around for years, CoD too.

Why are they complaining now?
    Because of the money they have and how much their franchises are worth/ generate.

37. Post #37
    August 2010
    4,074 Posts
    So they have a patent on..... Multi-player?

Sounds like horseshit to me. Not that they probably have a outdated and terribly constructed patent but that they think they can really go up against Activision. Following that logic they should sue every company that has produced a game in in the last, well however many years they have had this thing which will not end well for this World Inc. group.

Edited:

Because of the money they have and how much their franchises are worth/ generate.
    these people are probably just like "yo lets sue these guys and maybe theyll go 'fuck that' and settle it outside of court for some money"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    My friend bought me this title because its incredibly annoying.
    February 2010
    846 Posts
    Surely they cant win?

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    They have a fairly broad patent on users interacting with one another inside of a fascimile world. Essentially what you find in every single MP game.
    Thats like patenting grapes at the super market...

By that logic, they should also sue everyone else who uses this?

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,370 Posts
    Activision should file a complaint with the patent office for a broad patent that is similar to patenting fucking air. This is basic shit that is in EVERY Multi-player game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)