1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Mr Mutharika, 78, suffered a cardiac arrest on Thursday and state media said he was being treated in South Africa.Medical and government officials said on Friday that he was dead but there was no formal announcement, leading to fears of a power-struggle.
    A government official said on state radio that there would be 10 days of national mourning.
    "We are sad to announce that the President of Malawi, Bingu wa Mutharika, has died," Bright Msaka, secretary to the president and cabinet, said in a statement carried by state radio.
    "The Milpark Hospital in South Africa has also confirmed his death," Mr Msaka said. "There will be 10 days of national mourning, and the constitution will be adhered to in managing the transition."
    Continue reading the main story
    The delay in announcing Mr Mutharika's death had sparked speculation that Mr Mutharika's allies might try to prevent the vice-president from taking over, as stipulated by the constitution.
    At a news conference held within hours of the official confirmation of Mr Mutharika's death, Vice-President Joyce Banda also said the constitution would be followed, but she held back from saying directly if she would be taking over as interim president.
    "I don't think there's any way we can discuss who is caretaker and who is not," she said. "The constitution is prevailing right now."
    AFP news agency said the head of the army, the chief of the national police, the attorney general, and several cabinet ministers and MPs were standing near her as she spoke.
    "The paramount issue to be discussed at the cabinet meeting is on the funeral of the father of the nation," she said. "In the meantime, I call upon all Malawians to remain calm and to keep the peace during this time of bereavement."
    Vice-President Banda fell out with Mr Mutharika in 2010 over the succession and she was expelled from the ruling Democratic People's Party (DPP).
    The president's brother, Foreign Minister Peter Mutharika, was lined up to be the DPP's presidential candidate in the 2014 elections.
    Both the UK and the US have called on Malawi to respect the constitution.
    Mr Mutharika governed Malawi for eight years, but was recently accused of mismanaging the economy and becoming increasingly autocratic.
    He fell out last year with former colonial ruler Britain, which withdrew its direct aid, accusing the Malawian government of mishandling the economy and of failing to uphold human rights.
    Malawi is one of the poorest countries in the world, with an estimated 75% of the population living on less than $1 (60p) a day.
    The country has suffered shortages of fuel and foreign currency since the UK and other donors cancelled aid.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17643602

That was close

For a second there we could have lost Obama too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 10Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2010
    5,489 Posts
    Misleading title
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    might want to actually say which president because otherwise it's a really shitty title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,230 Posts
    Wow, extremely sensationalist to the maxxx

Specify which President so I don't skip a heartbeat or three.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2010
    2,482 Posts
    Rated funny because of the misleading title.

The story itself is very sad.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts
    im sure your extremely misleading title was a total mistake and not intentional at all

i forgive you OP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    im sure your extremely misleading title was a total mistake and not intentional at all

i forgive you OP
    Thank you

God damnit I have to find out how to edit the title aaaaaaaa

Edited:

There that was close

Edited:

But seriously, I hope the next president doesn't end up succumbing to the power struggle. Malawia is shaping up to be a real gem in Africa.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,219 Posts
    Ask gunfox or someone to change it for you :)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,167 Posts
    RIP sweet prince.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)