1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    12,122 Posts
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/03/st...oon-city-disc/

Whatever happened to Battlefront? Nobody really knows. Not even that scowling mystical turnip, Yoda. but Betagames claim to have found remnants of a Battlefront project in the form of images stashed away on the Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City disk. That seems like an odd place to leave some spare files, but Raccoon City developers, Slant Six were rumoured to have been working on the third game in the Battlefront series for a while. The files include a variety of pro-quality loading screens and some odd bits of texture work, including a hideous image of Luke Skywalker’s face stretched out on a 2D plane. Eeeugh.

Here are a few of the images, courtesy of Betagames, by way of the Battlefront 3 fansite. The next Battlefront is since rumoured to have moved from Slant Six to Spark Unlimited, who have responded coyly to VG247‘s inquiries saying that they are “working on a sequel for a well known sci-fi franchise,” adding that “all aspects must remain secret,” presumably out of fear of failing lord Vader for the last time.

Hopefully they’ll dig in and redouble their efforts, a big Battlefront game in a new engine would be rather welcome.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 187Funny Funny x 13Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    11,015 Posts
    Must contain excitement
    Must contain excitement
    Must contain excitement

Fuck it

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 66Funny Funny x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,988 Posts
    I have waited far too long for these.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    7,836 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 56Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,559 Posts
    Battlefront has been one of my favorite Star Wars games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 36Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    One sexy lumpy man
    August 2010
    1,457 Posts
    Holy fucking shit YES

7. Post #7
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    6,821 Posts
    Those maps looks awesome
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    2,437 Posts

Here's that one of Luke's face stretched out that the article mentioned. Noticed that the OP "mysteriously" left it out. Bwahaha.

Also, dat filename: Luke-Skywalkaaargh

Anyway, yes! This is exciting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 105Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2008
    1,128 Posts
    lets just hope it will be as great as the second one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,051 Posts
    YES

I spent countless hours playing Battlefront 2 with my friends, and never got tired of it. I've been waiting for this game for a LONG time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,024 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    2,639 Posts
    Holy shit it's actually coming.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Optimistic x 9Zing x 3Funny x 2Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    As excited as I am, I really do hope it is more like the first one in terms of control but has the content diversity of the second one. I felt like the first one functioned better as a shooter (both first-person and third-person).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2011
    1,893 Posts
    How the hell did those games get mixed up?

Either way, excited as hell for this game and that art used for the loading screens look amazing.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    9,847 Posts
    We've captured a command post

Reinstalling Battlefront 2 this is the best news ever. If they have in-game transitions between land and space I'll fucking cry tears of joy.

Edited:

How the hell did those games get mixed up?

Either way, excited as hell for this game and that art used for the loading screens look amazing.
    Read the article. It's more than likely some nice dev left the files in on purpose just to give us solid hope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    The King Of Zing
    September 2009
    14,733 Posts
    Aww man, please be announced at this E3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

17. Post #17
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    guys i have a question about Battlefront 3.
    how do i get this game in my hands instead of on the screen? who do i have to kill or kidnap to make this happen?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,847 Posts
    hot damn

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    21,514 Posts
    Score one for the Republic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 16Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    6,560 Posts
    guys i have a question about Battlefront 3.
    how do i get this game in my hands instead of on the screen? who do i have to kill or kidnap to make this happen?
    George Lucas. Kill
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    20,355 Posts
    George Lucas. Kill
    Dude, that's fucking terrible.
    Kidnap him, THEN kill him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    14,696 Posts
    Hope they'll expand the destroyable space ships feature from 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 25 (list)

23. Post #23
    October 2010
    11,645 Posts
    I really want to see this game, it's so exciting imagining Battlefront with today's hardware, though I am very worried that they'll change it to play more like modern shooters

I personally want to be able to choose between first and third person again, this time with better animations and less sloppy viewmodel work (case in point, the rocket launchers in B2) but without more popular additions in shooters these days like iron sights
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

24. Post #24
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    14,715 Posts
    Read it as "Battlefield 3" .. damnit. I was hoping for a Star Wars BF3 mod or DLC..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 21Disagree x 2Agree x 2Useful x 1Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,743 Posts
    It must be kind of nice for a fairly unknown developer to have the rights to Battlefront. If they do a good job, it's basically a free ticket to being a super well known and loved developer. Then again, if they do a sub-par job, it's a free ticket to being a disliked and bankrupt developer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    March 2010
    3,062 Posts
    And suddenly my childhood comes flying back. Good thing I bought Battlefront 2 on Steam at Christmas. It's time for nostalgia!

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    10,780 Posts
    some odd bits of texture work, including a hideous image of Luke Skywalker’s face stretched out on a 2D plane. Eeeugh.
    yes, gaming magazine, that is how textures work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    789 Posts
    I don't understand.. isn't that game it was found on made by Capcom?

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,743 Posts
    I don't understand.. isn't that game it was found on made by Capcom?
    No, it was made by a third party.

30. Post #30
    Oh man Battlefront 3 is coming, I wonder what the first image will be of! I bet it'll look spectacular!
    Oh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 32 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    6,559 Posts
    Read it as "Battlefield 3" .. damnit. I was hoping for a Star Wars BF3 mod or DLC..
    Battlefield 3 and mod tools don't go together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    November 2009
    1,449 Posts
    As excited as I am, I really do hope it is more like the first one in terms of control but has the content diversity of the second one. I felt like the first one functioned better as a shooter (both first-person and third-person).
    Well the second was more than just a shooter (jedi control) so a change in controls made sense.

33. Post #33
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,385 Posts
    Hope they'll expand the destroyable space ships feature from 2
    The space fights were the best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

34. Post #34
    May 2009
    1,501 Posts
    Shortly thereafter, a former Free Radical Design employee said some of the technology Free Radical developed for the game, specifically the contiguous game environment from planet surface into space, "is dying with us"
    Even if there was a Battlefront 3. I highly doubt we'll ever see most of the features Free Radical had in store.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,743 Posts
    Even if there was a Battlefront 3. I highly doubt we'll ever see most of the features Free Radical had in store.
    I don't really see how Free Radical could even say that. They're not overseeing the development of the game anymore, so saying "Yeah they're totally not doing that thing that we were gonna do." is kind of a huge assumption to make.

That being said, I would honestly be surprised if they DIDN'T do it, since there's huge fan hype and request for that specific feature above all others, so if they're keeping their ear to the ground and listening to feedback, they'll probably include it in some form.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    RG4
    November 2010
    2,889 Posts
    Fuck yes!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11 (list)

37. Post #37
    March 2012
    189 Posts
    This game best look nice and have ragdoll physics yo, I don't wanna see em pull a Halo 4 on us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    I never played the series other then a couple times at my friends, but Facepunchers seem really excited and happy so that makes me glad too, so great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    RG4
    November 2010
    2,889 Posts
    This game best look nice and have ragdoll physics yo, I don't wanna see em pull a Halo 4 on us.
    What?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    5,304 Posts
    I gave Luke's teeth back.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)