1. Post #1
    April 2012
    6 Posts
    "Old people make bad music. It doesn't sound good unless it's made by young people."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    looking rad, feeling sad
    April 2011
    4,406 Posts
    A friend of a friend, upon reading "Nero (DJ Set)" at a festival.

"Aww, it's not Nero, it's just a DJ playing their songs."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

3. Post #3
    Master Captain
    August 2010
    2,029 Posts
    "Deadmau5 is dubstep"

"Skrillex is da best omgomg"

I feel like shooting people like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 28Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    21,225 Posts
    Why did you make a fourth thread?
    The third thread is still there.

5. Post #5
    March 2011
    2,252 Posts
    "hahaha, you listen to that shit? What are you a faggot, Eminem is so much better hurrr"

I was listening to old Megadeth albums.
    People are stupid.

Yeah, realized that I qualify as one of those stupid people as I reread this after I had slept off my exhaustion and stupor, go ahead and rate dumb, I deserve it, but what I was getting at was people shoving their opinions everywhere and being overly rude about it, but when you do it to them, they get extremely offended and try to start fights and whatnot.

Or maybe I just talk to assholes, who knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    meow
    Dennab
    February 2012
    3,083 Posts
    "hahaha, you listen to that shit? What are you a faggot, Eminem is so much better hurrr"

People are stupid.
    His opinions are just as valid as yours you do realise.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts

People are stupid.
    Clearly he is a lesser man for disliking one genre of music for another.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    265 Posts
    "List some good music that isn't dubstep. None of that screamo shit either."
    "Wow, you listen to rock? You're so hardcore."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2010
    9,865 Posts
    Yes but he was being incredibly disrespectful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2011
    2,252 Posts
    Not what I'm getting at
    What I'm getting at, is that they complain about your preferred music genre, it's fine and all fun and games, but when you do the same to them, the flip shit and go hog wild.
    I hate when people do this.

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    767 Posts
    His opinions are just as valid as yours you do realise.
    Expressing opinion and calling someone a fag over music are two different things I think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

12. Post #12
    meow
    Dennab
    February 2012
    3,083 Posts
    Expressing opinion and calling someone a fag over music are two different things I think.
    Why be cut over such a pointless insult?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    Not really. People become overly stupid when it comes to musical opinions so someone calling someone else a fag for listening to a band is really just them saying "I don't like this band".

Edited:

Plus it usually comes from a person who's clueless about music so, why let it bother you?

Edited:

Not what I'm getting at
    What I'm getting at, is that they complain about your preferred music genre, it's fine and all fun and games, but when you do the same to them, the flip shit and go hog wild.
    I hate when people do this.
    I've said it before in this thread, just be secure in the knowledge that you're not as fucking stupid as them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #14

January 2012
    9 Posts
    "Skrillex is dubstep"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,719 Posts
    'Whats a Joy Division?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 12Dumb Dumb x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    DJK
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,764 Posts
    The third ones only on the 2nd page, you could've just bumped it instead of making a whole new one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    The third ones only on the 2nd page, you could've just bumped it instead of making a whole new one.
    wtf I thought this was the third one.

Yay for awareness!

18. Post #18
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,038 Posts
    'Whats a Joy Division?"
    oh no somebody doesn't know about an obscure post-punk band which disbanded 30 years ago
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 50Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    May 2010
    698 Posts
    "Nothing good came out of the 90's."

STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard in my life. Everything 90's was amazing. Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, The Nixons, I could go on and on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts

STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard in my life. Everything 90's was amazing. Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, The Nixons, I could go on and on.
    Dude, you forgot Fear Factory and Nirvana. (I say Nirvana because they were very late 80's, so they kinda count)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

In response to this, I hate people who say the 90's were the golden age of music and that all modern music is trash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,384 Posts
    Every decade has good and bad music, people are just too lazy to look for the good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 40 (list)

23. Post #23
    May 2010
    698 Posts
    hoodoo456 posted:
    Dude, you forgot Fear Factory and Nirvana. (I say Nirvana because they were very late 80's, so they kinda count)
    Don't know how I left out Nirvana. They can join :D. They were pretty good, but in my opinion they were just a little bit overrated. I could probably list six more bands that were amazing.

Edit: Ah, Godsmack.

Eluveitie posted:
    In response to this, I hate people who say the 90's were the golden age of music and that all modern music is trash.
    It might not be the "golden age", but it was pretty damn close to it. I know you probably weren't talking to me specifically, but I wasn't trying to imply that all modern music was trash.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    5,665 Posts
    this is true
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 14Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts
    Don't know how I left out Nirvana. They can join :D. They were pretty good, but in my opinion they were just a little bit overrated. I could probably list six more bands that were amazing.

Edit: Ah, Godsmack.

It might not be the "golden age", but it was pretty damn close to it. I know you probably weren't talking to me specifically, but I wasn't trying to imply that all modern music was trash.
    I know you weren't and no it wasn't pretty close to it. The diversity of music right now is much higher than it was 20 years ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    Everything 90's was amazing. Smashing Pumpkins, Sublime, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots.
    this is my submission for The Worst Thing You Have Heard Someone Say About Music
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 9 (list)

27. Post #27
    May 2010
    698 Posts
    You don't need diversity when almost all the music is already amazing. The 90's did have a lot of diversity, but it's not as diverse as it was today. Diversity isn't what makes a musical era successful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2009
    930 Posts
    Justin Bieber makes a musical era successful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,820 Posts
    You don't need diversity when almost all the music is already amazing. The 90's did have a lot of diversity, but it's not as diverse as it was today. Diversity isn't what makes a musical era successful.
    Music was always diverse. I don't think what you say is valid.

Unless you're talking about music evolving which it does. But don't think music doesn't go unnoticed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    May 2010
    698 Posts
    What?
    That's what I was saying, lol.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    looking rad, feeling sad
    April 2011
    4,406 Posts
    "Skrillex is dubstep"
    Skrillex IS dubstep, though.

Edited:

oh no somebody doesn't know about an obscure post-punk band which disbanded 30 years ago
    They're hardly obscure, to be fair.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    April 2010
    7,680 Posts
    "I never heard of that band, they must be bad"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

33. Post #33
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,908 Posts
    "If a song is longer than 4, MAYBE 5 minutes, it's too long and boring."

Not even joking, someone told me this when I was talking about Dream Theater and Rush. I was shocked at how many people agreed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    but Rush and Dream Theater's long songs are incredibly boring, that's not really a secret.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 24Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Premature Joculation
    April 2009
    7,908 Posts
    They were saying that any song over 5 minutes was too long, which is a bit odd. I don't know if everyone in my school has ADD or what.

36. Post #36
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    They were saying that any song over 5 minutes was too long, which is a bit odd. I don't know if everyone in my school has ADD or what.
    because human attention spans work that way. it's why movements in symphonies usually don't go far beyond 9 minutes, and within that there are significant developments and structural guidelines which tend to keep things interesting.

Pop music drops that down to a simple chorus, verse, and maybe bridge which is equivalent to how long single pieces have been historically.

37. Post #37
    June 2008
    4,666 Posts
    because human attention spans work that way. it's why movements in symphonies usually don't go far beyond 9 minutes, and within that there are significant developments and structural guidelines which tend to keep things interesting.

Pop music drops that down to a simple chorus, verse, and maybe bridge which is equivalent to how long single pieces have been historically.
    My attention span is completely different to yours.

I can listen to Rush's 2112 or Pink Floyd's Echoes/Shine on You Crazy Diamond without any sense of boredom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

38. Post #38
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    My attention span is completely different to yours.

I can listen to Rush's 2112 or Pink Floyd's Echoes/Shine on You Crazy Diamond without any sense of boredom.
    yeah and i can listen to Bitches Brew without getting bored too. still human attention spans differ and generally people don't like long tracks that meander and drift which prog certainly tends to do.

now if it was 20 minutes of pure non-stop melodic hooks and functionalism then it would really just be several songs squashed into one name.

39. Post #39
    meow
    Dennab
    February 2012
    3,083 Posts

Not even joking, someone told me this when I was talking about Dream Theater and Rush. I was shocked at how many people agreed.
    More than 5 minutes of the same motif can get overbearing. It's not a rule that it's too long and boring but it's plausible depending on what songs, and some bands to abuse it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,474 Posts

Maybe it's because Dream Theater has a lot of pointless wankery in their songs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)