1. Post #1
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts

Last thread's highlights, provided by amcfaggot:

THE PROGRAMMING KINGS:

So I've been working on porting the little bit of Froid 2 I did in C# with OpenTK to Unity. The advantages of this are less effort, less getting headaches of OpenGL weirdness, less slowness, and more fancy lighting effects:

(don't rate me programming king because this took literally 0 effort)

Edited:

I should've expected this.

...apparently editing posts gets rid of ratings
    Needs more ponies
    You asked for it.
    I will bring this into a separate thread soon - an aerospace programming thread, at least if there's some interest.

This is what was involved in the following stuff:
    - Wrote an aerospace simulator that simulates orbital flight and reentry (uses X-Plane for graphics, though extends it greatly)
    - VSFL Network - virtual spaceflight network, a kind of online network for simulating global spaceflight. This software syncs spacecraft state and does much more
    - Radio transmission simulation - the data sent from spacecraft is sent as a radiosignal, which is received by ground stations
    - Spacecraft has a 512x1 pixels CCD camera (virtual), which takes 512 pixels of grayscale data
    - Spacecraft encodes this data into a specific format and sends this binary stream to the antenna
    - Ground tracking stations receive this information, decode it, and if it's valid enough it goes into these pictures
    - They also decode telemetry arriving from the spacecraft...

*And then this post went on for another 3 pages*
    New version of my engine.

And this is what I've been working on the past month.
    That blue thing at the beginning is a loading screen: it's threaded so that's pretty neat (I know that the video is long but it was originally 10 minutes so I couldn't get it shorter than this without missing importart parts)

Also I have only shown 5 levels here: the game actually has 9.

Get it here: http://www.facepunch.com/threads/115...1#post34947177
    THE ARTISTIC PEOPLE:

big gay dicks
    Code:
    #define                               P 3.1415f
    #define                               B (4.f/P)
     #define C                          -4.f/(P*P)
     #define M(_)                      (_>0?_:-_)
      #define S(_)                  (B*_+C*_*M(_))
       #define F(_)                (_%50)/50.0f
         #define D                ((2*(2*5)))
           main(__,_){           char _____[] 
    	 = {64,48,79,      111,43,44,43
    	     ,111,79,48, 64}; unsigned 
    	       ___ = (int)( S((F(_)
                     -0.5f)*P*2)*(
                        D/2)+(D 
                     /2) );__%D==
                  (___+1)%D ?(putchar
                (_____[(int   )((((_-25)
             %50)/50.0f)        *11)]),1)
           :(__%D==(              D-___)%D
        )?(putchar                 (_____[(int
       )(((_%50)/                    50.0f)*11)
      ]),1):((__                       %D>= (___ 
      +1)%D&&                           __%D<=(D
      -___-1)%                          D)||(__%D
     <= (___)%                           D&&__%D>=
    (D-___)%                              D))&&_%4
    ==0 ? (                                putchar(
    '_') ,1                               ):(putchar
    (' '),1                               );(__%D==0
    )?(putchar                            ('\n'),_++
    ):1;__++;                            main(__,_);}
    compile and enjoy (it will reach a stack overflow after a few seconds, will fix that later)
    Tron-inspired circles again

Tron-inspired pseudorandom circle patterns.

THE WINNERS:

Got gamemode swapping working properly in GMod13! Just noticed a bug in the video but can't be bothered to reshoot it.

.gmf - General Model Format
    What a great way to end the highlights.

So Facepunch programmers, What Are You Working On?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Programming King Programming King x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Early content poster!

Injecting custom DLLs on Steam. This registers a chat command (/ban) that I can use to ban people from FP's chatroom by 64-bit SteamID, so I can ban them after they've left. It doesn't actually print the message to the chat or send it, the only reason you see "/ban me" there is because I detached the DLL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 17Programming King Programming King x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    6 player online Mari0, hardly working but still fun:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 11Funny Funny x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,468 Posts
    Nice OP maurice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I finally finished complete i18n support for my application. Grueling work. Anyway, on to unit tests.

The sad part is that I don't really feel I have time to work on it seeing as I seem to be running the Desura client now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    3,015 Posts
    Mmm, new thread smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Follow me on github!
    January 2009
    2,620 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

8. Post #8
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    13,095 Posts
    Me and a friend started to work on a game for our school project. Me being the novice I looked a bit into some simple mechanics and got this up. Notice my superior paint skills.

My friend works like crazy writing things I have no idea about(aka network, IO, UI etc). Here's his login screen that connects to our server.

I'd say it's quite good for two days of work
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 6Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2009
    1,977 Posts
    This post is controversial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Disagree Disagree x 14Agree Agree x 14Optimistic Optimistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    796 Posts
    Currently I'm writing a word generator for constructed languages.
    I'll post pictures when I'm done.
    This will have the same mechanics as the name generator, but with configuration and code commenting ()
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,830 Posts

So yeah, I'm still working on this. But now it's officially the project I will use for an exam this summer.
    The topic is the enemies AI. More specifically, making it lifelike (Attack when they see you, hear you, another enemy is informing of your presence).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    2,759 Posts
    Finished my particle project I was working on a few days ago:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

13. Post #13
    I gave ••••• enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,411 Posts
    Well fuck. I knew i wouldn't get into the highlights after all. I was *this* close to getting in.

Next month then :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

14. Post #14
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    Someday I will make it into the highlights.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Uruguay Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,003 Posts

Reposted because I was almost on the last page of the previous thread, but I also added item comparisons and removed the awesome Gorillaz music in the background because Dajoh didn't like it.

Recorded on my iPhone using DisplayRecorder. Any lag is from DisplayRecorder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    796 Posts
    Word Generator: Alpha!

Word Generator: Alpha! posted:
    Word Generator: Alpha!
    ezap
    alu
    azoy
    elow
    uzid
    ivem
    aza
    abir
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts

Functionality!

Edited:

Thanks to the test subjects at FP programmers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Zing Zing x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    612 Posts
    SNIP
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    796 Posts
    I already have a ton of projects I'm working on.

Calculating Pi!

Yes, it's a little broken. Heh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2011
    3,176 Posts
    I want to program :smith:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    DPRKFC
    March 2012
    796 Posts
    Learn C.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

22. Post #22
    Person
    June 2008
    5,652 Posts
    Then do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2011
    3,176 Posts
    whenever I start to learn something I can't see how it's relevant to making games. then I get frustrated and give up
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    whenever I start to learn something I can't see how it's relevant to making games. then I get frustrated and give up
    write something relevant to games? maybe some members would appreciate an introduction to games programming thread or something of the sort
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    207 Posts
    Why don't you just get your shit together? Or try Rob Miles "Introduction to Programming Through Game Development Using Microsoft XNA Game Studio, Rob Miles. Microsoft Press, 2009 ISBN 978-0735627130"

I don't like this way of learning, but if it helps you to then later understand the basics, then go the shit for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    312 Posts
    Try this.

I predict that I will receive... 24 dumbs for this suggestion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 40Agree Agree x 3Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    I might get into highlights in my lifetime... just I have to make a flashy demonstration of... oh wait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Hungary Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    832 Posts
    Try this.

Anything but GML please!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Programming King Programming King x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,466 Posts
    Try this.

LÖVE

way better than gamemaker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

30. Post #30
    June 2008
    485 Posts
    LÖVE

You cannot compare LÖVE and Game Maker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    I haven't posted any updates on my game here in a while, most of the stuff I've been working on with my friends are backend stuff, we've almost got networking done, purely UDP (complete with a dedicated server and an authentication server), we started working on a component-based entity system, and we're starting to process the terrain, currently only for AI navigation. As for graphics, I'm starting to work on fallbacks for systems that don't support OpenGL 3.3.

The most visible change so far, though, is my addition of font rendering. The game's written in C# and there are no good C# FreeType bindings (and GDI+ is windows-specific and doesn't provide enough information about glyphs to be able to pack a glyph sheet efficiently), so I wrote my own, gave it a catchy name, and released it under the MIT license. Now I'm using it in my game and since it's FreeType I have full unicode support in-game!

I was too lazy to set up a new projection matrix and shader for font rendering, so I just hacked it into the current 3d projection (the reason you see some slight aliasing artifacts is because I was probably a bit too close to it).

Edited:

ignore the phong shading on the terrain...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    That Dog
    March 2009
    13,427 Posts

It doesn't look like much but now there's collisions with my sideways map that I have yet to fix.
    Also I removed the required entity functions listing, it's now automatic.

Edited:

and I still have no idea where I'm going with this game, it was all just a concept to get modular entities working.

Edited:

oh and i just fixed the sideways map how about that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

33. Post #33
    gra

August 2011
    276 Posts
    hi
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Programming King x 37Dumb x 4Winner x 4Late x 2Informative x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    312 Posts
    LÖVE

I guess it is. Looks better. GM really took an ugly turn after YoYo bought it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    hello world
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 6Programming King Programming King x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    568 Posts
    I guess it is. Looks better. GM really took an ugly turn after YoYo bought it.
    I don't think so. I think YoYo is actually taking it in the right direction.

Porting to Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android and HTML5 makes it pretty impressive software. And the fact that they're trying to make GML compiled code is pretty impressive. Everything that people hate GM for is slowly starting to fade. If they clean up that god-awful GML it could be a really handy tool.

Also, why does everyone give this guy's useless posts positive ratings? I can understand the first few times when he said relevant things like "Hello world" but now he's not even trying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    gra

August 2011
    276 Posts
    Also, why does everyone give this guy's useless posts positive ratings? I can understand the first few times when he said relevant things like "Hello world" but now he's not even trying.
    lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Programming King x 49Funny x 4Winner x 3Late x 1Dumb x 1Agree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    312 Posts
    Porting to Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android and HTML5 makes it pretty impressive software. And the fact that they're trying to make GML compiled code is pretty impressive. Everything that people hate GM for is slowly starting to fade. If they clean up that god-awful GML it could be a really handy tool.
    That is true. The last year or so they've gotten a lot done. I guess I'm just a sucker for how everything actually *looks*; both in terms of their websites and their software.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    568 Posts
    That is true. The last year or so they've gotten a lot done. I guess I'm just a sucker for how everything actually *looks*; both in terms of their websites and their software.
    Yeah the design is terrible as shit. But then again, have you seen Visual Studio's new look? I don't like where this trend is going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    February 2008
    460 Posts
    Can someone explain what's so great about Lua? I haven't used it much and I'm wondering why everyone in this forum is always raving about it despite their being a lot of languages that look similar in function.

EDIT: I don't mean this as a stab at Lua, I'm genuinely curious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)