1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,715 Posts
    Sup Facepunch. My computer today started freezing up after boot. It loads the Desktop fine and dandy at first, but then one or two minutes after boot, while it's still warming up, it suddenly goes unresponsive. No movement on the cursor, no input, nothing. Not even Caps Lock lights up on the keyboard if I press it.

Well, I booted the thing in safe mode, looked at the event logs, and found something along the lines of "Computer Browser depends on Server service, which failed to boot because: it failed to boot lol." Source is Service Control Manager, event ID is 7001. Now, I've been google fu-ing since early afternoon, tried different stuff but found no definitive answer. Also, apparently a system resore could solve it- but I forgot to set up a system restore point earlier. I'm an idiot.

I also found a possible solution, which is sfc/scannow in the command prompt. It seemed to work, as in it scanned stuff, and told me it found a corrupted system file indeed- which it could not fix. Fuck.

I can give more info, but this is all I could write down right away. I beg you Facepunch, help me!

Edited:

Additionally, I just read somewhere that neither the Computer Browser or the Server services are needed for a desktop PC or something. Weird.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,833 Posts
    I'm not sure how to fix system files without the sfc /scannow thing unless you can find the exact files that are broken so you can replace them. Try a system restore to the earliest date

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,715 Posts
    Either system restore doesn't work in Safe Mode, or I forgot to set up a system restore point...