1. Post #1

February 2009
    123 Posts
    Hello, everyone!
    Here I am, again, sharing what I know so far in porting BF P4F's weapons, which is very little.

What you need:
    • 3ds Max 6, 7, 8 or 9;
    • PoE2 tools for 3ds Max: 6 to 8 here or 9 here;
    BFMeshView and its runtimes;
    • Photoshop or any other program that can open .dds textures;
    This folder.

Now, first thing you'll do is going to your BF P4F's installation folder, then to mods/main/Objects and then extract "Weapons_client.zip" and "Weapons_server.zip" to any folder you want;
    Then you'll launch BFMeshView and open any model you want, for example models\AR_416Carbine_Custom\Meshes\ar_416carbine_c ustom.bundledmesh. Now, in BFMeshView, just click File > Save As... and save it over "uslmg_m249.bundledmesh" (don't forget to unmark it as "read only"), which is in the folder I uploaded (uslmg_m249\meshes);
    Now open 3ds Max (I'm using 7), with the PoE2 tools installed, click BF2 > BF2 Utilities > Mesh Importer and import "uslmg_m249.con", which is in the folder I uploaded. The surfaces will have weird names, but no problem, just delete the other LODs that you don't want (do it through hierarchy, it's easier).

This is what you should have by now:

You see, the only missing step to make it a simple and automatable process is: moving parts are out of place.
    I don't know how to put them back in place without doing so manually. It can be a pain in the arsch to do it manually if you have a ton of weapons to port, so, here I am, hoping that someone who knows how to do that shows up.
    (*cough* Ilwrath *cough*)

Thanks!

NOTES:
    - Weapons sights are in a different folder, under "models" folder;
    - Attachments are also in a different folder under "models" folder;
    - Textures are in the respective weapon's folder.

2. Post #2
    September 2008
    796 Posts
    Ilwrath doesn't know how either. Also this is completely different than how I do it but I guess it works too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

February 2009
    123 Posts
    Do you have any idea on how to put the parts perfectly back in the spot? I also tried the alignment tool that someone recommended, but no success.

Edit: by the way, how do you do it, the overall porting?

4. Post #4
    January 2010
    123 Posts
    Anyone know how to get poe2 tools to work in Max 2012?

5. Post #5
    August 2009
    153 Posts
    I don't think its possible Supah_Sonic, and I've been thinking about these P4F models too, good that Naabjenia started again about this.

1) Now I've read a lot too and found out that the .con files in Objects/Handheld/weapons are basicly the tweak files that they use in BF2, except that they are missing some stuff like for example these:

ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m203_Fire1P
    ObjectTemplate.setPosition -0.00420591/0.0486487/0.596709

which, if I'm correct, places the parts (magazine etc...) to the correct place.
    But still, adding these to the tweak files would be like doing it manually cause we don't know the coordinates.

2) So I was thinking, is there a way to use the animations of the BF2 weapons to use them on the weapons (for alignment)? Or will it be messed up?

3) And the last thing I was thinking about if someone could make a tool that actually plays the animation of the weapon and that you could freeze it and export it, but I think Naabjenia has already mentioned this in his other attempt.

And if I'm right, these people might have done it (or they did it manually) like : Striker105, clivewil, GlebCLOSE.
    Or they just know a bit more then we do cause they (especialy GlebCLOSE) has some examples that he has them working ingame. http://www.youtube.com/user/GlebCLOSE/videos

6. Post #6
    September 2008
    796 Posts
    This is my way.
    Load up BFMeshViewer
    Open the bundledmesh
    Save it as a BF2 bundledmesh
    Import that into ZModeler 2
    Remove every LOD except 0
    Export as obj or 3ds
    Import into MAX12 and reposition everything

7. Post #7

February 2009
    123 Posts
    I was thinking about loading the animations in BFMeshView and exporting the model when the parts are in place. But I'm not able to load the animations from P4F.

8. Post #8
    August 2009
    153 Posts
    I just had an amazing idea !

If you could rip the models to 3DSmax with something like 3D Ripper DX, center the weapon & put the ported one next to it, then select the ripped mag and check its coordinates, then use the exact coordinates on the ported one, might this not be perfect to align it?

9. Post #9
    September 2008
    796 Posts
    I just had an amazing idea !

If you could rip the models to 3DSmax with something like 3D Ripper DX, center the weapon & put the ported one next to it, then select the ripped mag and check its coordinates, then use the exact coordinates on the ported one, might this not be perfect to align it?
    Or you can manually align it and save time.

10. Post #10

February 2009
    123 Posts
    Yeah... that would require a lot more time than just doing it manually, besides, you don't have access to all guns IN the game.
    I'm still looking for a quicker way, though, than doing it manually.