1. Post #1
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    5,159 Posts

--------------------------
    1/3 x 3 = 1
    1/3 = 0.333...

0.333.. x 3 = 0.9999999
    0.333... x 3 = 1/3 x 3

0.99999... = 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb x 122Late x 14Disagree x 5Funny x 4Informative x 3Agree x 2Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,431 Posts
    Oh god, not this shit again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 111Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,625 Posts
    Oh god, not this shit again.
    This one guy in my calc class is hellbent on proving this. I swear, I'm going to beat his ass soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 15Zing Zing x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    February 2011
    1,416 Posts
    0.333... x 3 = 1/3 x 3
    no
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 56Agree x 8Funny x 3Disagree x 2Artistic x 1Late x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2009
    2,119 Posts
    This one guy in my calc class is hellbent on proving this. I swear, I'm going to beat his ass soon.
    He's right though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 61 (list)

6. Post #6
    December 2009
    7,978 Posts
    What thi- oh, it's math.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    5,159 Posts
    0.333..... is the decimal representation of the fraction (1/3).

It's the same thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree x 56Disagree x 9Artistic x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,855 Posts
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,625 Posts
    He's right though.
    It's more the fact of how he goes about doing it - loudly and making a big fuss which pisses everyone off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    September 2009
    767 Posts
    I'm on Spring Break. Math is not real right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 60Agree x 11Disagree x 2Dumb x 1Winner x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

January 2005
    172 Posts
    lol. -0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    It's more the fact of how he goes about doing it - loudly and making a big fuss which pisses everyone off.
    Perhaps if your class doesn't actually understand then they deserve to be annoyed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,927 Posts
    How about this .99 repeating is .99 repeating if you want it to be, and if you want to round up, its 1, simple enough?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 12Dumb x 10Agree x 3Funny x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    May 2011
    2,968 Posts
    You're forcing me to post a photo off of 4chan.

I don't like you, Bradyns. I don't like you one bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative x 13Funny x 8Agree x 3Disagree x 3Dumb x 2Winner x 1Optimistic x 1Late x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,927 Posts
    Hell for all I care, .99 repeating can equal potato if you want it to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 47Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    On a side note, I like math, its too bad my teachers are trash and they only ruin my desire to do math, its so terrible. I wish I was better at math...but...I'm too bad of a student...oh well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Dancing Member
    July 2009
    2,748 Posts
    Math outside of school, in the weekend, no.

I know some of you are math heads and actually do this for fun, but jesus christ, it only makes massive shitstorms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    hellbent on proving this? It's already proven.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 34 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,918 Posts
    Mathematically 0.999... is equal to 1.
    You could always argue that it's a case of it being infinitely close to 1 to the point were the difference is completely negligible, but unless you somehow manage to prove it, you're wrong.

There is also the fact that it is equal to 1 according to mathematics at the moment and who the fuck knows how they might evolve in the future, but again you'll be the one needing to provide proof.

20. Post #20
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    2,671 Posts
    Isn't this common knowledge though? I thought everybody knew this.
    If you don't understand for some reason, here is a simple version of it:

.3... = 1/3
    .6... = 2/3
    .9... = 3/3 and 3/3 is the same as 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 14Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Winner x 1Late x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    I always thought it was obvious

if the nines went on forever it might as well be the next number
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    The good thing about maths is that when you see a proof, it's a fact.

23. Post #23
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    8,862 Posts
    But it is true.

24. Post #24
    September 2011
    689 Posts
    I always thought it was obvious

if the nines went on forever it might as well be the next number
    Might as well be the next number is different to equaling to each number.

i.e.

0.999... = 1
    where as 0.9999999999999999999999999 ≈ 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

25. Post #25
    March 2011
    3,418 Posts
    So. Can anyone explain to me the articles on surreal, superreal, hyperreal, and transfinite numbers?

26. Post #26
    this is some seriously stupid shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2010
    2,366 Posts
    OH GOD THAT LISP!!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    January 2008
    2,339 Posts
    I'm confused why people are rating the OP dumb.

Do they not like ViHart? Or do they not understand the concept and think its wrong? Or do they just think the concept is overdone and they realize that its true?

I thought it was pretty cool even though I am familiar with twin representations.

Explain please.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #29
    ToduboT George Carlin is the BEST
    April 2010
    615 Posts
    You're forcing me to post a photo off of 4chan.

I don't like you, Bradyns. I don't like you one bit.
    I fucking hate this equation bullshit:
    x = 0.999...
    10x = 9.999...
    10x - x = 9.999... - 0.999... (or 10x - 0.999... = 9.999 - 0.999)
    9x = 9
    x = 1

You have to be retarded to believe that. Seriously? Do you see the flaw?
    One of the biggest flaws: x = 0.999... ! SO WHY ARE YOU SOLVING FOR x?!

Ok, lets forget that big flaw.. If x = 0.999 step 3 would look like (9.999... = 9.999...) ; when we subtract x (0.999) it will be 9 = 9! GENIUS!

The other two are true.. Specially the blue one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 59Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    You have to be retarded to believe that. Seriously? Do you see the flaw?
    One of the biggest flaws: x = 0.999... ! SO WHY ARE YOU SOLVING FOR x?!
    I'm sorry, how is this a flaw?
    He declared an equation, then all he did was perform completely legal mathematical operations on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

31. Post #31
    I'm confused why people are rating the OP dumb.

Do they not like ViHart? Or do they not understand the concept and think its wrong? Or do they just think the concept is overdone and they realize that its true?

I thought it was pretty cool even though I am familiar with twin representations.

Explain please.
    I don't see how .99 repeating can possibly even exist anyways if it repeats 'infinity', thus it would instantly equals one

I don't see any point in trying to prove it doesn't either, .99... doesn't exist and can't unless it actually ends

Unless I'm somehow missing something?

32. Post #32
    Huge Faggot #2
    November 2007
    5,149 Posts
    her voice

that slight "crunching" of the s's and the sh's and the ch's

ughhhh

Edited:

pretty neat video though i like the drawings
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    I don't see how .99 repeating can possibly even exist anyways if it repeats 'infinity', thus it would instantly equals one

I don't see any point in trying to prove it doesn't either, .99... doesn't exist and can't unless it actually ends

Ugh, so you're saying .333... Doesn't exist?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    8,370 Posts
    -snip-

35. Post #35
    January 2008
    2,339 Posts

Well, that is the point. They're just different representations, 'twin representations', of the same number.

If I write the value 2.4999 (9 repeating), that is a valid and existent numerical representation. It represents the same value that 2.5 represents.

There are people who don't understand that. Some people think that 0.999... is somehow a separate, unique number that is infinitely close to 1, but not 1.

But there are numbers that are infinitely long (pi for example!) and there are even crazier numbers that we still use for real life applications. Vi briefly talks about these at the end: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-octonion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Ugh, so you're saying .333... Doesn't exist?
    I must be missing something

I meant .999 would instantly equate to 1 due to rounding, .333... is different I guess

Well, that is the point. They're just different representations, 'twin representations', of the same number.

There are people who don't understand that. Some people think that it somehow is a separate, unique number that is somehow infinitely close to 1, but not 1.

But there are numbers that are infinitely long (pi for example!) and there are even crazier numbers that we still use for real life applications. Vi briefly talks about these at the end: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-octonion

I don't even like/am good at math so what am I doing here trying to make a point

I just go with rounding to the nearest number, .33... as an actual fraction makes sense to me (1/3) and .99... wouldn't make sense to me

37. Post #37
    Huge Faggot #2
    November 2007
    5,149 Posts

think of it like this

3(1/3) = 1 = .333... + .333... + .333... = .999... = 1

Edited:

I must be missing something

I meant .999 would instantly equate to 1 due to rounding, .333... is different I guess
    it's not rounding, it's being

it's the same reason that 5 + 5 = 10. they are the same thing mathematically.

you're basically saying "why have the number 2 when we can just write it as the cube root of eight?"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

38. Post #38
    August 2009
    583 Posts
    0.3 repeating isn't 1/3. It's a decimal APPROXIMATION of 1/3 which means it isn't the exact value (of 1/3). 0.3333 to the infinity * 3 is not the same as 1/3 * 3. One is a multiplication using absolute values while the other is an approximation. They're two different numbers.

Either that or I'm just too stupid enough to understand why 0.9 repeating is the same as 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 7 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,951 Posts
    They're different numbers, it's just that one is only possible (to measure, at least) in theory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,506 Posts
    0.999... = 1 is true in the same way that 0.000... = 0.

It just doesn't look that way because your brain goes:

.9 =/= 1
    .99 =/= 1
    .999 =/= 1
    .9999 =/= 1

So it would intuitively follow that no matter how many nines you put, it will never equal 1. The problem is that when you put an infinite number of nines, it equals 1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)