1. Post #1
    Secure, Contain, Protect.
    October 2008
    7,965 Posts

[h2]Background:[/h2]
    During my time on FP, I've noticed that there's a pretty large group of members who are interested in, if not enthusiasts of, space exploration, travel, and science. Space is one of my passions, and I think it's about damn time that FP had a thread dedicated to talk of, and information about space.

[h2]FAQ:[/h2]
    Q: Why the shitfucking nippleballs should I care about space?

A: Well, what an eloquently formed and entirely understandable question!
    There are a number of reasons that you should care about space. It has the possibility to provide untold amounts of resources for the human race, is a great place to perform research and to develop new products, or to manufacture things that can't be easily built on Earth. It also provides a frontier for mankind to explore, even just here in our own solar system. Fields that feed into space science are also a large producer of jobs, with corporations like SpaceX, Bigelow Aerospace, Virgin Galactic, and of course the governmental space agencies providing dozens of manufacturing and engineering jobs. Not to mention research positions in fields like astronomy and astrophysics.

Q: When has anything useful come out of space?

A: Well, a lot of things, actually! Digital cameras, flat screens, advances in medicine and manufacturing, GPS, and much more!

Q: What's going on in space exploration and research today?

A: Well, NASA recently cancelled the Space Shuttle program, and that was a major hit to the industry. But recently the private sector, mainly in the form of SpaceX, has made huge advances in putting their products into space, and SpaceX is soon to be the first private company to ever dock with the ISS!

[h2]History:[/h2]
    A few key points that would be good to be aware of for discussion are:
    October 4, 1957 - Sputnik 1 is launched, becoming the world's first artificial satellite.
    November 3, 1957 - Sputnik 2 is launched, carrying the first living being, Laika the dog, into space.
    January 31, 1958 - Explorer 1 is launched, becoming the first American satellite.
    April 12, 1961 - Vostok 1 carries the first human into space, Yuri Gagarin.
    May 5, 1961 - Mercury 3 carries Alan Shepard into space, becoming the first American to orbit the Earth.
    December 21, 1968 - Apollo 8 launches, it will carry the first humans to leave Earth orbit and travel to the moon and back.
    July 16, 1969 - Apollo 11 is launched, landing the first humans on the Moon.
    April 12, 1981 - The Space Shuttle is launched for the first time.
    January 28, 1986 - Space Shuttle Challenger disintegrates during launch due to an O-ring failure on the right SRB.
    April 24, 1990 - The Hubble Space Telescope is launched into orbit aboard the orbiter Discovery.
    February 1, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia breaks apart during reentry into the atmosphere, with all hands lost.
    September 28, 2008 - SpaceX's Falcon 1 spacecraft makes it's first successful flight.
    June 4, 2010 - SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft aboard their Falcon 9 rocket becomes the first commercial spacecraft to make a complete orbit and reenter successfully.
    July 8, 2011 - The Space Shuttle Atlantis lifts off on STS-135, the final Shuttle mission to be flown.
    May 25, 2012 - SpaceX's Dragon spacecraft becomes the first commercial spacecraft to rendezvous and dock with the ISS.
    August 5/6, 2012 - NASA's Mars Science Laboratory and the Curiosity rover land on Mars.

A good timeline for the space race:

And of course, it wouldn't be a space thread without pretty images:
    Hubble Ultra Deep Field:

Boomerang Nebula (Coldest known place in the galaxy):

Crab Nebula:

Sombrero Galaxy:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 72Dumb x 3Funny x 2Late x 1Artistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2008
    190 Posts
    Space is pretty big.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Informative x 101Funny x 11Disagree x 8Useful x 3Agree x 3Late x 2Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Winner x 1Dumb x 1Artistic x 1Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2009
    6,187 Posts
    I'm actually studying aerospace, I've loved it ever since I was a child.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 31Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    October 2008
    7,965 Posts
    I'm actually studying aerospace, I've loved it ever since I was a child.
    I'm planning to double major in Aerospace Engineering and Physics/Astrophysics if it's possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 13Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,371 Posts
    Aerospace would be a pretty cool major.

Edited:

Anyone else disappointed that the shuttle program was shut down?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Dumb Dumb x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    I've waited a long time for this.
    Here, friends, is arguably one of the greatest things to ever grace the internet and reach my eye-ear holes:

^ My favorite

One of the greatest, most beautiful half hour things to exist.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 36Friendly x 3Agree x 1Dumb x 1Useful x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2008
    7,965 Posts
    aerospace would be a pretty cool major.

Edited:

Anyone else disappointed that the shuttle program was shut down?
    While it's a shame that it was shut down, I think it was time we moved on to more fruitful endeavors (no shuttle pun intended), but I do think they should have had their next program in mind as they cancelled the shuttle, rather than scrapping Constellation and now on to SLS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,371 Posts
    Also, my brethren the trekkie's banded together to get a shuttle named the enterprise, but it never made it into space, it was just used for tests. Disappointing, to say the least.

Edited:

You know what's cool?

Quasars.

Quasars are cool.

Edited:

What about space wallpapers?

It looks like This would be a cool one.

Image for those too lazy to click on the link:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    6,831 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb x 32Funny x 10Agree x 4Disagree x 2Winner x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,858 Posts
    Space is pretty big.
    Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen...

I've always had an interest in space but it's been growing lately. Particularly I'm interested in how to get around space at any sort of reasonable speed. Does anyone know of some books that deal with propulsion in depth?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2008
    7,965 Posts
    Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen...

I've always had an interest in space but it's been growing lately. Particularly I'm interested in how to get around space at any sort of reasonable speed. Does anyone know of some books that deal with propulsion in depth?
    I'd recommend reading something by Kaku, like Physics Of The Impossible, other than recommending reading up on things like the Alcubierre Drive or Antimatter Propulsion I can't really help.
    Wikipedia really is the final word on this stuff at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,137 Posts
    I like this thread. There was never a time when when a) I could think and b) space didn't fascinate me.

I suggest Astrophile on New Scientist for your weekly dose of weird astronomical objects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #13
    HUGE NERD
    November 2007
    6,304 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    3,371 Posts
    I'd recommend reading something by Kaku, like Physics Of The Impossible, other than recommending reading up on things like the Alcubierre Drive or Antimatter Propulsion I can't really help.
    Now that Alcubierre drive is just a fucking cool concept.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    7,137 Posts
    Oh, and one absolutely brilliant (and free!) piece of software for stargazing/amateur astronomy: Stellarium.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #16
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    Watch out, the spessmen are onto us!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2008
    7,965 Posts
    Another good site for space articles, and just generally cool science articles is Popular Science. vv

18. Post #18
    Best Poster
    July 2009
    19,096 Posts
    Oh hey! I've read that book my Kaku, he can really explain it to you in simple terms and tell you what you need to know as a prereq if you didn't know already

19. Post #19
    October 2008
    7,965 Posts
    I've been trying to get my hands on it for forever, but whenever I go to the bookstore, they've always JUST sold their last copy, and I'm too cheap to reserve one.

20. Post #20
    I never knew that most meteors are made up of solid iron.

Well the from what I've seen. Just Imagine a chunk of solid iron the size of a baseball hitting you at mach 25.

one second you're there the next you're dust.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    4,808 Posts
    I think you guys might really enjoy this.

http://en.spaceengine.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Useful Useful x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,231 Posts
    This seems to be an interesting demonstration of astronomical events.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,139 Posts
    I never studied Aerospace, but I've self-taught myself a lot of shit about space and orbits and shit, and space is absolutely fucking amazing and I can't wait to see SpaceX dock with the ISS.

Hopefully it will be successful, and SpaceX will keep on making history.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

24. Post #24
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,735 Posts
    Dude I have the most realistic simulator to prepare me for life on a Space Station it got everything man, clowns, toolboxes and even monkeys it's awesome bro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,139 Posts
    I made an illustration, inspired by the 60 Minutes interview with Elon here:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 39Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,735 Posts
    Smug bastard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,139 Posts
    Smug bastard
    I had to find the smuggest image I could.

If you've ever seen any interview with him though, he seems the least smug it's possible for any human to be, and he always seems really nervous when doing speeches and interviews, which is starting to become part of his character now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

28. Post #28
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts

Looks more like an elephant to me broskis.

Also fuck yeah space, it's weird as hell but holy fuck do I love space.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

29. Post #29
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,484 Posts
    LarparNar, give them your KSP Sagan quote submarine!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

30. Post #30
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,139 Posts
    LarparNar, give them your KSP Sagan quote submarine!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 5 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2009
    4,170 Posts
    I'm doing a project about space. It is very interesting.

Also: Space pictures (mars)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,139 Posts
    Space threads in Sensationalist Headlines are usually hilarious by the way, because there are so many people who don't understand how shit works, like the thread about the ISS going to be killed off in a few years by burning it up in the atmosphere, and some people asked why we didn't just give it a slight nudge which would apparently push it either straight into space or into the moon, because there's obviously no gravity in space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

34. Post #34
    October 2008
    7,965 Posts
    I'm thinking of posting daily or weekly space news in here, just to keep it lively.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 14 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    2,989 Posts

(Click for larger image)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    January 2009
    816 Posts
    I'm planning on studying physics/astrophysics when I get to university. Been interested in space since I was old enough to be interested in something. Also just going to share a handy-ish site which is pretty much a less fancy version of Stellarium if you get an account there.

http://www.heavens-above.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,231 Posts
    Space threads in Sensationalist Headlines are usually hilarious by the way, because there are so many people who don't understand how shit works, like the thread about the ISS going to be killed off in a few years by burning it up in the atmosphere, and some people asked why we didn't just give it a slight nudge which would apparently push it either straight into space or into the moon, because there's obviously no gravity in space
    Man, people keep saying that the iss should be refurbished into a moon base, but to get there it would require a crazy amount of fuel to change the orbital inclination to match the moons orbit, then you would have to preform a transfer orbit, and even if you do manage to pull both of those things off, you would still have to land 25'000 pounds on the lunar surface. Even if you just put it into lunar orbit you would have to have rockets to transfer the supplies to it. It's way to crazy to turn the iss into a moon base, in matter of fact building a base from scratch might be easier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    I'm thinking of posting daily or weekly space news in here, just to keep it lively.
    DO IT
    DO IT DAMNIT
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    I have a theory as to why SpaceX has so successful launches.
    They can't afford to fail like nasa would be able to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

40. Post #40
    We're made of star-stuff
    February 2009
    10,139 Posts
    I have a theory as to why SpaceX has so successful launches.
    They can't afford to fail like nasa would be able to.
    Actually SpaceX only has a 57.14% success rate at the moment.

They have launched 7 rockets and the first three failed.

Edited:

If the fourth had failed, they would probably not have been able to continue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)