1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,683 Posts
    Children in the UK prefer using Google to asking their parents or teachers when they have a question, a snapshot survey suggests.

Some 54% of the 500 children asked said Google and other search engines were their first port of call when seeking information, pushing parents into second place on 26%.

Only 3% would ask their teacher.

The survey for Birmingham Science City also suggests many pupils think their parents could not do their homework.

Some 34% thought their homework was beyond their parents.

The research suggests young people are more comfortable with digital sources information than traditional ones.

The majority, some 91%, of pupils used search engines, with almost half (47%) using them at least five times a day.

Almost half (45%) have never used printed encyclopaedia and almost a fifth have never used a dictionary.

Director of Birmingham Science City Dr Pam Waddell said: "With children now growing up in an environment where digital technology is accepted as standard, we wanted to see just how this has affected their approach to research and exploration.

"It's not surprising that with answers at the touch of the button, youngsters often Google questions before asking parents, friends or teachers."She added: "However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It shows just how commonplace digital technology is for children today and how comfortable they are with using it.

"Children, no matter what generation they grow up in, have an inquisitive and curious nature, and so the fact they are able to use new technology to explore this is a positive sign for the future."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17302710
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Agree Agree x 21Late Late x 15 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,371 Posts
    That's not really a bad thing. At least google doesn't bullshit you when it doesn't know the answer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 188Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    2,706 Posts
    Nine times out of ten my parents didn't know what the fuck my homework was about.

So yeah, why not just google it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 87 (list)

4. Post #4
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    That's not really a bad thing. At least google doesn't bullshit you when it doesn't know the answer.
    Uh... you should try googleing for Huygens, then misspell it as huegen and get hugemans.com as a suggested result.

Hint: it's NSFW   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Disagree Disagree x 3Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    Google knows more. Google doesn't give me an anecdote to accompany it. Google is faster.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 37 (list)

6. Post #6
    Just a Homestuck OC with a massive dick
    April 2011
    2,571 Posts
    Maths just fucks me over, so I have to use google because my parents are like "the fuck" a lot of the time as well. Also, I do my homework the night before it's due.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    ...so? Its just so much easier and more efficient to just google it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,835 Posts
    Google won't belittle you for asking either.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 65Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Well it's kinda given for me, since I'm the one in my family with the highest education.
    And I'm even only halfway done with it.
    Also the teachers tend to be dicks if you ask for help.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    November 2009
    6,600 Posts
    'What is this? This shit was fucking easy when I was your age, X, when I was in 6th grade I was doing this shit. Go study, go study and come back when you've finished so I can test you.'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply South Africa Show Events Agree Agree x 39Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    January 2011
    1,169 Posts
    Children can search almost everything on a metallic box over a digital encyclopaedia with a few presses of buttons

holy shit we are on the future guys, I tell you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Peru Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    July 2009
    2,150 Posts
    I'm afraid to ask my math teacher for help because she will usually give an answer that does not really answer my question, or she will be mad at me for not looking in my book and finding the answer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

13. Post #13
    Most of what you learn in school you forget after it if it isn't relevant to your career (according to my parents) so I see how google would be a more reliable source of information.
    And who would ask their teacher for help? It's homework.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

14. Post #14
    Sock the Foot Cloth
    Dennab
    November 2010
    1,952 Posts
    Good. There's nothing wrong with this at all, Google is better then asking people for help in almost every way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2011
    3,046 Posts
    A lot of parents don't even know how to help their kids with their homework. My cousin went to the school in the ~70's, and graduated high school without ever taking Algebra.

Nowadays, I took Algebra 1 in eighth grade.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Don't lose your way
    February 2011
    6,199 Posts
    "birds + bees - nature - insect + man + woman"

But in all seriousness, Google is your friend for a reason. I'm okay with this fact.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member

October 2008
    3,838 Posts

This is one of the reasons I use Google.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 24Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,343 Posts

Google is also great for unit conversion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

19. Post #19
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,491 Posts
    My parents have no GCSE's. I'm sure google would give me better answers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    Google is a better parent/teacher than most of the ones we have in today's society.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,039 Posts
    I know it's weird because it's only been around for 20 years, but I do often wonder how shit fucking worked before the internet

If you wanted to know something

... You just didn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 20Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    7,243 Posts

That's just a basic equation with some big numbers though, you could work that out easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,781 Posts
    Google doesn't give you shit about asking a question, and gives an answer instantly.

I don't blame the kids.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2007
    17,086 Posts
    my parents never knew stoichiometry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2009
    3,070 Posts
    My parents would rather want me to ask Google for homerwork than them.

26. Post #26
    I wasted a dollar on a stupid title.
    September 2007
    17,087 Posts
    That's just a basic equation with some big numbers though, you could work that out easily.
    Point

You
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2010
    1,144 Posts
    Nine times out of ten my parents didn't know what the fuck my homework was about.

So yeah, why not just google it?
    This.

I remember getting help from my mom for math once, and getting like 80% of the questions wrong.

It was all internet from that point on. Keep in mind this happened when I was in about 6th grade. I can't even imagine trying to get help with Stats or Calc without the internet.

Hell, I remember certain people asking teachers for help with subjects they didn't teach in. Even they were completely clueless.

28. Post #28
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    Hopefully, this will last millennia

29. Post #29
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,828 Posts
    I know it's weird because it's only been around for 20 years, but I do often wonder how shit fucking worked before the internet

... You just didn't
    So relevant it's eerie (more like it's a common question but whatever ):

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

November 2008
    10,947 Posts
    So relevant it's eerie (more like it's a common question but whatever ):

that's great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    PM ME FOR /TWO\ RUST KEYS!!
    April 2011
    5,826 Posts
    But what if my dad's name is Google, didn't think of that did you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    January 2010
    1,129 Posts

... You just didn't
    An encyclopaedia at your local library? I mean it's not as easy but it still works.

33. Post #33
    February 2011
    1,416 Posts

... You just didn't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    And even back then most people would just say " fuck that shit" and do something else.
    Imagine how people would reach if they were told to go to the library to get information of something they just though of today.
    Google made it easy to get information, but if you're not careful you'd get wrong or falsified information.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    ask me about my title
    August 2009
    2,760 Posts
    Google is making us dumber and smarter at the same time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,012 Posts
    I do the same since half the teachers at my school are complete and utter dumbshits and don't explain anything properly.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,039 Posts
    Yeah I'm going to go to the library, find the right book, and find the right page in the book just to see what the average size of a giraffe's cock is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    May 2010
    3,679 Posts
    Yeah I'm going to go to the library, find the right book, and find the right page in the book just to see what the average size of a giraffe's cock is
    It's 1/8th of the necks length.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 13Useful Useful x 5Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,859 Posts
    Judging by other equines, about human forearm size.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    October 2009
    9,424 Posts
    Then you get yelled at for using an unreliable source because anyone can put something on the internet, right or wrong, and blah, blah, blah, shut the fuck up, you are technologically illiterate. Now go Google shit to educate yourself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)