18 42.86%
  • No

24 57.14%
  1. Post #1
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    How You think?
    Wiki (that new one and/or maybe that old one) should be translate to other languages or not?
    If yes, what languages?
    Will it helps for foreign people? Or not?
    Post your pros and cons.

#Available Languages:

Russia - Co2
    Finnish - Uncle Bourbon
    French - James xX
    Polish - Krizzu, Frankess
    Spanish - DrJenkins
    Hebrew - Megolas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    January 2012
    280 Posts
    Pros: umm... more languages?
    Cons: Work.

3. Post #3
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    It would be only optional option - who want to translate to his language, translate it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,814 Posts
    Translated content will just be out of date all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    March 2010
    459 Posts
    Quite a big part of GMod speaks English, or atleast understands it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #6
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    Yes, but even if you understand English it's even hard to understand ALL and it's, in some way, little hard to learn lua, find functions and others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Dragon Dildoes
    Dennab
    April 2009
    4,432 Posts
    Its not worth it really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    Co2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    178 Posts
    I can help with translating the Wiki to Russian, if that's needed.

9. Post #9
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    I can help with translating the Wiki to Russian, if that's needed.
    See? Translating Wiki might raise community of FacePunch or Garry Mod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,344 Posts
    See? Translating Wiki might raise community of FacePunch or Garry Mod.
    Facepunch has no problems with getting new members, and with GMOD13 I'm sure there will be a rush of new players. I could help translate, but in my opinion, it's not really worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    pointblankrp
    October 2011
    869 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    Translate with it is kinda crappy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    November 2011
    4,754 Posts
    I could help translating to Finnish. Not sure if it's needed though.

14. Post #14
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,093 Posts
    I'll help translate it into French ( I'm currently living in France, and have done for the past 7 years )

15. Post #15
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    We have many propositions. Keep going and voting

16. Post #16
    November 2005
    511 Posts
    Like maurits150 said but... Only the lua section will be outdated because it's the only thing that is changed frequently. Other places, like how to setup server, or what types of tool we have in the vanila gmod. This things will stay unchanged for long time, like previously.

Krizzu, I can help you translating the wiki to Polish.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Dragon Dildoes
    Dennab
    April 2009
    4,432 Posts
    We would need people who would translate the everything, that would take about a full week at least.

You'll loose motivation after a few hours...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    We would need people who would translate the everything, that would take about a full week at least.

You'll loose motivation after a few hours...
    ^Your motivation now is to prove Wizard of Ass wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    November 2005
    511 Posts
    First of all we should wait until the Gmod 13 isn't finished. Until then we can't be 100% sure that the english content will not chnage. Another thing: google docs or transifex? Which one we should use?

20. Post #20
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    We should wait until GMod 13 release.
    As Frankess said, only section with LUA would be changed frequently. Rest is static.

21. Post #21
    Co2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    178 Posts
    only section with LUA would be changed frequently
    Well, not `that` frequently.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    157 Posts
    I can help with translation to Russian, but that's already enough garry's mod tutorials and other information in russian communities, for example,
    http://forums.playground.ru/half-life_2/
    http://www.playground.ru/dox/half-life_2/
    http://forum.csmania.ru/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30472
    etc...
    What about lua, show me at least one russian programmer who doesn't speak english well enough to read and understand manuals (or use google translate).

23. Post #23
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    What about lua, show me at least one russian programmer who doesn't speak english well enough to read and understand manuals (or use google translate).
    I can't, because if he doesn't know english well then he doesn't even know what we are talking about here, so he can't join our conversation, so I can't introduce him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Co2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    178 Posts
    My friendlist is filled with those
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ukraine Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Blue and Proud Of It.
    Dennab
    September 2011
    961 Posts
    I fuses I could do Spanish

26. Post #26
    August 2011
    118 Posts
    I can help translating it to Hebrew - i know many people (5) that want to lean lua but their English isn't great... Also - how would it hurt anyone? Just hosting space...

27. Post #27
    WHY WHEN WHY
    June 2011
    176 Posts
    Many people want to do it. Many people want to help.
    I'm wondering what would Garry say..

28. Post #28
    Can someone give me a dayz copy?
    April 2011
    1,228 Posts
    Quite a big part of GMod speaks English, or atleast understands it.
    Yah...you are right... i've forgotted 8524 users latin which plays garrysmod and wanna dev, and they can't because don't stand the english...like me (searh "Comunidad Garry's Mod - Taringa") and see what are i talking...

29. Post #29
    August 2010
    1,179 Posts
    All the Gmod Lua functions are in English. The main point of the wiki is to be a Lua reference. (atleast, thats all I have used it for)

Most of the people who read it know/are learning Lua; therefore, they must also be able to understand English function names to be able to use the wiki/Lua no matter what language it is translated into. The function names are the same no matter what language you speak, it would be rather pointless to translate the rest into a different language.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    August 2011
    118 Posts
    So you're saying if i don't know English (which I obviously do, I even script) - I can't script because i can't understand the functions names? Interesting...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Sorry about the downtime, now buy shit.
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    Plenty of tutorials exist on YouTube in other languages. Lua is English, so beyond tutorials translation would be just plain useless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2011
    118 Posts
    Plenty of tutorials exist on YouTube in other languages. Lua is English, so beyond tutorials translation would be just plain useless.
    False. First of all, GLua is different than Lua - there are many custom function which documentation is available in - how not - GMOD WIKI!
    Also, lets go search for a Hebrew tutorial, shall we?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    False. First of all, GLua is different than Lua - there are many custom function which documentation is available in - how not - GMOD WIKI!
    Also, lets go search for a Hebrew tutorial, shall we?
    Don't be an ass. "Oh let's find one of the least widely used languages and go and demand tutorials."

Hebrew - Israel / Palestine

English - 50 countries and multiple territories.

Spanish - 21 countries.

Russian - At least 14 countries.

Arabic - Most of the Middle East and North Africa.

Considering that most of the GMod playerbase is in Europe or North America, I'm going to go ahead and assume it's safe to say that most of the playerbase can speak somewhat decent English or at the very least read bits of it. Again, teaching Lua (GLua) in other languages is a pure waste as it's English.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    278 Posts
    I can see something similar to what happened with Minecraft happening.
    Here in case you've had your head in the sand

35. Post #35
    February 2010
    1,588 Posts
    I can see something similar to what happened with Minecraft happening.
    Here in case you've had your head in the sand
    Honestly I imagined it would happen at one point. It's like on open source projects like Ubuntu, numerous times contributors have hidden offensive things in it and backdoors. It's like in school how one or two kids ruin it for everyone. You always get those who can be responsible and helpful, and other ones that just want to ruin things. Those, my friend, are called assholes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)