1. Post #1
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts
    [release]
    Welcome to The Armory
    This thread is for discussing weapon loadouts and gameplay, ranging from simple hints to map-based tactics and, gasp!, teamwork.
    This is not the place to post cosmetic setups or ask for tips on what hat you should get, instead, you can post asking how best to use weapon X or class Y.

Useful Links and Information
    The TF2 Wiki
    Official Tips
    Game modes
    Mechanics
    Weapons of TF2

The Classes of TF2
    Offense: Scout - Soldier - Pyro
    Defense: Demoman - Heavy - Engineer
    Support: Medic - Sniper - Spy

Basic Strategies
    Offense: Scout - Soldier - Pyro
    Defense: Demoman - Heavy - Engineer
    Support: Medic - Sniper - Spy
    [/release]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,544 Posts
    I was under the impression that gameplay discussion was what the general was for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Pyrosexual Member (I vigorously masturbate to flames)
    March 2011
    9,638 Posts
    Rocket launcher is best launcher
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

4. Post #4
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts
    I was under the impression that this was what the general was for.
    I don't see much discussion in general chat about this, do you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Ern
    this title sucks
    July 2011
    5,978 Posts
    This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Also, Vanilla Scout is Best Scout.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    My waifu is the Scout.
    January 2012
    2,321 Posts
    Rocket launcher is best launcher
    Scattergun is best Scatter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

7. Post #7
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts

I dunno, the Wrap Assassin is a pretty handy melee weapon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Pony Extraordinaire
    October 2011
    6,134 Posts
    I was under the impression that gameplay discussion was what the general was for.
    You're in for a surprise then

9. Post #9
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,560 Posts
    Black Box #1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree x 10Agree x 5Optimistic x 3Dumb x 1Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,070 Posts
    You people are silly for not using the sandman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 14Agree Agree x 8 (list)

11. Post #11
    Ern
    this title sucks
    July 2011
    5,978 Posts
    Black box #1
    I once fell in love with the Black Box when it came out, I thought the +15 Health on Hit was quite a nice upside.
    But then, I went back to my old love; the Rocket Launcher.

It is but a myth, once you go Black, you can go back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts
    I once fell in love with the Black Box when it came out, I thought the +15 Health on Hit was quite a nice upside.
    But then, I went back to my old love; the Rocket Launcher.

It is but a myth, once you go Black, you can go back.
    It's the 3 rocket limit that gets me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Judging people just because of their avatars/titles is RETARDED
    March 2011
    8,560 Posts
    So we talk about loadouts that are useful to us?

Ok, Widowmaker, Pistol, Gunslinger.
    Widowmaker is good for combat and helps you to aim instead of reloading and spraying your aim everywhere. And instead of you scrambling around to find more metal for your mini-sentry you can shoot someone to get more!
    The pistol is backup incase you run out of metal, very helpful.

14. Post #14
    Pyrosexual Member (I vigorously masturbate to flames)
    March 2011
    9,638 Posts
    It's the 3 rocket limit that gets me.
    I always need that last rocket for picking off people, and the direct hit I suck with, so the only viable option for me is the default rocket launcher.

...Well, there's the Cow Mangler too, but I only pick it up when there's guaranteed no Engies.

15. Post #15
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    8,017 Posts
    for a pyro loadout I commonly find myself using:

Degreaser
    Shotgun
    Powerjack

I feel this is a well rounded loadout, and it's capable of being fairly useful against enemy pyros as well, it's one of the reasons why I don't use the flaregun often, it leaves me with little options against another pyro.

I always need that last rocket for picking off people, and the direct hit I suck with, so the only viable option for me is the default rocket launcher.

...Well, there's the Cow Mangler too, but I only pick it up when there's guaranteed no Engies.
    I can't tell you how many unattended sentries I've destroyed by stunning and shotgunning them.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,070 Posts
    for a pyro loadout I commonly find myself using:

Degreaser
    Shotgun
    Powerjack

I feel this is a well rounded loadout, and it's capable of being fairly useful against enemy pyros as well, it's one of the reasons why I don't use the flaregun often, it leaves me with little options against another pyro.

I can't tell you how many unattended sentries I've destroyed by stunning and shotgunning them.
    I don't think the flare gun is that bad against pyros, it does 30 damage per hit so it's not too bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,039 Posts

Pretty much but the Shortstop and Bonk are both extremely good, not only on their own but they synergize very well due to the Pistol being redundant with the SS

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,687 Posts
    I use the Degreaser, Reserve-Shooter, and Homewrecker or Axtinguisher

The Reserve-shooter is like an axtinguisher with bullets, it's also very handy for taking enemy pyros out as you don't need them on fire, and you can push them away as well, disabling them to do damage with the flamethrower. Homewrecker is great when you're on defense.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts
    So we talk about loadouts that are useful to us?

Ok, Widowmaker, Pistol, Gunslinger.
    Widowmaker is good for combat and helps you to aim instead of reloading and spraying your aim everywhere. And instead of you scrambling around to find more metal for your mini-sentry you can shoot someone to get more!
    The pistol is backup incase you run out of metal, very helpful.
    This is probably my favorite battle engie loadout. Dropping a mini-sentry and then running around to attack from the other side is a great distraction.

Edited:

I still find myself using the Mangler if there are engies, just because disabling their little camps can be really useful on a push. Sure, destroying them myself could work, but then I don't get to set them on fire as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    August 2007
    8,017 Posts
    I don't think the flare gun is that bad against pyros, it does 30 damage per hit so it's not too bad.
    It's pretty poor compared to the rapid 40-60 dmg you can inflict with the shotgun. And that's not counting crit shots either

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,070 Posts
    It's pretty poor compared to the rapid 40-60 dmg you can inflict with the shotgun. And that's not counting crit shots either
    But in non pyro vs. pyro situations you can simply light your enemy on fire and then shoot them with a crit flare. It's a weapon that does consistent damage at any range. When I face another pyro I tend to just stay back.

22. Post #22
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts
    But in non pyro vs. pyro situations you can simply light your enemy on fire and then shoot them with a crit flare. It's a weapon that does consistent damage at any range. When I face another pyro I tend to just stay back.
    Depending on the map, I airblast them back. Usually off the map so they fall to their death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2007
    8,017 Posts
    I still prefer having the peace of mind of having a weapon that's fairly effective against everything, though I do have a flaregun loadout, I should try using it more, seeing as I'm not fond of the axetinguisher

24. Post #24
    July 2009
    5,385 Posts
    Enforcer is bad mmmkay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,070 Posts
    Depending on the map, I airblast them back. Usually off the map so they fall to their death.
    That's what I do to phlog pyros, usually away from anyone they can light to avoid letting them fill up their mmph meter.
    I still prefer having the peace of mind of having a weapon that's fairly effective against everything, though I do have a flaregun loadout, I should try using it more, seeing as I'm not fond of the axetinguisher
    I don't feel safe using the axe.

26. Post #26
    BUY THE BROWN BOMBER
    February 2011
    6,696 Posts
    why does everyone hate the market gardener?

Shit's so fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,295 Posts
    Vanilla weapons all the way.

Except the Blutsauger, that thing is a godsend.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    August 2007
    8,017 Posts
    That's what I do to phlog pyros, usually away from anyone they can light to avoid letting them fill up their mmph meter.

I don't feel safe using the axe.
    Shotgun + Powerjack compliment eachother really well, one or two shots, then give them a good swat with the powerjack, bam, you just got HP back

why does everyone hate the market gardener?

Shit's so fun.

?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts
    Vanilla weapons all the way.

Except the Blutsauger, that thing is a godsend.
    Vanilla weapons are nice, but from a gameplay standpoint, some are obsolete now.

The fireaxe and bonesaw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,070 Posts
    I never bothered with the powerjack. I'll equip it later on.

Also the half-zatoichi is completely broken in medieval mode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    February 2011
    2,738 Posts
    Dead Ringer + Spycicle + Enforcer is best spy

(Just kidding, Dont send the hounds on me)
    I prefer my Strange Knife + Enthusiasts with either Ambassador if my ping is ok or Enforcer/Regular Revolver if its not...

32. Post #32
    October 2010
    1,502 Posts
    Any map with a lot of vertical room, particularly Hightower, I roll Cow Mangler + Gunboats + Equalizer(generally). Five rockets to jump around with and rain death with. Plus that map's so compact that there are only really so many spaces for Sentrys, though the minis are the only problem with the loadout.

33. Post #33
    November 2011
    385 Posts
    Kritzkrieg + Offensive/Defensive class = lotsafun

34. Post #34
    Ian
    I'll show you a gold member.
    June 2010
    6,513 Posts
    I think the Machina is a pretty decent sniper rifle.

:c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    February 2011
    2,738 Posts
    Also Rocket Launcher or Cow Mangler (depending on # of enemy engies and team support) + Gunboats + Market Gardner is loads of fun

36. Post #36
    October 2010
    5,289 Posts
    I think I prefer the Solemn Vow over the ubersaw...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    August 2007
    8,017 Posts
    I'm shocked there's people here who appreciate the cow mangler. And even more shocked how mature and civil this topic has been so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

38. Post #38
    September 2005
    12,066 Posts
    I think I prefer the Solemn Vow over the ubersaw...
    It's nice knowing enemy health and relaying that to your teammates.

I've been using the Solemn Vow for a little while now and it's always been useful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    The Cow Mangler is fucking awesome.

And once you get over the fact the particles suck get a mod to make the particles not suck, it's even better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    8,070 Posts
    I drop ubers too often so I use the vita saw.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)