1. Post #1
    Source: http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_n...icense-forever

The teenager who was driving a car that crashed in Charlestown last fall , injuring him and his three passengers, has lost his license forever.

A judiciary spokesperson said a traffic court judge imposed the severe penalty on the 17-year-old Tuesday. It means he will never again be able to get a license in Rhode Island.

The penalty is a provision that the judge says exists in state law, but has never been used.

"This traffic tribunal is no longer sitting idly by as our youth are killed and injured on our roads," said Judge William Guglietta.

"The time has come for a change in our attitude of our young people's driving and I hope this is the first step in accomplishing that goal," Guglietta added.

Investigators say the teen and his three friends had just left a party at the Richmond home of former Chariho school committee member Terri Serra when they crashed into a tree last October.
    Not sure how I feel about this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 38Winner x 7Friendly x 3Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,906 Posts
    While I'd be behind him losing his license for a year or two, but permanently? And he didn't kill anyone? Wat?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 90Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Wet Birds
    September 2005
    8,039 Posts
    And so we will see a dramatic increase in biking accidents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 43Optimistic Optimistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    6,057 Posts
    So, a 17 year old crashed a car, and injured himself and his passengers

totally fair to take away his license permanently
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 41Dumb Dumb x 8Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    "This traffic tribunal is no longer sitting idly by as our youth are killed and injured on our roads,"
    But nobody died it seems.

And then it says

The penalty is a provision that the judge says exists in state law, but has never been used.
    I feel like they're just trying to make use of the provision, just because. A permanent license loss is too severe a punishment for what the kid did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 45Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,132 Posts
    Death penalty!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny x 17Agree x 3Informative x 1Dumb x 1Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    POLITICAN
    Dennab
    August 2008
    7,023 Posts
    In rhode island, he moves to another state gets his licesnce and tadaa all good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

8. Post #8
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Good thing they stopped this dangerous person, he might vote Democrat!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 22Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Honestly, he can appeal it if he wants to...or just move.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    smallest state in the country, he can ride the bus and not miss out on anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 7 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    3,240 Posts
    While I'd be behind him losing his license for a year or two, but permanently? And he didn't kill anyone? Wat?
    The logic behind the decision is probably that the kid made such a bad decision that he shouldn't have a license that would enable him to endanger others again. But I would agree, from the minute amount of information given in the article you cannot come to the conclusion that he deserves to lose it forever.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    7,239 Posts
    He can just get a license from another state. It's not like Massachusetts isn't 5 minutes away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,251 Posts
    And yet there are people who continually drive drunk, drive while talking on a phone or texting, hit pedestrians and other drivers and still have THEIR licenses.

The logic behind the decision is probably that the kid made such a bad decision that he shouldn't have a license that would enable him to endanger others again. But I would agree, from the minute amount of information given in the article you cannot come to the conclusion that he deserves to lose it forever.
    There are far worse drivers on the road with much less regard for the safety of those around them, I mean does this kid have a history of terrible driving or something or is the judge just against him because he's young?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

14. Post #14
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    And yet there are people who continually drive drunk, drive while talking on a phone or texting, hit pedestrians and other drivers and still have THEIR licenses.
    All my rage when I see someone on their phone while driving.

What the fuck is so important that you have to be putting your life and my life at risk? It's probably a 30 minute car ride. Unless your mom just died, put the fucking phone down and concentrate on going in a straight line.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

15. Post #15

March 2012
    62 Posts
    Maybe he should have paid more attention to the Rhode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Zing Zing x 36Funny Funny x 10 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,001 Posts

There are far worse drivers on the road with much less regard for the safety of those around them, I mean does this kid have a history of terrible driving or something or is the judge just against him because he's young?

Dear god this.

My brother got two DUI's in a week a year ago and he can reapply for his license now. Does this make sense to any of you as well?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2011
    1,744 Posts
    I think its more that the Y and Milliunum(sp?) take most of our rights for granted, and then take our privileges as rights. However this harsh punishment doesn't coincide with the actually accident.

If he was a repeat offender then I would understand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    3,251 Posts
    All my rage when I see someone on their phone while driving.

What the fuck is so important that you have to be putting your life and my life at risk? It's probably a 30 minute car ride. Unless your mom just died, put the fucking phone down and concentrate on going in a straight line.
    Absolutely, you want to put your own life in danger? Fine, your call. Put the life of someone else in danger, especially over something so trivial? No, fuck off forever.
    Then there are the people who pay no attention to what's going on around them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    2,001 Posts
    Only reason my brother got one DUI charge dropped is he said he was doing the Navy's AA meetings, and represented himself in court.

I'm still shocked a year later by the fact he got two fucking DUI's in a week. After the first don't they take your license?

20. Post #20
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,604 Posts
    Take that criminal scum should've put him in jail

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,687 Posts
    There is a more serious threat to life when you are on the road: women.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    August 2005
    115 Posts
    Nice one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts
    There is truth to this. I have seen more women use their phones or drive simply awfully compared to men.

When I say awful, I mean like 10 under the speed limit awful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2007
    4,091 Posts
    Are you a poet?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,104 Posts
    While I disagree with this, this is a huge blow against teen car accidents.

Because just FYI, teens cause by far the most car accidents. I don't blame older adults for not being comfortable with teens essentially being kamikazes with no goal (and by accident of course).

Just imagine, some stupid kid who just jacks off all day killing you and for grandkids or kids because he was texting or sexting while driving.

Teens are all over the news these days, and all over the paved streets as grinded meat and splattered puddles.

I use this strong language since I have met this high ranking CHP officer many times (he shows the infamous Red Asphalt videos) and he has said that his job is essentially overseeing the cleaning of near liquefied teens off of miles of street pavements every week of his life.

This one guy had his head filed off (you know like when you use a nail file or you constantly use your pencil eraser, thus shaving it to nothing? That happened to this show off guy once and it was like a Google maps directions thing but red instead of yellow or whatever)

Again harsh, but you have no idea how fucking sick and tired the government is with cleaning up mangled teenagers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,632 Posts
    He should be drawn and quartered

all his family members should get a life sentence and everyone he's ever talked to needs to pay a fine of $400
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,906 Posts
    The logic behind the decision is probably that the kid made such a bad decision that he shouldn't have a license that would enable him to endanger others again.
    Inexperienced driver, likely distracted by his teenage passengers, ran off the road and hit a tree. Perfectly plausible course of events, and warrants at most a six month suspension coupled with some driver's ed. I could only see a permanent suspension if he was street racing and killed someone because of that, but the article makes no mention of anything of the sort.

Edited:

While I disagree with this, this is a huge blow against teen car accidents.

Because just FYI, teens cause by far the most car accidents. I don't blame older adults for not being comfortable with teens essentially being kamikazes with no goal (and by accident of course).

Just imagine, some stupid kid who just jacks off all day killing you and for grandkids or kids because he was texting or sexting while driving.

Teens are all over the news these days, and all over the paved streets as grinded meat and splattered puddles.

I use this strong language since I have met this high ranking CHP officer many times (he shows the infamous Red Asphalt videos) and he has said that his job is essentially overseeing the cleaning of near liquefied teens off of miles of street pavements every week of his life.

This one guy had his head filed off (you know like when you use a nail file or you constantly use your pencil eraser, thus shaving it to nothing? That happened to this show off guy once and it was like a Google maps directions thing but red instead of yellow or whatever)

Again harsh, but you have no idea how fucking sick and tired the government is with cleaning up mangled teenagers.
    Instead of overreacting we need to get some decent standardized driver's ed in America. The simple fact of the matter is that it's too easy to get your license. Most states, mine is one of them, put the onus of educating new drivers on their parents, who are often getting their kids a license because they're too busy to shuttle them around. Thus, they're unable to teach the kids how to drive.

We put in federally mandated driver's ed for all fifty states and we'll see a HUGE reduction in teen driving mishaps, and we don't have to ruin their livelihoods forever to do it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

28. Post #28

March 2012
    62 Posts
    Are you a poet?
    You know it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Philippines Show Events Zing Zing x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,294 Posts
    Circa how long does it take to get a driver's license in America?

I know the average person spends around 4-5 months here in Norway.

30. Post #30
    December 2009
    1,498 Posts

It depends. Generally if you're over 18 you can walk into a DMV, take the driving test that takes about ten to fifteen minutes, and if you pass you get your driver's license. This varies from state to state of course, some states require you to take a Drug and Alcohol test which can take anywhere from two to three hours to complete.

This is all assuming you're over 18 and know how to drive mind you.

31. Post #31
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,841 Posts

If you're under 18 you have to log hours driving and get instructed

But once you're over you can just do what SwissArmyKnife said

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,677 Posts
    So what, are they going to take the license of everyone involved in an accident now? Everyone gets in one eventually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Former 101st AB Infantryman
    Dennab
    March 2012
    536 Posts
    Well that's retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    "hurr gurls r bd drivurs lol amirite bros. wats beting a ded hors?????"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,833 Posts
    So what, are they going to take the license of everyone involved in an accident now? Everyone gets in one eventually
    Even the car gets in trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    There is truth to this. I have seen more women use their phones or drive simply awfully compared to men.

When I say awful, I mean like 10 under the speed limit awful.
    Wherever you live, you have shit drivers. I see tons of women driving where i live, and they drive just as well as anyone else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,687 Posts
    Wherever you live, you have shit drivers. I see tons of women driving where i live, and they drive just as well as anyone else.
    Are you playing videogames or what? Every time i drive i risk my life because women doesn't know when to turn or they can't stay on the fucking right side of the road. It's a bit generalized but it's not far from reality.

Oh, and don't get me started on guys with hats. Worst drivers ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2009
    2,583 Posts
    Are you playing videogames or what? Every time i drive i risk my life because women doesn't know when to turn or they can't stay on the fucking right side of the road. It's a bit generalized but it's not far from reality.

Oh, and don't get me started on guys with hats. Worst drivers ever.
    I'm driving in real life on very curvy roads. Unless you have 14 year old girls stealing there dads cars daily, you overstate shit so badly.

39. Post #39
    December 2009
    1,498 Posts
    "hurr gurls r bd drivurs lol amirite bros. wats beting a ded hors?????"
    I do think it's kind of ironic you're talking about beating dead horses as you mock him in broken eleven year old facebook english. Seriously the only time I see anyone writing like that anymore is when they're mocking someone.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,687 Posts
    I'm driving in real life on very curvy roads. Unless you have 14 year old girls stealing there dads cars daily, you overstate shit so badly.
    I'm driving in Italy and i'm still alive.

Women here are usually really bad at driving, when you look them while they drive they seem high as fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)